Make a donation

Author Topic: Panel Filter Fitment - Edition 30?  (Read 35876 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Panel Filter Fitment - Edition 30?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 07:57:04 am »
^^^ Not sure on the cost but it wouldn't be cheap.

Another tip is to run a engine for a couple of minutes if its cold as this will help loosen up the rubber mounts  :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 08:02:26 am »
Yeah the cover can be a little tricky. As I think I've said in a post somewhere else, start at the top right, then work your way round anti-clockwise.

Pull at the top right corner, and also very slightly at the bottom right corner, and try to pull upwards and towards the front of the car at the same time. Once you get that top right plug off, the rest come off in seconds. You need to give it some force though, don't be afraid! I've taken mine off about 20 times, each time with no problem.

On a cold day like today do as Steve says and run the engine for a couple of mins to warm up the rubber plugs. If, however, this is inconvenient (i.e. incase you are accessing other areas of the engine at the same time, which may get too hot too touch), then get a hairdryer and just use it around/below the cover to get some heat into the plugs!

:smiley: :smiley:

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 08:52:29 am »
Just to add to this thread I have the K&N filter and the figures my car achieves aren't to be sniffed at.

One question I do have however, why don't the big boys (awesome etc) stock ITG? I have considered swapping mine but Im more than happy with the performance my car is giving me  :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 08:58:30 am »
Just to add to this thread I have the K&N filter and the figures my car achieves aren't to be sniffed at.

One question I do have however, why don't the big boys (awesome etc) stock ITG? I have considered swapping mine but Im more than happy with the performance my car is giving me  :happy2:

I bought an ITG before I put my carbonio in (I wasn't aware that the Carbonio came with a filter), but now I'm just running the Pipercross filter that came with the Carbonio. No noticeable differences whatsoever. And I must say, that the pipercross is just as well built as the ITG, and its as dry as a desert compared with my ITG which was literally dripping in oil!

Not that that answers your question, but just gives another viewpoint about a different filter to ITG.

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 09:02:00 am »

I bought an ITG before I put my carbonio in (I wasn't aware that the Carbonio came with a filter), but now I'm just running the Pipercross filter that came with the Carbonio. No noticeable differences whatsoever. And I must say, that the pipercross is just as well built as the ITG, and its as dry as a desert compared with my ITG which was literally dripping in oil!

Not that that answers your question, but just gives another viewpoint about a different filter to ITG.

The K&N was pretty dry too so I had no reservations  :wink:

Just because the ITG seems to be at the top end of the price range doesn't always mean it will out perform the rest  :confused: Has there ever been any conclusive tests?

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 09:03:04 am »
jkm do a green cotton panel filter, cheap mod for £35.
i got one of these when had the car mapped about 12 months ago and had no problems   :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 09:07:33 am »
I remember years ago when induction kits were all the rage on little hatchbacks that green filters were always the loudest!

Candy - do you get any noise from yours? Both the ITG and Pipercross give off no noise, but then you can't expect it really considering its in an enclosed airbox! Just curious about the green really...!

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 10:28:24 am »
Did you guys disconnect anything else before removing the engine cover?

http://www.swankmonkey.com/vw/jetta/2006/remove_engine_cover/

This guy seemed to have disconnected a few things.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 10:57:09 am »
My Carbonio intake came with a PiperCross panel filter but ITG have an excellent reputation.

From whom?

The ITG filter is certainly of very robust multilayered construction and fits the 'box' very tightly, so sealing is good - Better quality than the PiperCross which in turn is much better than the standard 'paper' panel. Extremely low maintenance was also a factor in my decision - No additional oiling is ever needed and just an occasional dust off. Also a lifetime warranty.

K&N also have a lifetime warranty to, but I wouldn't even fit one of them to my lawn mower - never mind a modern car with a MAF!  :scared:

Don't forget that the VW standard filter gets thrown away and replaced every ?,000 miles when servicing - What does that tell you?

I don't get your point.  The 'standard' VW oil filter gets thrown away on a routine basis, as does the engine oil, the DSG oil, and the DSG oil filter.  So, by the simple fact that the OEM paper air filter actually collects and holds any contaminents, ready to be disposed of in a routine manner (and therefore quantifiable) - has got to be far more efficient at filtration than something which never, ever needs changing.

So, by using that logic, how would you feel if you got a fone call on Monday morning, either from your highly trusted VW dealer, or JKM, VWR, Awesome - or whoever.  And the phone call went something like "Good morning Mr RedRobin - I am foning to tell you that we will change your engine oil, and refill it with oil that has a lifetime warranty, and never needs changing.  It is guaranteed for 250k miles - and your engine will see noticeable gains in performance, reliability, emissions" . . . . . I don't know how you would react, but my answer would be a brief two-word reply, begining in "F" and ending in "F" - quickly followed by ending the call.  :rolleye:

Air filters are designed to have two specific primary functions - and whilst one is a trade-off from the other, and vice versa - both those primary functions are pretty vital on a road car engine.

