All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
Tyre Pressures
Phil Mcavity:
hmmm does seem abit high 42psi, i would follow the owners handbook tbh, only higher pressure for heavy loads or possibly the in-laws :ashamed:
rdfcpete:
I have the 17" Monza's. The Hanyes manual reckons 28psi all round, which I think is way to low.
I was thinking 32psi all round to keep the highest possible MPG?
Gene Hunt:
Ever had any problems with the T.P.S ?.
icenutter:
It doesn't actually measure the pressure, rather it compares the rotational speed of the tyres using the ABS sensors to work out which one is spinning faster, which is probably then flat.
The actual pressure the tyres are at doesn't have that much to do with it.
Teutonic_Tamer:
--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on February 03, 2009, 08:59:56 pm ---The reason for my query is that T_T has said on the other forum that:
--- Quote from: Teutonic_Tamer on February 03, 2009, 12:28:26 pm ---I run mine at 42 front and 37 rear.
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---
And in my RS4 I run 48 front and 45 rear . . . .
--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on February 03, 2009, 08:59:56 pm ---He said that this will provide good handing capabilities. I've never pumped a tyre into the 40's, so it just seems like a lot to me!
--- End quote ---
Is that some kind of 'mental wall'. I've pumped many a tyre to 120 psi - OK, not on a road car tyre, but still on a road legal 'normal' vehicle! Best you check your pram wheel space saver, because that needs specifically pumping up to 61 psi!!
--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on February 03, 2009, 08:59:56 pm --- Not that I'm questioning his judgement, but I was just asking to see if anyone else adopted a similar approach.
I have no interest in setting them for ride comfort or mpg, but merely for handling capabilities!
--- End quote ---
As I have often stated, the tyre pressures on the fuel flap or B pillar are simply RECOMMENDED pressures - which must be suitable not to rattle your grannies dentures out, whilst still maintaining some kind of decorum in the twisties. The owner/driver is perfectly free to 'tweak' their own tyre pressures to suit their own preferences. Finally, those manufacturer recommended pressures are ONLY for OEM spec tyres, with OEM tyre sizes and OEM load indexes - so even if you keep an identical tyre size and load index as OEM, but change to a non-OEM tyre such as Mich PS2, Eagle F1, Toyo Proxies, or whatever, you then need to re-apraise what tyre pressures work the best for you. So for all those 'wheel whores' out there (not mentioning anyone, except <cough> Hurdy and Greenouse <cough> :laugh:) - you got no chance! :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version