• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
Theme
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:38:24 pm »
Created a new topic as it isn't really a suggestion, well it is and isn't lol

Out of pure noseyness how often is the theme here change? Nothing really wrong with the current one but to me just looks ever so slightly dated? I have had a play in photoshop to try bring it up-to-date without too many major changes! If nobody likes it then meh it was fun designing!

Direct Hi-Res link - http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9304/forumxo.png

Also how about an xmas banner? Maybe add some snow to it?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:44:02 pm by Betty02 »
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dmus2r5q2d137s6t5dkrffvdq4&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Theme
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:40:25 pm »
I approve that.... the VW badges work really well!  :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:41:36 pm »
I like it!  :santa:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Saint Steve

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 05:15:41 pm »
 :congrats: :congrats:

Love it.

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • iBett
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:29:12 am »
Been having a play today, it looks crap due to using free hosting so the adds knock everything out of line but if you scroll so the banner is at the top you can see everything is aligned properly!

Also install the Articles/How To mod I was on about in my other suggestions, can be seen Here

and Demo forum can be found Here

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:20 am »
I'd be very disappointed if the colour scheme changed unless there was still the option to keep the existing one.

I find the red and black theme very warm and welcoming and don't like the standard VBulletin pale wishy-washy dull as dishwater themes of many forums.

THE EXISTING THEME WORKS EXTREMELY WELL - DON'T MEND IT!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:38:23 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • iBett
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:37:00 am »
The demo site/them I made has kept the red and black theme as I like the way they work and feel it's part of the club so shouldn't be changed!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:43:04 am »

The demo site/them I made has kept the red and black theme as I like the way they work and feel it's part of the club so shouldn't be changed!

....Agreed  :happy2:

So, why change other parts? Do you think that any of the existing functions need improving?

Most of us don't want to see adverts at the head like your example.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 11:00:02 am »
Betty have you tried discussing this with the current mods that run this place first, I appreciate that you are trying to help out and you clearly have some good experience and skill in this area, my only concern is you have rocked up on to a website that a few dedicated people spend a lot of time designing building and maintaining the site and it might be worth consulting with them before ploughing ahead with re-designing the place.

Not trying to be funny it would just be good to give them the courtesy to comment before putting it out to the open forum, like asking permission to re-design someones house before painting new colour swatches on there walls  :wink:  :drinking:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • iBett
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:09:43 am »

....Agreed  :happy2:

So, why change other parts? Do you think that any of the existing functions need improving?

Most of us don't want to see adverts at the head like your example.

Don't really know just things to me looked a little dated? Not saying that this will stop me nor others coming here was just a suggestion.

You wont see the advertise like in the head of the forum, there will be no adverts at all as the site is add free thankfully  :jumping:

Betty have you tried discussing this with the current mods that run this place first, I appreciate that you are trying to help out and you clearly have some good experience and skill in this area, my only concern is you have rocked up on to a website that a few dedicated people spend a lot of time designing building and maintaining the site and it might be worth consulting with them before ploughing ahead with re-designing the place.

Not trying to be funny it would just be good to give them the courtesy to comment before putting it out to the open forum, like asking permission to re-design someones house before painting new colour swatches on there walls  :wink:  :drinking:

Not discussed with anyone really as I said above just posted it in here as it is really a suggestion. if something goes a head then great, if not then that's no real issue no sleep lost :D

I don't mind the time designing as I work as a part time designer/coder so knocking this up hasn't really taken that much time or been very difficult so if it is lost time then I suppose to me and others it's no real issue.

I take on board both your comments though and not trying to be a dick saying this current design is sh*t and doesn't work because - It isn't and it does. Just the way I see it (and a few others by the looks of things) keeping things up-to-date can help. There would be no change in anything all the links etc would all work the safe, posting would be the same no major changes that would force people to stop coming/posting - Just a design change.

Anyway see what gets said/done, if nothing then hey worth a shot :D

Once again guys cheers for the comments!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 11:17:14 am »
I wasn't trying to rubbish the time and effort, frankly the design you have knocked up is great and I can tell you have some skill  by how quickly you managed it  :drinking:  This site isn't my baby and I have only been hanging around since end of last year.  It was just my feeling that the guys that run the place could be up for your ideas and help, just if it was me I would appreciate a heads up before first.  :santa:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 11:20:40 am »

I wasn't trying to rubbish the time and effort, frankly the design you have knocked up is great and I can tell you have some skill  by how quickly you managed it  :drinking:  This site isn't my baby and I have only been hanging around since end of last year.  It was just my feeling that the guys that run the place could be up for your ideas and help, just if it was me I would appreciate a heads up before first.  :santa:

....Exactly that ^  :happy2:

The same goes for the forum stickers thread.

SteveP is the man to contact.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:22:51 am by RedRobin »

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:13 am »
I think all the brand touch points need to be more consistent. There seems to be a plethora of different car stickers, none of which truly reflect the brand identity of the forum online.

I think as a car club the opportunity exists to create a very strong brand, something that differentiates this group of people from the many other dedicated car clubs around. It will take more than just a subtle refresh of the forum theme though.

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • iBett
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 11:27:57 am »
I wasn't trying to rubbish the time and effort, frankly the design you have knocked up is great and I can tell you have some skill  by how quickly you managed it  :drinking:  This site isn't my baby and I have only been hanging around since end of last year.  It was just my feeling that the guys that run the place could be up for your ideas and help, just if it was me I would appreciate a heads up before first.  :santa:

Totally understand just thought being a suggestion box all would go. I will sort a PM out though - Although the man in charge has probably already seen this lol!

Cheers Rich and RR

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 11:28:51 am »

I think all the brand touch points need to be more consistent. There seems to be a plethora of different car stickers, none of which truly reflect the brand identity of the forum online.

I think as a car club the opportunity exists to create a very strong brand, something that differentiates this group of people from the many other dedicated car clubs around. It will take more than just a subtle refresh of the forum theme though.

....Agreed, although I do remember an Italian company that intentionally varied its logos and it became a successful and memorable feature of their graphic identity.

I thought we'd been through all this not long ago with VC's design proposals.

But anyway, this community isn't a corporation and has a growing and loyal membership due to what it offers and doesn't actually need to look corporate.

Thinking about it, I actually like having all the variations - It shows freshness in itself.