Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 clocks.  (Read 2656 times)

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
MK6 clocks.
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:17:01 pm »
I've found a set of these VW PART NUMBER - 5K0 920 960H and wandered if any has fitted them to mk5 gti? I can't find any mention in the searches only regarding switching between mid line and high line and the differences between older and newer cars. I think they'd make a nicer look to the cabin plus they're high line!

And failing that these sre from an R32 Vw Volkswagen MK5 Golf R32 Speedo Instruments Cluster 1K6 920 974 B. Is there a way of finding out from the code what year these are taken from and would there be any problem fitting them to a Gti?

I'll give them a bell tomorrow but just wanted a heads up on them.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:30:16 pm by dajonic »

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: MK6 clocks.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »
I expect that you'd be able to physically substitute the Mk5 R32 cluster but would need some re-programming via VW's equivalent of VCDS - Wouldn't overall mileage data be a problem?

I doubt you could substitute a Mk6 cluster into a Mk5 because isn't the shape and angling different? Someone like SteveP who has had both Mk5 and Mk6 would know.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:07:35 pm »
Cheers Robin I'll pm Steve.

By overall mileage data do you mean the transfering my readings to the new clocks? I know people are mentioning shark performance(i think) for swapping clocks. I was assuming that mileage would be overwritten as the clocks would be coded to a different car. I think theres a cut off point regarding swapping between certain years of clock manufacturer. Whether or not that makes it impossible or just different software is required I'm not sure.

Cheers.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:32 pm »
^^^^
Yes, I'm not sure about it, but I do mean transferring mileage readings for your chassis #.

I personally know Ben who is Mister Shark and if he says he can do something, he usually can.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:04:31 pm »
mk6 would be a no go, the white lcd and cluster in general uses a different protocol to the MK5 as its moved over to the newer BAP protocol, so you would have to replace every computer in the car.  There was a fairly detailed info on the cluster part numbers recently think it was stickied in the technical how to, it breaks the part number down for year high line and speedo reading.

And the age issue is to do with chnages to the imobiliser code, to make it harder to clock a car, so you can fit the newer clusters to older cars but you need special equipment like the stuff shark have, as you need to communicate with germany to retrieve the code, rather than just copying the bin files from one cluster to another.  

Will have a search for a link to the thread you need....

Sticky link to the info you need. clicky
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:12:15 pm by Richn83 »

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:17:44 pm »
^^^^
Quality info there from both you and Stu  :notworthy:

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:43:14 am »
Richn83 and all you guys thank you :happy2: