Make a donation

Author Topic: Instrument Gauge Column Pod - Review....  (Read 24460 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Instrument Gauge Column Pod - Review....
« on: November 27, 2010, 06:22:41 pm »

WHAT IS IT?

It's a steering column mounted pod for a gauge such as a boost gauge. It's made by NewSouth who also manufacture gauges and is very good quality moulded ABS.

It will also accommodate other standard size 52mm gauges, but subject to checking, and it's called the NewSouth ColumnPod.

WHY HAVE A BOOST GAUGE?

A boost gauge isn't essential but is very useful for informing you how well the turbo is working whether on a tuned engine or not. Having experienced a cracked wastegate which then resulted in me needing a new turbo, I can strongly vouch for their value. They are included standard on some Golfs so I simply don't understand why VW omitted it from the Mk5 GTI. However, the VW boost gauges I've seen don't actually tell you enough! They're just a pretty dial with a needle which moves, so I'm actually very glad they're not standard on the Mk5 GTI.

^ The VW oem boost gauge as on the Golf GT.

Link to history and discussion of my boost leak problem:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,493.0.html

Some folks also like to have a boost gauge because they look cool....    They do look cool! If boost gauges ain't your thing, how about an Oil Pressure gauge? Yes, oil pressure, not oil temperature, unless you're installing lots of extra gauges as in a race car. Any problems with oil pressure is something you need to be alerted to before temperature, but if you service (oil change) your car regularly you shouldn't have any problems - Unlike someone I heard about who didn't oil change for 43k miles! I wonder if they bothered to maintain any tyre pressures too!

ALTERNATIVE BOOST GAUGES:

There are quite a few out there but the most highly rated is the DEFI. It does cost more though and if an oem look is important to you, the NewSouth gauges exactly match the graphic display and illumination of the VW instrument cluster. I would probably buy DEFI if I hadn't already bought otherwise but I am happy with my NewSouth.

Check out john_o's excellent and extensive DEFI review here:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2073.0.html

ALTERNATIVE GAUGE COWLINGS/PODS:

Again there are quite a few on offer and for different locations in your car interior. [I may add more info to this later]

I used to have my NewSouth boost gauge mounted in the side air vent. SWG, via Awesome, offer a pod which allows any 52mm gauge or dial to be integrated into the driverside air vent, this is ideal for keeping the oem look to the interior but still allowing any 52mm gauge of your choice to be seamlessly incorporated into the Mk5 Golf's dash while still keeping airflow to the driver. This product is a direct replacement for the original vent and does not require any disassembly of the original vent - It's simply a direct replacement.

SOURCE:

From Awesome in Manchester or NewSouth approved stockists. RRP £29.38 incl 17.5% vat.

Visit their website or contact for an up-to-date price : - http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=8016&xSec=153

Awesome also supply Newsouth gauges and offer a bundle package deal for both gauge and pod:

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=6734&xSec=153

INSTALLATION:

Straightforward and with printed instructions included. Easy for anyone who is capable of automotive DIY - So that excludes me! JKM in Portsmouth installed mine and it took about an hour including moving my gauge from its side vent location. So, no installation photos - Sorry! Like many others here, I regularly use and trust JKM.

JKM:   http://www.jkm.org.uk/  /  023 9263 9933

PLUS POINTS:

- It positions the gauge directly in your view such that distractions are minimised and your eyes are kept on the road.

- Offset positioning of gauge display doesn't obscure the rev counter. That is unless you regularly want to go above 7,000 revs - A very bad practice on the 2.0T FSI engine in my opinion.

- High standard of design and manufacture in ABS.

- Matches the oem interior finishes.

- Easy to install.

MINUS POINTS:

- To the purist it will look like an aftermarket addition in spite of the dial display graphics and illumination matching oem exactly.

- At night, depending on your driving position, it may partially obscure the blue icon indicating your headlights are on full beam. But as a focussed driver you should know when your headlights are on full beam anyway. Additionally, I'm sure that oncoming road users will also 'alert' you, especially if you have Xenons! Just hope it's not a huge Euro truck with a zillion watts across several rows of headlights... Hasta la vista, baby!!

- Mine went through a period of squeaking (for several thousand miles) but has now stopped squeaking.

- It might not house 52mm gauges from all other manufacturers. You would need to check before buying.

SUMMARY:

So far, after 430 miles in daylight and at night, I can find no fault with it other than partially obscuring the full beam icon but I am already becoming able to avoid this as an issue. My seat is set at its very lowest position and so is my adjustable steering column. Other factors will be your physical size and angle of seat back. I'm exactly 6'0" tall.

Compared with previously having my boost gauge in the side vent location and not angled towards the driver as the OSIR vent mount does, I find that I can far more easily monitor how my boost behaves with far less distraction from the road ahead and therefore more safely. Other drivers may not be as easily distracted as I can be!

It's not a design you would expect to see on a VW Golf but overall the whole assembly looks surprisingly oem.

Please note that it's of course very difficult to take any handheld photos on a fixed lens camera which accurately reproduces your exact view as the driver, so these pics are the most accurate I could manage.

EDIT:

For a while the pod creaked but it has stopped doing so now for unknown reasons. This probably may have been due to my hard, not harsh, suspension.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:15:49 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Instrument Gauge Column Pod - Review....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:45:18 pm »
Looks great, Robin  :happy2:

Saint Steve

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 07:55:14 pm »
ill be honest, i prefer that in the air vent as it was personally,

But as long as you "chuffed to nuts" with it , thats all that matters buddy  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:35:50 pm »
Great review as always, RR.

This is one of those things I've always "ummed and ahhed" about.

Now that it's fitted, are you able to provide measurements so those of us unsure about obscured views can make our own mock-ups?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 10:56:13 pm »

ill be honest, i prefer that in the air vent as it was personally,

But as long as you "chuffed to nuts" with it , thats all that matters buddy  :happy2:

....Thanks, Steve. It's literally 'less in your face' in the side vent location and looks more oem-ish. However, I personally am finding the gauge easier to monitor in its steering column position.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:35:53 pm »
Great review as always, RR.

This is one of those things I've always "ummed and ahhed" about.

Now that it's fitted, are you able to provide measurements so those of us unsure about obscured views can make our own mock-ups?

....Thanks, Jas. Funnily enough I umm'd and ahh'd originally too and went for the side vent version. But I was finding it more difficult to monitor than I do now with the column pod location.

I can take some measurements and post them here but the driver's physical size and seat position/tilt plus steering wheel position will all influence how much the pod will hide the main beam icon or not. 

oldtomo

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:44:15 am »
Superb Review RR - thanks for taking the time to write it up!
 :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 02:11:00 pm »
Balls to it I am defo getting this on mine now  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:03:48 pm by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 03:54:55 pm »

....Here's a commercial photo which will be more helpful to see the angle it sits at:

The overall measurement across the installed gauge in pod is 58mm.

The overall height, when installed, from the upper surface of the steering column itself is 65mm.

I hope this helps but the driver's physical size and driving position will be major factors.

Possibly the most realistic way of assessing if it's for you or not Mr Shortarse Mr Stealthwolf is to sit in my driving seat when we next meet.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:56:51 pm by RedRobin »

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:47:09 pm »
Looks excellent Robin. I've always been dubious about fitting a gauge there- however i think you have persuaded me  :happy2:

Are you happy about the finish of the surround? It seems a shame it isn't the same finish as the smooth VW steering column.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 03:58:46 pm »

Looks excellent Robin. I've always been dubious about fitting a gauge there- however i think you have persuaded me  :happy2:

....Well I'd hate to have influenced you to then find it's not for you. The aspect I can't guarantee is how much of the main beam headlights icon it masks due to your driving position. There's plenty of scope for reading the rev counter and the water temperature gauge.

Are you happy about the finish of the surround? It seems a shame it isn't the same finish as the smooth VW steering column.

....I'm happy but I'm probably less bothered than some folks. Any difference in finish is made up for by it completely covering the top of the steering column so you don't really have anything visible to compare it too. It's a very good fit.

The NewSouth gauge exactly matches the graphic display of the oem instrument cluster and so it can't help but look sort of oem-ish. If I have any criticism, it's of the VW Mk5 GTI instruments display - It looks poor when compared with Audi's.

To add anything like this you ultimately have to accept it's fairly obviously aftermarket and that it's a gauge which gives information you'd find valuable. There is a cool factor of course and it does tend to say <this car is tuned>.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »
Took a pic which shows the boost gauge in the context of my overall dashboard. My camera angle isn't exactly my eyesight view and kicks slightly to the left - I can normally see my oem temperature gauge needle.

Everything is positioned to be in direct and easy vision - I give priority to that and don't care so much if my cabin looks oem or not.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:51:58 am »
Update:

I'm finding that sometimes my column pod squeaks. I guess it's like all the other squeaks - A combination of temperature conditions on plastics and having aftermarket stiffer engine mounts and much stiffer suspension. But it's a small price to pay for that taut and tactile well planted feeling.

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:07:41 pm »

Looks an interesting mod.

Offline ongoing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 10:07:36 am »
I bought this off the back of your review and id like to say thanks

was a really good review and the gauge really blends in well hand a few people think it was an OEM option

:happy2: