Make a donation

Author Topic: iphone prep conversion  (Read 2045 times)

Offline GeeTeeI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
iphone prep conversion
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:41:30 pm »
Hi

I'm new round here, just bought my mk5 gti today.
It has a rather nasty (and standard) nokia phone prep on the dashboard.
I'm wanting to connect my iphone, ideally with bluetooth, but certainly with music and phone.
Is it possible to convert the standard nokia phone prep with iphone connections?

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: iphone prep conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:08:43 am »
If as I think it is that is a very basic phone kit and IMHO not worth trying to get a holder for it.  I think they are bluetooth but it's often not enabled and even then I think it would only support Nokia(rSAP) and wouldn't have such features as A2DP.

You are in a fortunate position that you will have all of the wiring in place for the full bluetooth and you just need to change the interface which is located under the drivers seat.  If you just want bluetooth and you have a full size DiS then a 729B control unit will be ideal but these are no longer made and rare as the proverbial rocking horse dung.

If you want A2DP then you need a 7P6 control unit. One issue you will have is that you'll need an RNS510 headunit to control it.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline GeeTeeI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:49:28 am »
its an MFD2  :sad1:

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 09:47:24 am »
Sadly the MFD2 has no support for built in telephones except for mute.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:04:47 am »
Would agree with what vRStu said, however when I had an MFD2, I used a Parrot CK3000 Evolution in the car. Mine was fitted with a special harness that allowed integration with the steering wheel controls, and therefore didn't require the little parrot control box fitting to the dash. If your car doesn't have a MFSW, then just use the little button.

I have to say it worked pretty well, so much so that now I have a RNS-510, it's still fitted and I can't really justify the £300 or so for ripping it out and replacing it with the VW/Skoda Bluetooth kit. At the end of the day it did and does what I wanted it to do. Mute the stereo, direct the sound through the drivers side front speaker etc.

If your Iphone is at least a 3GS (or better still a 4), then the built in voice dialling works really well on mine, so I don't really need the functionality of a built in address book on the RNS (which you would not have access to on the MFD2 anyway).

Better still, I picked up my kit new from the bay, for only £50, and fitted it in just over an hour. Works like a dream.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:06:53 am by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr