Make a donation

Author Topic: When to replace tyres  (Read 2216 times)

Offline ccaasjf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
When to replace tyres
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:19:45 pm »
Hiya

Have Dunlop Sport Max (factory fit) fitted to the car at the moment, done 18.8k so far.

Driver side has 3mm of tread left and the passenger side has 4mm tread left.

I know the legal limit is 1.6mm but had heard less than 3mm of tread and you get significant performace drop off from tests conducted is this right?

Had to replaced one of the rears due to a nail this month.

Is it ok to run Dunlop Sport Max at the back and Continental at the front for example?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
Re: When to replace tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:42:56 pm »
you should try and use the same tyres on the same axle.

I too heard about the 3mm thing - all depends if you want to spend the money earlier than planned and what kind of driving you do as to if you should swap them earlier.

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 01:43:27 pm »
Probably okay to run tyres down to about 2mm in dryer weather but in winter you want as much tread as possible.

You can have different types of tyres on the car but I'd recommend that you replace in pairs. Usual best practice is to put the new ones on the rear.
Andy
7R

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:14:54 pm »
always replace in pairs, but you have to ask yourself, in this weather, how low you're prepared to let them get

those four black circles are the only thing keeping your car on the road, why risk minimum grip?

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:16:23 am »
My Bridgestone Potenza's on my ED30 lasted 5500 miles  :scared: ??? I use my car for commuting at legal speeds no real abuse, couldn't believe it - hope the Continetal Sport Contact 3's last a little longer !

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:22:28 am »
I'm down to 2mm on the same tyres as you and and getting them replaced this week, still OK in the dry but far to eager to wheelspin in even the slightlest damp condition when setting off on any sort of incline.  Also I've noticed the inside of the tyres is really worn away - would still pass an MOT apparantly though.  I remember reading that this was a bit of an issue with these Dunlops?

Replacing them with Falken 452's - heard a lot of great reviews about these and they are a good price.

I'd always heard with a fwd car you put the best tyres on the front?  This makes sense to me as these are the wheels doing all the work: power/steering/lions share of the braking?
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 08:38:07 am »
Some people say always put new on the rear, I always put them on where needed.  Occasionally I may swap front to back - as backs last longer so dont want them to get too old.

I have just ordered a couple more F1 Asym's, thought about cheaper tyres for the mk4 but they only work out about £10-£15 cheaper so not bothered as there is always the risk of being dissapointed with them and then feeling like I've wasted all the money.