Make a donation

Author Topic: Project Blue Bullet DRL  (Read 1539 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Project Blue Bullet DRL
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:00:19 am »
Well i have been looking at DRL for some time now but i didn't want to pay a fortune for proper S6 ones and i also didnt want the Chav Fairy light types that have about 60 LED's per strip.

I did some hunting and found these S6 style ones for £30 delivered on Ebay so thought i would take a Punt as if it didn't work i hadn't lost much.

So they arrived last week and today was the first chance i had to actually fit them. However i wanted it looking as OEM as possible.

I was confident enough to take the headlights apart but on looking i doubted there would be the required space.

So as i had taken the lower end grille bits out before to colour code i decided i would look to see if they fit. As the they were just about perfect for length etc i thought i would have a go.

So taking a Drill and a Stanley Knife i proceeded to cut out the Gap required. Once i had done this i was left with some holes. However i had a cunning plan.

Anyway the lights came with Either 3M tape to secure or a bracket to use Screws. I decided that the tape was the best option so i cut the gap out so that one of the recessed bits of the Grille would provided the perfect securing platform.

Once that was done and i was happy with the positioning etc i stuck them down with tape.

Now for the gaps i decided i needed some way of filling them. I had some spare bathroom sealant knocking around so i used that. Smoothed it all off as best i can using my finger and a knife and once it is dry i will paint it race blue using as a touch up pen that i have. That way unless you look really closely they will look like an OEM fitment (Hopefully)

my only dilema now is to find a wire that is linked to the Ignition so that these come on with the ignition. Does anyone have any idea where i could find one in the engine. My only other option is to wire them into the Sidelights. But i would prefer to have them on wether the lights are on or not.

Here are a few pics. Don't worry the sealant will be Blue once it has dried.

And working

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
Re: Project Blue Bullet DRL
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:38:38 pm »
Well update

Because the dog for some reason took a liking to the wire i had to move the Grilles from where i had been leaving them to dry.

I had a quick touch test of the Sealant and it's bone dry. Maybe i wasn't quite using an 8mm x 6mm bead as it said on the tin which could be why it's dried in a Couple of hours.

Anyhow i have painted one coat of touch up paint on it and im quite impressed. It seems to be sticking but will have a look in an hour or so.

Here are a few more pics

Just struggling now to find a Switched live in the Fuse panel in the car.

Just want to check im doing this right. I attach the Black wire to the Negative side of the Battery and then the red wire to somewhere in the fuse box which is live when the Ignition is on????

I have found a way of tapping into the wire on the High Pressure sensor for the Aircon which only comes on when the ignition is on. What i don't want to do though is Knacker up the aircon if i use scotch block connectors to tap in to the wire.

Any help would be appreciated

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:54:40 pm »
wow looking good dude........ yh your correct black to negative on batt, and red to were ever your taking your feed from...... DO NOT i repeat DO NOT lol use scotch blocks being an auto electrician i can not emphasise how sh1te they are plus there not water proof....... were bouts are you based bud ??

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »
Im in folkestone  :smiley:

Going to do trial and error looking for a switched live in the Dash Fuse panel.

Really need to get myself a Volt Meter :grin:

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 03:30:03 pm »
oh fair enough you should find a spare ignition fed fuse slot in the fuse board no problem bud  :happy2:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:17:56 pm »
They look like a nice fit in those grills.
Should look good when its all finished and on the car!
Ant