Make a donation

Author Topic: How long did it take you?  (Read 6957 times)

Offline albertz33

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: How long did it take you?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 09:55:17 pm »
Until you stopped driving your GTI like a maniac everywhere?!

I noticed this week that I'm more relaxed in the GTI. I'm not flooring it everywhere. Hell, I went up to Soton last night and did a lazy 60mph each way. Didn't need to floor it because I knew the power was there. Even in everyday driving, I've relaxed more and not as aggressive as I was.

That's six months of GTI ownership for me to adjust to the car.

*Note: I don't drive like a granny everywhere, just not driving like a chav all the time*

Thats called ageing!! :P

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »
Iv only had mine 2 months and i dont think il ever loose the urge to open her up to legal speed limits when the opportunity arises

Otherwise why i have a GTi??

Best car EVER  8)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 10:27:26 pm »
Iv only had mine 2 months and i dont think il ever loose the urge to open her up
I was like that right up until two weeks ago. Then suddenly I've felt calm all of a sudden, in everything I do, including driving.

Thats called ageing!! :P

I'm 26!  :angry015: :angry015: :angry015:  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 10:30:18 pm »
So it's not really the car then Stealth?

It sounds a bit like maturity to me? That seemed to come for me when I had kids. I say maturity, more like the unwillingless to take risks as you realise there is a bigger picture  :happy2: (As im still the biggest kid you will meet! )

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 10:52:46 pm »
when its safe to do so i will open it up the same with the mk2 but when its wet and day to day i tend to drive more chilled

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 11:01:00 pm »
 :evilgrin: :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 11:25:13 pm »

How long did it take me? - 2 speeding tickets, both for 93 mph slowed me down. But I always drive according to the conditions, both road surface and traffic, and am absolutely rigid in keeping to all 20/30/40 limits.

I'm so glad that I've had the experience of driving my GTI in Europe, especially Germany - 70 feels like 30 when you first get off the Eurotunnel back into the UK - Much more stressful driving in the UK than Europe.

When you know you've got the power it's much easier to relax and be patient. It's all about position and distance and being totally focussed - That's why I never play music or radio while driving.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 11:29:30 pm »
Until you stopped driving your GTI like a maniac everywhere?!

I never drive/drove my Ed30 like a maniac  :innocent:  Having said that, I strating driving a lot more carefully and with a lot more ease after I had the Ed30 remapped  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 11:31:14 pm »
Presumably if you went UP to Southampton you must live on the Isle of Wight (or France!!)??

No, Bournemouth.

I thought you were from Birmingham given your reviews of Solihull VW  :rolleye:  But then it explains why you went to JKM  for the RR day and I thought you'd driven all the way down from the Midlands  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 09:25:58 am »
When I had the ED30 I found it very hard not to open it up on a daily basis  :evilgrin: However now I have a diesel I don't have a lot of power so I hardly seem to give it the beans because if I do im massively dissappointed. I think if the powers there it is very hard not to redline it on a daily basis  :evilgrin:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 09:30:16 am »
Tom youre a "special" case though  :grin:, I managed 17MPG at Santa Pod over 6 runs lol , dunno how you got to single figures (to be fair though I do occasionally use the gears above 4th on the motorway  :signLOL:)
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 09:44:55 am »
I know John I don't know how I managed it either. I think it maybe my driving style  :evilgrin: I think part of it was to do with my car aswell. A few months back me and my mate went out for a play. He was in his dads DB9 and I was in the ED30. Bear in mind he had a 6.0 V12 and I had a poxy 2.0TFSI in comparison. I managed to get lower MPG!!  :surprised: WTF!  :grin:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 09:47:35 am »
^^^^

I managed to do 11 mpg on a full-day driver training course. 22 mpg on German autobahns where you can legally average over 90 mph and cruise at around 125 mph (GPS, not inaccurate VW speedo).

Around 28 mpg in the UK and very rarely over 30 mpg.

The car is so much fun, I really don't care. Plus you can have fun without getting into licence-losing territory (in the UK).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:49:41 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 01:26:04 pm »
When you know you've got the power it's much easier to relax and be patient. It's all about position and distance and being totally focussed - That's why I never play music or radio while driving.
You know something? Maybe it's because there's crap on the radio and I need new CDs but I've started driving a lot more without any background music.

Oh God!!! RR, please tell me this isn't old!

I thought you were from Birmingham given your reviews of Solihull VW  :rolleye:  But then it explains why you went to JKM  for the RR day and I thought you'd driven all the way down from the Midlands  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Born and raised in Brum. Went to Soton uni. Work now in Bournemouth. Parents etc are back in Brum so I go up a lot and spend a lot of my hols there too. Means the JKM meet was only an hour's journey or so away. Also means the Telford meet wasn't too far because I went up to Brum and stayed with 'rents, so it was "local". Would have made the 'pod too if I didn't have pesky exams.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:07:14 pm by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 02:41:05 pm »
It's all about position and distance and being totally focussed - That's why I never play music or radio while driving.

You know something? Maybe it's because there's crap on the radio and I need new CDs but I've started driving a lot more with any background music.

Oh God!!! RR, please tell me this isn't old!

....I read that as you meaning to say that you've started driving a lot more without any background music.

That's not "old" but sensible. Music will not only distract you and caccoon you from your road environment, but will also trigger mood responses. For example, high energy rock will make you drive faster. If it's spoken word on the radio it will draw you in and distract you.

I don't think that phone conversations should be allowed while actually driving even if a hands-free system - It's not just about having both hands free but it's about mental distraction from your focus and concentration - Or it should be!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:42:36 pm by RedRobin »