Issues with rust that VW declined to repair under warranty
1 (1.7%)
Issue with rust that you still haven't done anything about
7 (12.1%)
No rust
17 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2010, 07:54:54 pm

Author Topic: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!  (Read 197449 times)

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY ***
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 08:24:50 pm »
im think this same problem effects mark 4's too and its due to a piece of foam/sponge behind the top of the wing which holds dirt and moisture, thus causing the rust and paint bubbling.
The rust seems to be showin quite fast on mark 5's tho
Thats interesting as the mk6 has an extra bit of foam of the same type thats were your on about but this bit is on the a-pillar and i think its a rust trap waiting to happen myself. As mines always full of water even when the cars not been outside or near water for over 2 weeks or more as shown in my post on the mk6 forum.
http://www.mk6golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,104.0.html

yeah that does look like the same thing waiting to happen,  i read of this happening to loads of mk4`s (even happened to my dads) and now the exact same things effecting the mk5`s.
does the mk6 have the piece of foam at the top of the wing too?   i thought vw might have got onto this by now and come up with a solution

Still Here!

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 02:04:45 pm »
The mk6 has a bit of foam right at the top of the arch to support the wing.

I think its time to find a waterproofing spray to cover these with, similar to what you use on tents and caravan awnings so that they do not soak up the water/dirt.
They should have been made from closed cell foam in the first place :mad:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:19:53 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 02:17:44 pm »
I noticed today, whilst at the tyre fitters that at the top of both arches there is some very slight bubbling...clearly an indication of some rusting condition around the top of the arches.

What should I do? Visit VW and ask to see their Warranty person in the first instance, My car is a September 05 (55) reg, havent noticed any other rust anywhere else (yet   :scared:)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 02:54:55 pm »
I noticed today, whilst at the tyre fitters that at the top of both arches there is some very slight bubbling...clearly an indication of some rusting condition around the top of the arches.

What should I do? Visit VW and ask to see their Warranty person in the first instance, My car is a September 05 (55) reg, havent noticed any other rust anywhere else (yet   :scared:)

You need to attend a VW dealers that has a body shop or ring your local dealer who can advise were the closest one is  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 03:18:50 pm »
Boothy, some pictures of the offending rusting area might help to direct people where to inspect on there own cars, they might be located elsewhere in the threads you talk about maybe even a guide of where needs to be inspected to pick up on this issue early doors potentially before exterior paint bubbles.

Snoopy, very interesting about the sponge on the mk6, that area on my mk5 had a massive collection of leave and other detritus, I tracked it back to the ventilation vents at the base of the windscreen, where I found another large collection of leaves and grime, to clean it up properly you need either really small hands or to remove the wiper and plastic strip at the base of the windscreen.  :sick:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 04:25:53 pm »
Boothy, some pictures of the offending rusting area might help to direct people where to inspect on there own cars, they might be located elsewhere in the threads you talk about maybe even a guide of where needs to be inspected to pick up on this issue early doors potentially before exterior paint bubbles.

The problem is that the rust just doesn't come out in a photo because it just looks like slightly blistered paint. It would probably be easier to photograph the rust from with wheel arch its self but I just don't have the time or kit to start removing the arch liner etc. Sorry  :sad1:

I have included a couple of photos pin pointing where the rust tends to be most common in the original post  :happy2: . I would say its also worth checking around the rear boot badge as I've just found some there too.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 07:32:57 pm »

The problem is that the rust just doesn't come out in a photo because it just looks like slightly blistered paint. It would probably be easier to photograph the rust from with wheel arch its self but I just don't have the time or kit to start removing the arch liner etc. Sorry  :sad1:

I have included a couple of photos pin pointing where the rust tends to be most common in the original post  :happy2: . I would say its also worth checking around the rear boot badge as I've just found some there too.

Thats exactly like mine, they are about 2 inches in length though on mine, on both wings!!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 07:50:41 pm »
I would advise that you, along with the others who are yet to visit the dealers about there rust to do so as soon as. This is the perfect opportunity to get it sorted should they refuse to honour the warranty and if we are really gonna try fight them they'll want to know its at least been refused first.  :happy2:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 08:46:46 pm »
I would advise that you, along with the others who are yet to visit the dealers about there rust to do so as soon as. This is the perfect opportunity to get it sorted should they refuse to honour the warranty and if we are really gonna try fight them they'll want to know its at least been refused first.  :happy2:

Very true mate, going to go at the weekend as im working away in the week. I'm pretty sure they will refuse it as from experience they always seem to  :fighting:

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 11:31:13 am »
I got a phone call from my VW Dealers bodyshop today! After 2 visits to my car to take photos and a couple of weeks wait while they negotiated with VW UK, they called me today to say that the claim had been approved and that my car is booked in for the work to be done!  :smiley:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 01:58:10 pm »
Still waiting on mine!  :mad:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 12:32:05 pm »
Well what a surprise, they declined to fix mine under warranty claiming the arch liner is the issue so it isn't covered. This is precisely my issue - proved. They have confirmed that there are no repairs to the car but still won't cover it.

What we need now is an accurate number of willing participants. I know plenty of people have voted but we have 29 interested people with 39 total votes yet no non-interested. I enabled the poll for two votes so some might have only ticked one box and missed the interested box not realising. Please re check anecdote submit you interested vote has been submitted.

What I initially suggest is an email to the VW boss as this has worked for others and maybe post a copy on here for people to use? Prior to this I am going to contact watch dog and also contact some of the papers to see if they would be interested in covering some sort of multi forum meet at head office.

Please let me know what you think and any other suggestions that you feel would be effective.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 08:26:02 pm »
What do they mean by arch liner being the problem mate?

Have you done the arch liner mod and thats what they are on about? I only ask because i havnt been able to take mine to the bodyshop yet and prob wont be this weekend but the following  :sad1:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 07:26:21 am »
Not touched the arch liner, nor has anyone else. The problem occurs where the liner rests against the inside of the wing and due to vibration from driving it rubs through the panel/paint and allows water to get in, thus causing the rust. Pretty crap really.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 07:44:45 am »
I'd like to know what makes one persons case different to another  :stupid: