Make a donation

Author Topic: alpine amps  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
alpine amps
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:59:57 am »
got a call of a friend ,asking if i could hav a look at his audio in his of on the way home, put a multi meter across the terimals & thier was only 6 volts to both of them...closer look at the power cap find it hadn't been earthed at all but the worsr thing was the amps were not secure(screwed down)thing what had happenend is when he was driving home the amp slide in to the power cap & touched the terimals & turned the amps of...anyway i don't know why but after a bit of testing i got the amps working..so the idiot starts messing about with the wiring and touches the amp onto the power cap & shorts the system out & turns the amps of again,so my question is is the alpine amps gone back into safe astra...he tells me the his mate installed it all & was working fine bue it went mode & come back on or are they f--ked

Offline Alexander

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Re: alpine amps
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:29:16 am »
try disconnecting all power to the amps for a few mins then reconnect and they should be working if not they are fecked
2005 Black Audi A3 Sportback TDI-Bose and Full Leather
2005 Black 3Dr GTI-Leather and Upgraded Sound System-Gone

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:59:26 am »
tryed  disconnecting all the power & reconnecting but still don't work-think they are ready for the bin

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:16:22 am »
As others have said disconnect leave for a while i normally go for 20mins depending on the storage capacity of the PSU in the amps. Then try reconnecting. Oh and best thing to do with a power cap is put it in the bin!
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:29:07 am »
i left them over night disconnected and he reconnected them this morning and they are now working--i was always told to put power caps in to a build to stop draining all the power from your alternator  and battery

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:51 pm »
Marketing myth  :wink:
Im an Electronics engineer by trade and have shown the maths many times on audio forums to prove the point. The type of capacitors now sold as stiffling caps simply don't do what the marketing men claim or even the self proclaimed experts claim they do. I won't bore you with the 3 pages of why and all the maths. I will just say they are a waste of money.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:41:38 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.