The ITG Pro-filter utilizes the same three layer reticulated polyester foam used on the MAXOGEN air filters. Unlike some of the competition, ITG filters have a massive dust load-up tolerance, which is the ability to absorb a large amount of dust without reducing air flow capacity. With the standard K03 turbo I wouldn't like to say that any performance gains are appreciable without proper scientific testing. However, the manufacturers claim about +2 bhp is possible.

2 bhp is nothing.  Completely insignificant.  Greater changes could be seen from changing a dirty OEM filter for a new OEM filter.  OK, granted, a new OEM filter won't give any increases over and above the manufacturers standard power outputs - but it will provide considerably more filtration protection compared any 'foam' or cotton types of filters.

It's also MAF-friendly!

How can you say that?  It is an 'oiled' filter, and even if you do 'clean' most of the oil off, some will still find its way onto the MAF.

And what about the TURBO?  All that unfiltered air goes through the turbo - and as you well know - fcuk up a turbo (for whatever reason), and they certainly aint cheap.  The cheap cost of £50, along with the "extra 2bhp" (whooo hooo!) will be long forgotten when you have to lash out £1500 for a new turbo.  :sad:

And probably more benefit to a remapped car.

Remapping alone wont be aided by just a freer flowing air filter.  How can it?  Physics provides the correct answers.  A 'freer flowing' air filter will only provide noticeable benefits if, and only if other associated changes are made throughout the 'air circuit' of the 'engine'.  For the GTI, that would mean: exhaust system, cats, and intercoolers.  So, on that theme, a Milltek zorst, and/or an uprated intercooler will provide far greater improvements compared to any filter (even a completely removed filter) - but won't jeopardise the reliability of the engine, MAF or turbo.

If you plan on keeping your car, as I do, then it'll quickly pay for itself by not needing to replace it - 50 squid well spent imo.

Sorry, disagree.  Non-standard air filters must be one of the least sensible mods to do on a road car!  OK, an aftermarket may be very cheap in the overall scheme of modifications - but its 'fcukability factor' must be one of the highest!

TEUTONIC DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANY AFTERMARKET AIR FILTERS!
:sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 11:00:01 am »
^^^^^^^

Is it true that F1 cars use paper filters too? I remember reading this somewhere! That speaks volumes really.

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 11:02:11 am »
I think it should be very straightforward to fit... however I went out this afternoon to do it and couldn't get the engine cover off! Came back indoors and searched on this and a couple of other forums and it looks as though a number of people have had the same issue - I think I was just too scared to apply the requisite amount of force to pull it off the 4 mounting points.

If/when you do get the top cover off, smear some silicone grease over the four nylon posts and in the rubber grommets.  This will make it much easier in the future.  And it must be silicone grease.  If you use any petroleum-based grease (such as lithium or moly wheel bearing grease, or even vaseline  :ashamed:  :embarrassed:) - it will rot the rubber grommets, making them saggy - and your cover will eventually start to waggle around.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 11:07:43 am »
^^^^^^^

Is it true that F1 cars use paper filters too? I remember reading this somewhere! That speaks volumes really.

They vary - some do use 'foam' types, others just use a fine wire mesh!  But then an F1 engine goes in the skip after a max of just 1,000 miles!  And they cost half a million quid a time!

And yes, they do suffer with cylinder bore wear due to unfiltered air (though this isn't usually a cause of F1 engine failures).
------

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 11:22:41 am »
^^^^^^^

They vary - some do use 'foam' types, others just use a fine wire mesh!  But then an F1 engine goes in the skip after a max of just 1,000 miles!  And they cost half a million quid a time!

And yes, they do suffer with cylinder bore wear due to unfiltered air (though this isn't usually a cause of F1 engine failures).

Thanks T_T  :happy2:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 03:50:35 pm »
just to add theres also a nice thread on golfmkv at the mo where someone (albeit under non strict conditions) used the airflow readin for std vs K&N , the K&N was lower so he took it off!
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76574

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 06:37:47 pm »
^^^^
Plenty of food for thought there, T_T!!

Btw, a minor point, but my mention of 2bhp was to make the point that any gain, IF proveable, was merely/only/possibly 2bhp and so nothing dramatic should be expected.

I'm not going to answer the rest of your post - Your statements are quite clear and logical.
Anyone want to buy an ITG filter?  :evilgrin:

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!