Issues with rust that VW declined to repair under warranty
1 (1.7%)
Issue with rust that you still haven't done anything about
7 (12.1%)
No rust
17 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2010, 07:54:54 pm

Author Topic: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!  (Read 197872 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
*** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:54:54 pm »
Righty people. By the end of this post people are either going to think “go on my son!” or “WTF is this guy on” and I’ll get booed of stage!
 But sod it. I for one am fed up with VW just bullying there way out of warranty work and offering crap service to people who live for there cars, care for them and lavish countless thousands keeping them perfect.

My Gripe.

Rust seems to be quite a common issue on the MK5 as I’m sure many people will be aware due to the various threads that have been posted.

I’ve had a flick through some of the various threads using the search function and it also seems pretty common that although VW offer a 12 year body they more often than not wriggle out of honouring this warranty.
 Having read some of the threads it also seems that quite a few people have suggested that we all get our heads together and fight VW to get what we deserve – a free, quality repair of the area that has rusted due to a manufacturing defect.

How we go about this I’m not entirely sure but I’m sure, with the backing of other members and forums we can think of something substantial to get under the skin of VW.

Surely if we can compile a document with peoples issues regarding rust and VW’s lack of responsibility are argument will carry more punch. Surely if we contact the car magazines and the papers somebody will take an interest and surely if loads of disgruntled VW owners turn up on there door they will have to listen to our issues and do something about it. Bad press means bad business and that’s about the only place we can hit them I think.

There’s no point in going any further if everyone thinks I’m talking out my a*se so the first port of call is to find out who’d be interested in pulling something like this together. I’ve done a poll at the top to gauge whether there’s genuine interest and to get an idea about the actual number of people affected.
 I’m also going to run this on some other forums too (links below). If anyone knows of any other UK based VW forums let me know and I'll do it on there too.

Thanks for reading.

Boothy  :rolleye:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/387839/2645959.aspx
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=2.0

....and its also worth checking around the rear badge as I've found some paint bubbling there too  :sad1:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:42:57 pm by Boothy »

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY ***
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:03:54 pm »
I think we should disseminate this thread to other forums in order to garner support. Get enough people together and it'll be easier to fight.

DOI: No rust issues.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »
I dont have any rust issues with my car but you get my support! I too have heard about others owners being fobbed off by VW who have had a genuine claim! :angry015:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 08:14:10 pm »
I dont have any rust issues with my car but you get my support! I too have heard about others owners being fobbed off by VW who have had a genuine claim! :angry015:

Tick the interested vote up top mate if you fancy it  :happy2:

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 08:14:49 pm »

Tick the interested vote up top mate if you fancy it  :happy2:
Done! :happy2:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 09:53:20 pm »
My car is sitting in a spray booth as we speak getting rust fixed on the arches, under warranty.  05 plate. 

I would be happy to add any support I can to this as a rusting 5 year old car in this day and age is not on, far less on a brand that sells itself on build quality and even worse that they wriggle out of any legitimate claims on the warranty they offer.

Good on yer  :happy2:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:23:11 pm »
got my vote mate  :happy2:
Still Here!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 11:34:20 pm »
Lodged my interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 03:11:59 pm »
I think this is a good idea, i think its not just the VW brand in the group that suffers either with the poor design of the front wheelarches/paint coverage in the wing area.
We have a 54plate SEAT mk4 Ibiza that has rust in the same place that the mk5 golfs suffer.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:55:45 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 06:06:45 pm »
Lodged my interest, just waiting to hear back from my bodyshop manager!

Offline VWKD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • VWKD
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 08:08:43 pm »
Didn't even think about claiming on warranty for this.. I had mine colour coded last week and the guy spraying it found some rust behind the skirts when he removed them :( He phoned me to tell me and asked me if I wanted him to sort it to which I said of course.. didn't even register that I could claim until you started this thread...   thankfully he didn't charge any extra.

1971 T2 Camper
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV
1999 Passat TDI Running On Chip Fat

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 08:14:46 pm »
Some good interest so far people which is good. I can't believe not one person has ticked the box to say VW declined the repair under warranty  :surprised:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 05:10:01 pm »
Ive got the dreaded rust problem at the top of the arch on both front wings, ive not had time as yet to go to the bodyshop but i will be. Be very interesting to see what they say.

The last paint job they did under warranty on my car was shocking and it went back many times. So its a dilema cos if VW say yes to the warranty repair would i want them to repair it anyway.  :fighting:

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 05:23:33 pm »
im think this same problem effects mark 4's too and its due to a piece of foam/sponge behind the top of the wing which holds dirt and moisture, thus causing the rust and paint bubbling.
The rust seems to be showin quite fast on mark 5's tho
Still Here!

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 06:53:57 pm »
im think this same problem effects mark 4's too and its due to a piece of foam/sponge behind the top of the wing which holds dirt and moisture, thus causing the rust and paint bubbling.
The rust seems to be showin quite fast on mark 5's tho
Thats interesting as the mk6 has an extra bit of foam of the same type thats were your on about but this bit is on the a-pillar and i think its a rust trap waiting to happen myself. As mines always full of water even when the cars not been outside or near water for over 2 weeks or more as shown in my post on the mk6 forum.
http://www.mk6golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,104.0.html
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.