Make a donation

Author Topic: Airbag fault  (Read 42976 times)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
Airbag fault
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:08:05 pm »
First merry Christmas everyone!!

Just got in my car this morning and the airbag fault came up on the dash.  I'm hoping this has been caused by the cold weather.  Is there anything I can check or is there a way to reset it or can a reset only be done by a garage?

Cheers

Nads

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
Re: Airbag fault
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 12:10:22 pm »
you can erase the fault code with vcds but it may come back if it's a hardware fault.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 12:12:08 pm »
Does your airbag icon in the dash display stay visible (with a 'ping') or only initially on systems startup check?

If it stays on, see a dealer, especially if still under warranty. Dunno if VCDS would tell you anything. < I just read bacillus' post - He knows more about VCDS than I do.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 12:16:12 pm »
VCDS will tell you which airbag is complaining  :wink:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1p803hm88kv531emhpm19iul25&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 12:17:09 pm »
VCDS will show an error to as where the problem had occured. The Classic fault on the mk5 is caused by the wiring under the seats for the airbag in the seat, and particularly with 3dr models as the seats are moved back and forth.

You can clear the error with VCDS, it might have just been a one off 'glitch'!

*damn you hedge and your concise repsonce*  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:18:45 pm by richwig83 »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 12:27:50 pm »
Sorry Rich  :wink:  :P

I had the airbag fault twice on my Octy and it was the wiring firstly on the passenger side and then on the drivers side about 2 weeks later.

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »
I had this problem.

And it was the drivers seat connector, it seems like a common problem. Easy fix,  although you may need to unbolt the front of the seat for easy access. A bit if silicon grease should stop it happening again.

TonyZ

Nasir

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 01:49:49 pm »
The Classic fault on the mk5 is caused by the wiring under the seats for the airbag in the seat, and particularly with 3dr models as the seats are moved back and forth.

My mate had this on his Mk5 also, common fault.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:38:44 pm »
Does your airbag icon in the dash display stay visible (with a 'ping') or only initially on systems startup check?

If it stays on, see a dealer, especially if still under warranty. Dunno if VCDS would tell you anything. < I just read bacillus' post - He knows more about VCDS than I do.

Hi Robin

Yes it stays on with a ping so I guess it's a trip to the stealers.

Cheers for the advice fellas

Nads

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 12:11:53 am »

Hi Robin

Yes it stays on with a ping so I guess it's a trip to the stealers.

Cheers for the advice fellas

Nads

....It might be as the others suggest and just a connector but if the icon stays lit then AFAIK it means that more than one airbag is not functional. My Recaro buckets don't have airbags, so the icon stays on only until the systems check is finished, hence displaying that the other airbags are connected and functional.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 09:21:27 am »
All this sounds expensive does anyone know what the approx cost to fix would be? I know it it difficult to estimate but any thoughts would be appreciated. Unfortunately it's not in warranty

Cheers

Nads

Nasir

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 09:42:10 am »
If there is an airbag fault it will stay lit and ping regardless. The airbag light always comes on with the ignition and takes a few seconds to go out.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1p803hm88kv531emhpm19iul25&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 09:54:52 am »
If it's just a wiring problem (under the seat for example)... It will be about 50 quid! If an actual airbag is at fault I'd imagine it will be a few hundred!

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 01:08:29 pm »
Just had quick look under both front seats and the connectors seem sound I'm still hoping it's a glitch but hopefully going to take to the garage later in the week

Cheers for all the advice

Nads

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 01:51:25 pm »

All this sounds expensive does anyone know what the approx cost to fix would be? I know it it difficult to estimate but any thoughts would be appreciated. Unfortunately it's not in warranty

....It's virtually impossible to know and just guesswork. The cost will depend entirely on what the fault is and how much work is involved in putting it right.