Make a donation

Author Topic: Airbag fault  (Read 42992 times)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Airbag fault
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »
Hi Fellas
  Finally got my car into a garage, they ran some check and found it could be 1 of 3 times so rather than trying lots of things that could become expensive, they've recommended taking it in a dealer for a diagnostics check does anyone know the rough cost of this?

Cheers

Andy

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 08:54:45 am »
I think it's about £80.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:04 am »
Cheers Stealth  :happy2:

Andy

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:19 am »
My car is in the garage for the same thing as i type.

Mine is the drivers side seat airbag and is having the igniter replaced.

The technician told me that sometimes in cold weather the gas in the igniter loses pressure. If you have ever used an outdoor gas cooker when it's freezing you will know what i mean. This then alters the reistance sensor in the igniter (saying it's not at the correct pressure to inflate if needed) and brings up a fault.

Knowing i have VCDS he told me to do the following:

Take the car on a drive with the heater on full and the heated seats on (if you have them) for a good 15-20 mins. Then stop and clear the fault. If it then comes back straight away the problem is likely to be wiring. If it clears check the car the next morning and if the light returns then it is probably the fault i described above.

Depending on wether your in warranty or not a wiring fix will be around the £100 mark. An igniter is around the £300-400 mark (depending on which one) for the part only. You would have labour on top of that. Luckily my car still has a warranty till July.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:49:56 am by vRS Carl »

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 11:52:33 am »
My car is in the garage for the same thing as i type.

Mine is the drivers side seat airbag and is having the igniter replaced.

The technician told me that sometimes in cold weather the gas in the igniter loses pressure. If you have ever used an outdoor gas cooker when it's freezing you will know what i mean. This then alters the reistance sensor in the igniter (saying it's not at the correct pressure to inflate if needed) and brings up a fault.

Knowing i have VCDS he told me to do the following:

Take the car on a drive with the heater on full and the heated seats on (if you have them) for a good 15-20 mins. Then stop and clear the fault. If it then comes back straight away the problem is likely to be wiring. If it clears check the car the next morning and if the light returns then it is probably the fault i described above.

Depending on wether your in warranty or not a wiring fix will be around the £100 mark. An igniter is around the £300-400 mark (depending on which one) for the part only. You would have labour on top of that. Luckily my car still has a warranty till July.

Cheers for that VRS CARL
  When it was at my local garage they plugged something into the car, I assume this was VCDS and the fault was the drivers side crash sensor I believe.

They reset the fault and I drove the car home without the fault coming back, about 2 hours later I had to move the car and the fault came back.  I rang them back and they suggested I take it to the dealers who hopefully would be able to find the fault easier.  My local garage didn't want to try several things until they found it and the labour costs would be high.

This to me seems to be more than a wiring fault.

Andy

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 11:56:40 am »
If you can get the fault code off them you can put it in google to see what it is.

I would take it to a main dealer just because Local/indy garage fault code readers don't always give a code the dealer can understand. The dealer will just plug it into VAS and then follow the guided fault finding to correctly diagnose the problem.

Where are you located? If your near Salisbury i have VCDS and can scan it for you.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 12:06:42 pm »
If you can get the fault code off them you can put it in google to see what it is.

I would take it to a main dealer just because Local/indy garage fault code readers don't always give a code the dealer can understand. The dealer will just plug it into VAS and then follow the guided fault finding to correctly diagnose the problem.

Where are you located? If your near Salisbury i have VCDS and can scan it for you.

Cheers for the offer mate but I'm in north east  :sad1:

I've got the print  out from the machine, I'll see if its got a fault code

Thanks again

Andy

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »
I've just found the print out;

Does anyone have any ideas??

Cheers

Andy

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1p803hm88kv531emhpm19iul25&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 12:56:20 pm »
That code has the following:

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Faulty

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Open Circuit / Short to Plus

Possible Symptoms

Airbag Warning Light ON

Possible Causes

Wiring/Connections between Airbag Control Module (J234) and Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) faulty
Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) faulty
Airbag Control Module (J234) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Wiring/Connections between Airbag Control Module (J234) and Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
Replace Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
Replace Airbag Control Module (J234)

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

Possible Symptoms

Airbag Warning Light ON

Possible Causes

Wrong Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) installed

Possible Solutions

Install correct Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
Special Notes
The Crash Sensors can be checked by using the control module identification and the measuring blocks.

Address 15: Airbags
   Controller: 1T0 909 605
   Component: 05 AIRBAG VW62 0506 2112
   Coding: 0012341
The 0506 in this example stands for the required Crash Sensor ID, the first 2 digits (05) apply for the front crash sensors, while the second 2 digits (06) apply for the rear crash sensors. The ID of the currently installed Crash Sensors can be determined by checking Measuring Value Block (MVB) 009.

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

Airbag Warning Light ON

Possible Causes

Wrong/Incompatible Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) installed
Wiring/Connections between Airbag Control Module (J234) and Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) Part Number
Check Wiring/Connections between Airbag Control Module (J234) and Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 12:56:50 pm »

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »
That code has the following:

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Faulty

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Open Circuit / Short to Plus

Possible Symptoms

Airbag Warning Light ON

Possible Causes

Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) faulty
Airbag Control Module (J234) faulty

Possible Solutions

Replace Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
Replace Airbag Control Module (J234)

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

Possible Symptoms

Airbag Warning Light ON

Possible Causes

Wrong Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) installed

Possible Solutions

Special Notes
The Crash Sensors can be checked by using the control module identification and the measuring blocks.

Address 15: Airbags
   Controller: 1T0 909 605
   Component: 05 AIRBAG VW62 0506 2112
   Coding: 0012341
The 0506 in this example stands for the required Crash Sensor ID, the first 2 digits (05) apply for the front crash sensors, while the second 2 digits (06) apply for the rear crash sensors. The ID of the currently installed Crash Sensors can be determined by checking Measuring Value Block (MVB) 009.

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

Airbag Warning Light ON

Possible Causes

Wrong/Incompatible Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) installed

Possible Solutions

Check Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) Part Number

Cheers Carl you're a legend!  :notworthy:

My car is out of warranty -   :sad1:

What would you suggest let the dealers have a look and see what they come back with?

Do you have any idea what the worst case costs would be?

Is there anything I can check that might be simple to do?

Cheers

Andy

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »
It depends how mech & tech minded you are.

If your happy with the location of everything and removal of seats/trim then yes by all means check the wiring in the areas highlighted above.

If not then just take it to a dealer. you may get charged a diagnosis fee, prob around 1/2 hour labour, this is what my dealer would usually charge but i have VCDS. That would just be for them to tell you what the problem is without doing anything about it.

But as i said the dealer will be able to follow the guided fault finding they have and from that they would be able to give you an idea of cost.

Worst case scenario i would say £600. Thats if you needed all new wiring, Igniters and labour on top. I would be surprised if it was both wiring and hardware.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 08:56:34 pm »
Hi Carl
  Cheers for all the advice I'll get it booked into the dealers and let you know how I get on.

Andy