Make a donation

Author Topic: vRSAlex's Octavia vRS Estate - New Mods On  (Read 261500 times)

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: BDMAlex's Octavia vRS Estate
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 01:22:07 pm »
Here is the latest pic of the engine bay.  Still running the K03 at the moment, but I'm in the process of doing a K04 hybrid.  The turbo should be finished by the end of the week hopefully.  The car runs a Revo stage 2+ map.  Its got an APR fuel pump and a Blueflame decat turbo back system.

Got this through from Peloquins.  Their new high torque diff.  Its mean to feel more like a plated diff.  I need to get a clutch ordered and I will fit the diff at the same time.

I did use to have a blue Ibiza Cupra.

www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 03:06:40 pm »

Ah very nice keep up the good work  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I used to have a blue ibiza cupra and live near PhilW his is a work of art as your was!
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

h4rdy

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »
first time ive seen that intake
how does it comapre with what everyone else is running?
oh welcome and nice colour motor!!
matsu

Its very similar to the ITG, but we make our own pipework and use SFS for the hoses.  We only use the non oiled pipercross filters and also found we get better results without using a headshield.  The shield blocks off the main airflow to the filter through the slam pannel.

Nice Car Mate  :happy2:

Almost as nice as my Race Blue Hatch………But not quite  :P :evilgrin:

Thanks. I think   :P

Alex, I like the look of the intake kit, is there any advantage of having the pipes ceramic coated?

Have you done a direct comparison with, for example, ITG Maxogen, which puts the filter in its own compartment?

I see the top pipe has a mounting plate but does the filter have some kind of fixing bracket too?

And lastly how much does it come in at, and is there any member discounts/GB available? :innocent:

You can tell me to piss off if you like!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 06:26:44 pm »

I cant fully answer the questions until I get the turbo back and have it all tested.

Our one will have uprated bearings, larger comp wheel and a small cut back on the exhaust wheel.  We are NOT using a K24 or a K26 comp wheel as there are much better wheels available.

You will be able to use your old K04 unit as the bearings are changed and I can get new cores if shafts are broken.  No need to buy a new unit.  This should keep costs down.  Im still guessing around the £995 + vat region, but maybe less.  It should last longer than the standard unit.

Not sure on injectors at the moment, but I think the standard S3 injectors will be ok.

More info when the turbo come back.

are you changing your engine internals.  I was under the impression that the k03 BWA engine isnt as strong internally as the k04 engines due to the higher compression ratio.

DanGB bent piston rods on his with the APR GT28 which IIRC was only running 391Hp with WMI when he upgraded from his K03 leon

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 10:22:52 am »

Alex, I like the look of the intake kit, is there any advantage of having the pipes ceramic coated?

Have you done a direct comparison with, for example, ITG Maxogen, which puts the filter in its own compartment?

I see the top pipe has a mounting plate but does the filter have some kind of fixing bracket too?

And lastly how much does it come in at, and is there any member discounts/GB available? :innocent:

You can tell me to piss off if you like!

Weve not had a chance to do any tests to see how well the ceramic coating works.  Ive also had the heat shield coated which helps with blocking the heat from the turbo.  The coated pipes are cooler to touch than the non coated pipes after a hard drive.

Ive driven cars with the ITG fitted, but again, no back to back tests.  The reason we dont use a heat shield is that its not needed.  All it does is block the main air feed into the engine bay.  We tested with the shield and it felt like the engine was being chocked slightly.  You cant get air thats not there.  Without the shield the only time you will get extra heat from the rads/engine is when you are stuck in traffic.  Most of us use the cars on the open road where there is always a fresh supply of cold air coming in from the front.  Its also worth adding a cold air feed from the fog light area to add extra air to the filter.  I managed to get a 100mm feed from the lower grill to the bottom of the filter on the vRS.

The filter is very light and the silicon hose is nice and stiff so we found no need to add another bracket to hold the filter.

The kit for either the K03 or the K04 currently is £295 + vat.  You can have the kit in black, blue, red, or orange hoses.  Ceramic coating is an extra £125 + vat iirc.  I currently have the only ceramic coated kit.  Coating can be done in white or the dark grey like mine.

I think it would be great to run a group buy on the kits.  I will see if we are able to do one when im back in at work on Monday.  We would need a minimum of 10 to go ahead.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 10:35:03 am »

are you changing your engine internals.  I was under the impression that the k03 BWA engine isnt as strong internally as the k04 engines due to the higher compression ratio.

DanGB bent piston rods on his with the APR GT28 which IIRC was only running 391Hp with WMI when he upgraded from his K03 leon

I have a set of IE rods to go with the standard pistons im my box of bits at work.  I have seen a few bent BWA rods.  The K04 engines have the slightly lower comp, and run 21mm rods that are quite a bit stronger.

Im going to do the rods and fit the turbo at the same time.  Maybe get the head ported at the same time  :happy2:

h4rdy

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 11:16:13 am »
Nice one.

Id be interested in a group buy but maybe the ceramic is a little too expensive.

Does the KO4 engine have a modded block and stronger head too?

If I go for the induction kit I might fabricate a meshed support like the itg that would aid air flow too.

Let us know Alex.

Maybe one of us could do a review as well.

Justin

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 11:34:37 am »

I have a set of IE rods to go with the standard pistons im my box of bits at work.  I have seen a few bent BWA rods.  The K04 engines have the slightly lower comp, and run 21mm rods that are quite a bit stronger.

Im going to do the rods and fit the turbo at the same time.  Maybe get the head ported at the same time  :happy2:

Do you have any experience of what the limits of the K04 rods and pistons are?  I have heard it to be around 420 BHP?  Would torque not be more of a limiting factor than BHP?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 11:51:58 am »
well hurdy never bent his rods or melted any pistons running 450Hp and 500Ibft torque on nitrous, he just stretched his head bolts and blew the gasket

h4rdy

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 12:10:32 pm »
Nice one.

Id be interested in a group buy but maybe the ceramic is a little too expensive.

If I go for the induction kit I might fabricate a meshed support like the itg that would aid air flow too.

Let us know Alex.

Justin

By 'one' of us I meant me BTW.
 :signLOL:

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:00 pm »
well hurdy never bent his rods or melted any pistons running 450Hp and 500Ibft torque on nitrous, he just stretched his head bolts and blew the gasket

Yes this is why I am interested to know what the actual limits are.  You hear of lots of stories of the BWA/AXX/BYP engines bending rods but not hear anything on BHZ (or at least I have not)...

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 02:17:32 pm »
Very nice Estate !!!!

How are you finding the TT wishbones? am considering some of these myself.

Were they an improvement and do you know what the camber was after fitting them?
GOLF R Mk7

h4rdy

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 02:39:11 pm »
Yes that was another question from me, what advantages and have you noticed?

J

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 03:33:59 pm »
Nice one.

Let us know Alex.

Justin

Has the ITG got a meshed support?

I think the K04 engines have the same head, block and crank as the K03 engines.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 03:39:00 pm »
Do you have any experience of what the limits of the K04 rods and pistons are?  I have heard it to be around 420 BHP?  Would torque not be more of a limiting factor than BHP?

On all the BT stuff ive done on the TFSi's ive changed the pistons and rods and also fitted either ARP head studs or bolts.  JonnyC ran his S3 and ED30 on the standard bottom ends?  I think they are both going well still on 400+ bhp.

Torque is always the killer of rods.  If its delivered smooth and progressively then engines will last much longer.