Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice wanted - purchase choices and negotiation  (Read 2788 times)

Offline CaptainJack

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
Advice wanted - purchase choices and negotiation
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:16 am »
Hi ,

I've decided that my next car is going to be a GTI. I'm in the market for a mk5 and have narrowed it down to two choices, both with VW main dealers and both asking 15k.

Car 1 = 3 yrs and 3 months old. Edition 30 with 30k on the clock. No goodies except heated seats (and that standard part-leather interior which I love) ,manual. Silver, 3dr.

Car 2 = 2yrs and 9 months old . "normal" GTI with 19k on the clock , no extras. Black, 5 dr.

Obviously, some of this is simply personal preference but I'm interested to know if there is a big opinion from the experienced owners here that can indicate if a particular model is better on a long-term basis. I do like the look of the 3 dr ED30 more, I have always thought that hatches look "hotter" in 3dr form. However, the other is 6 months younger and ten k less on the clock.

Shame that neither have any goodies but the ones with nav and DSG are - obviously - asking more. In fact, I think too much, the difference is practically  the cost of the extras as if they were new.

Also and most importantly, how are VW dealers when it comes to reductions? I am really banking on being able to negotiate down to a grand off instead of battle over tanks of petrol and cheap services... does this sound realistic? One has been on a while (the edi30) the other is newish onto the forecourt. I have no px and can buy with cash (gone are the days it seems when that meant something).

Any advice or thoughts would be really useful.

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Advice wanted - purchase choices and negotiation
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:29:34 am »
I assume they both look like they're in about the same condition overall? And propably both have a very clean service history?
I personally don't think 11k and 6months is so big of a deal. Some people like to check the manufacturing date too. ED30s might have been built closer to that date they were sold and registred. (??)

I think I'd take the ed30 in a heart beat since it's more unique and might hold it's value better. we don't even have ed30s in Finland  :sad1:

If the black on just came to the dealers I doubt they'll give you as much discount as you might get with the ed30. 1k from 15 is like 6,6% discount. For me that sounds very realistic. In Finland almost every dealer dropped the price around 10% before I even went to see the car but again I dont know how different things are in the UK. Ten precent sounds pretty fair discount to me if you're offering only money in trade.

Welcome to the forum! :happy2:

P.S. Any flaws in my typing you'll have to blame my parents for rasing me so far up north  :smiley:
Best things in life are not things.

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:59:39 am »
if it was me...

if i was planning on modifying it get the ED30

if not i would get the gti

Its that simple in my mind  :grin:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:05:04 am »
Edition 30 for me, i would keep looking around though, get one with more toys, as for 1k off it depends how much they are asking in the first place, i think you may struggle to get 1k off if there as cheap as your making them sound, although if there stuggling to sell you may be ok, they probably have about 2.5k profit in the car to play with

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:05:52 am »
I'd want to know how many owners each car has had. Plus, if the car is less than 3 years old, and you intend to keep it for a while, you have the opportunity to extend the warranty. Of course this assumes a full dealer service history. I certainly wouldn't buy a car of this age without it. If you have cash & no px you should get a grand off no problems. Walk away if you don't.

Bottom line, get the one which gives you 'the fizz' as James May would say. Drive both, and choose as they could feel worlds apart on the road.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:08:29 am »
I'd want to know how many owners each car has had. Plus, if the car is less than 3 years old, and you intend to keep it for a while, you have the opportunity to extend the warranty. Of course this assumes a full dealer service history. I certainly wouldn't buy a car of this age without it. If you have cash & no px you should get a grand off no problems. Walk away if you don't.

Bottom line, get the one which gives you 'the fizz' as James May would say. Drive both, and choose as they could feel worlds apart on the road.

the thing is there not fussed about cash these days (proper VW dealers especially), its all about gap insurance, paint protecion, finance deals and P/X as decent second cars are hard for them to source
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:10:15 am by 182_blue »

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:11:12 am »
True, but they will be more likely to discount without a px. I saved a bundle on mine by doing a cash deal. I just told them how much I was going to pay and told em to say 'yes' or 'no'. No haggle, no mess,  :evilgrin:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:57:19 am »
I shouldn't worry to much about the lack of 'toys' as most things can be retro-fitted pretty cheaply these days.

And as for which to go for.................. having owned both I'd say the ED30 as the part leather, heated seats and extra horsepower and tuning capability are well worth sacrificing a few months and miles!  :happy2:

Offline marty341

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:01 am »
I shouldn't worry to much about the lack of 'toys' as most things can be retro-fitted pretty cheaply these days.

And as for which to go for.................. having owned both I'd say the ED30 as the part leather, heated seats and extra horsepower and tuning capability are well worth sacrificing a few months and miles!  :happy2:
+1 :happy2:

Offline CaptainJack

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:21:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I do know that the ED30 is just the one owner and he "thinks" has fsh - either way I'm sure VW doesn't take on ones that look really  dodgy.

Don't think it has this centre armrest that everyone is keen on. To be honest, I am leaning more towards the ed30 but on the downside it seems reasonably priced and they might not be interested in taking off a grand...that said, its been there a while.

The black one is just up the road and , as someone mentioned earlier, is young enough to still be eligible for an extended vw warranty..

Planning to keep this next buy a long time so have spent some time looking and planning and will continue to do so ...can certainly walk away if need be.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:28:02 pm by CaptainJack »

Offline CaptainJack

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 06:32:37 pm »
Defo only after the ED3O. Had the day off today and went up to my local dealer to look at the black gti..spent ages outside and then went in to talk to a sales guy to find out about previous owners, sh etc.. nobody came over for about ten mins so I told the secretary i'll call back. to be honest i wasn't that peeved because the car just didn't blow me away and have the charisma of the EDi...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:39:17 pm by CaptainJack »