Make a donation

Author Topic: 10mm Hubcentric wheel spacers  (Read 37089 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: 10mm Hubcentric wheel spacers
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:26 am »
nice writeup my good man, I reckon I could be placing an order very soon based on this   :happy2:
is that a mark on your rear bumper  :surprised:  :grin:

small question -
If I get a puncture, do I need to keep the short std bolts for that or can I use the longer ones?
Or am I forced to re-add the spacer with the space saver?

Oh and are they a pain to align when fitting ? as its bolts and not studs?

Praise indeed from the 'write up' King!  :happy2:

And no of course it isn't a mark on my rear bumper  :surprised:

Re your questions regarding the fitting it was easy as the spacer fits snuggly over the ring on the disc and it holds itself in place while you position the wheel  :happy2:

As for having a puncture, I hadn't actually thought of that and will wait for the Wheelman to answer that question for you!  :wink:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 09:30:49 am »
Looking good Nathan.

Cars a bit dusty though...........................

:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 03:25:07 pm »
Carry 5 of your old bolts in the boot to put the steel on with, don't bother messing about trying to refit the spacer as it'll more often than not wedge itself in the wheel's spigot anyway.

Looks lovely BTW.
Sideways yo!

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 04:06:51 pm »
how much extra is it for the locking wheelsnuts greenhouse?
This is my next mod :happy2:
Looking at your wheels now makes me want to do mine in gloss black :laugh:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:01:40 pm »
how much extra is it for the locking wheelsnuts greenhouse?
This is my next mod :happy2:
Looking at your wheels now makes me want to do mine in gloss black :laugh:

Im not sure Luca? Best to PM the Wheelman  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 10:21:21 pm »

Excellent write-up, Nathan :happy2:

However, I'm still not convinced. My main hesitation is because, IIRC, AP Racing's Senior Race Engineer strongly advised me against using wheel spacers with my AP Big Brake Kit. More recently I wouldn't want to do anything to interfere with my VWR-KW-V3 suspension setup.

As I see it, you are rightly substituting with longer bolts but you are subjecting them to greater loads/forces.

I stand to be corrected.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 10:29:56 pm »
Moreover, you subject the Hubs and subsequently wheel bearings to greater loadings, due to the longer lever distance.

Although i think 10mm will not make too much difference.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 10:40:37 pm »
Moreover, you subject the Hubs and subsequently wheel bearings to greater loadings, due to the longer lever distance.

Although i think 10mm will not make too much difference.

....Ah! Thanks! Now I remember - Hubs and wheel bearings were mentioned.

I can see how 10mm may not make much difference, BUT.......I'm more cautious than some on here and prefer to mod my car as if I was going to keep her forever. Can I take her to Heaven with me? Oh, hang on, I'm already in Heaven!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:56 am »
If the wheel bearings wear out I'll replace them. Not really a biggy for me Robin  :wink:

But I do appreaciate your input as this thread is all about people deciding whether this mod is right for them or not.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 10:13:53 am »
If the wheel bearings wear out I'll replace them. Not really a biggy for me Robin  :wink:

....Which makes me curious about how cheap or expensive that would be to replace them. What would be the first signs of needing replacement?

But I do appreaciate your input as this thread is all about people deciding whether this mod is right for them or not.  :happy2:

....I'm glad you said that because I sometimes worry that others might think I'm just being a killjoy or an over 60yo git when I question the wisdom of things like spacers and lowering when only done for 'the look'. In truth all I'm trying to do is offer/add my opinion based on what I know and believe to be true at the time - Which is all any of us can ever do!

[cue for TC to post that peeps think I'm a git anyway!]

So, I appreciate you appreciating that I appreciate you appreciating etc etc :grin:

:happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 10:47:43 am »

....Which makes me curious about how cheap or expensive that would be to replace them. What would be the first signs of needing replacement?

....I'm glad you said that because I sometimes worry that others might think I'm just being a killjoy or an over 60yo git when I question the wisdom of things like spacers and lowering when only done for 'the look'. In truth all I'm trying to do is offer/add my opinion based on what I know and believe to be true at the time - Which is all any of us can ever do!

[cue for TC to post that peeps think I'm a git anyway!]

So, I appreciate you appreciating that I appreciate you appreciating etc etc :grin:

:happy2:

You would begin to hear a humming/whining from the offending wheel!  :wink:

P.S. I Appreciate that  :happy2: :laugh:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 03:03:18 pm »
My personal experience with all round wheel spacers (though not with a gti I hasten to add) resulted in the rear hub/axle breaking on one side leading to the car overturning whilst travelling in a straight line.

I will not be going down that route again...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 03:08:46 pm »

sh1t the bed! sorry to hear that!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 04:11:06 pm »
My personal experience with all round wheel spacers (though not with a gti I hasten to add) resulted in the rear hub/axle breaking on one side leading to the car overturning whilst travelling in a straight line.

I will not be going down that route again...

Wouldn't have thought it was only 10mm either?

PMSL @ that pic Jay  :signLOL:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 05:40:59 pm »
You'd be surprised at how much 10mm can upset the factory geometry and loading of the hub and more notably the bearings, particularly the way the are loaded radially.

With suspension, even the smallest of changes can be exaggerated elsewhere - camber is only measured in single degrees, which again seems a trivial measurement on a small scale, but can make an enormous difference by the time it's multiplied through the height of the wheel.

Elementary physics says that as you move the load away from the fulcrum, the force increases - a lever. By using a spacer you are basically changing the offset of the wheel, multiplying the forces on the hub by moving the wheel further away from it. The result is increased loading on the bearing and accelerated wear and ultimately - failure.

Obviously, the size of the spacer can make a difference but don't under estimate the difference 10mm can make. Also, when making a modification like this that is easy to do your self, be sure to get an alignment check afterwards.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator