Make a donation

Author Topic: 2nd hand autotech fuel pump? worth buying or not?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline heavyd

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
2nd hand autotech fuel pump? worth buying or not?
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »
Hello folks. I have the opportunity to buy one of these. But when speaking to my local friendly tuning company, they said they wouldnt be prepared to fit it for me as its 2nd hand, but they also sell them, so they might just be trying for an extra sale  :popcornsoda:
Just wondering if anyone had had any problems with 2nd hand units in the past, or if its an easy DIY?
They did say If I removed the pump, and took it to them, they woukld fit the internals, but to me, I cant see the difference in turning up with the whole car and getting them to do the lot?
Thanks in advance for any replies :happy2:

keendean

Re: 2nd hand autotech fuel pump? worth buying or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:54:16 pm »
hello mate, why are these so pricey? Anyway, here is one on ebay,  as new, and seems far cheaper than a few other sites I looked at..

£265 + p&p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autotech-High-Pressure-Fuel-Pump-2-0-TFSI-HPFP-/320624652492?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa6b7f0cc

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:02:48 am »
No issues I have heard of. Plus they sound like they are talking rubbish. The 2nd hand internals usually fetch upto £200

Offline conneem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:41:00 pm »
hello mate, why are these so pricey? Anyway, here is one on ebay,  as new, and seems far cheaper than a few other sites I looked at..

£265 + p&p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autotech-High-Pressure-Fuel-Pump-2-0-TFSI-HPFP-/320624652492?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa6b7f0cc

Must resist  :party:, funds low coming up to Xmas  :sad1:  :grin:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:48:59 pm »
can you be certain they are 100% uprated autotech internals and not just the old internals that someone could have removed when fitting their uprated HPFP internals kit

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:56:09 pm »

£265 + p&p

Must resist  :party:, funds low coming up to Xmas  :sad1:  :grin:

thats PDT off here.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 08:36:31 pm »
HeavyD was refering to us regarding the fitting of the parts.

We are reluctant to fit any type of 2nd hand engine parts, especially internals, most tuners are. If you are ever going to get a problem then it always seems to be surrounding used parts heres a recent example:

Guy books in a car for some cams to be fitted, customer provides the parts but we dont check the cams over prior to the booking and car comes in on the Tuesday, we spend 3 hours stripping down the engine ready for the cams, fit the inlet cam and it doesnt sit correctly in the head, spend another 2 hours checking part numbers etc... Only to find a link to a thread on a forum that they were bought from, these apparently new cams were on their 3rd owner!

So we return to standard and backheel the job, losing a total of 6 hours labour costs.

3 weeks later we get a call from another tuner that has fitted the cams, he wasnt so caring about the cam fitment and just fitted the lot and crossed his fingers while he turned the key :sad1: and revved it to get oil pressure up to stop the 'knocking noise from the top end' as he described it.

The cam lifters had stuck and it took out the cambelt resulting in a piston smashing the valves and bending a conrod at 5000 rpm!

The customer is now going down the route of taking the guy to court for the sum of £1260 for a new engine, 5 weeks later the car is still at his workshop blocking up a fitting bay.

Now fitting used engine internals to make a quick £50 isnt so appealing is it? If we fitted a new pump internals kit then we get the backup from Autotech and we are covered by an insurance policy incase anything goes wrong, tjis is a luxury you can forget with used parts.

We are happy to rebuild the pump with the used internals as this way checking the parts and the overall installation is the responsibility of the customer.

My advice is to always use new parts from a known authorised dealer and get it fitted by a professional with experience of that paticular part. If you want to oversee an installation so you can DIY, I am fitting one tomorrow afternoon on a customers ED30 as well as some REVO software.

Dave

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:41:26 pm by PDT »

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:09:19 pm »
I didnt name you dave :wink:
What time roughly are you fitting the HPFP?
Might be abe to get along after work to see how bad a job it is :jumping:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:09 pm »
I noticed, just thought I would put the point accross so others are informed about the pitfalls that surround used engine parts.

Think its around 1.30 we are fitting it.

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 10:28:26 pm »
I bought my autotech internals second hand must be at least a year and a half ago for 100 quid, never given any problems.
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)