Make a donation

Author Topic: 19"- 8.5j - ET48 - 30mm drop?  (Read 9528 times)

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
19"- 8.5j - ET48 - 30mm drop?
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
Iv been thinking of a set of the audi splits in 19x8.5 ET48.

I'm due to have a set of H+R springs going on next week which will drop me by around 30mm, I have my 18x7.5 Omanyts to go back on on 225/40 rubber.

If I decide to go for the splits as a new summer wheel will I be ok with the 30mm drop? and what size tyres could I get away with? Mrs Apollo uses the car most of the time and she'll nag the hell out of me if it rubs but she doesnt drive like a maniac into the corners so I can cut things pretty fine although we do carry the odd passenger in the back.

As the springs are new I could swap them for something else if needed. I believe the GT TDI is the same height as the GTI from standard so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

:drinking:

Lee
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: 19"- 8.5j - ET48 - 30mm drop?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »
You should get away with a 30 mil drop on most occasions, maybe slight rubbing under heavy load but i would say you will get away with it.  :happy2: The ideal size tyre would be 235 but again you can get away with 225 on that size, which will help avoid the odd rub.  :happy2:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »
Cheers T.C,

I think I'd stick with 225/35 to be on the safe side, better for the wallet too   :grin:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:11:23 pm »
Just a quick note are these the wheels you are looking to get.

if so the they are gorgeous no doubts, but you have to get the height spot on with them or they look kinda funny in the tyre area, just my opinion, but i have seen loads on here and i think like my wheels you need to go really low to pull them off properly.  :happy2:

The drop on the car above is more like 45 mil.  just some food for thought.  :happy2:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:21:09 pm »
Thanks for the heads up T.C, yes those are the ones in mind.

The standard ride height on my car is slightly lower than two of my mates standard GTI's so its difficult to guage exactly how its going to sit when lowered.

Of course coilovers would be the best thing to get full control but for this car I cannot justify the costs involved in fitting a decent set.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:25:08 pm »
Have a scan for cars with these wheels but without a drop or a small one. I dont blame you for getting these, they will look great with that colour.  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »

Granted these are 18's and the spec of yours will look a whole lot better. I think yours will look fine, but i would research first as its a costly change for coils.  :driver:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:37:41 pm »
Cheers T.C quick work!!

That looks like a standard golf ride height and like you say 18's.

I'd like to find a standard GTI (or with the 30mm (unlikely) ) on the 19's to take the plunge though.....

If I don't think they'd look right I'd go for another wheel as coils won't be happening...........  :grin:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:24:55 pm »
Heres Petes (hope you don't mind mate :happy2:) on 18's with a 20mm drop I believe....

My dodgy calculations say that the 19 on a 35 tyre is 3mm bigger than 18 on a 40 tyre so a gnats cock bigger and I should be 10mm or so lower.

I think it'll look ok?

Although your right T.C, you have gotta slam it to get the best look but its just not practical on this car.

Offline Dario

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • booosting... :)
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:31 am »
they fit perfect with 225 tyre

REVO ST2+ Edition30 -sold

soon 2015 Golf R :)

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:58:13 am »
they fit perfect with 225 tyre

Dario,

Thanks for the reply, I'v just looked at your build thread!! Amazing work! I see your on KW coils though so not sure on the total drop...

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:12:57 am by apollo13 »

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 12:51:20 pm »
... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:58:01 pm »
... :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm in  :love:

Good job my missus has just got a new job working for Michelin......

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 01:41:56 pm »
Mine has the exact same specs 8,5x19" ET48 so if you can wait a couple of months i can show you the stance although i have -2,3 negative camber up front and with my 225/40-18" wheels i have 290mm front center of the wheel to the fender, so fairly low i think.

Sorry  :sad1: , i just got to show them again i can't help it  :signLOL:

:drool:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »
I'm not going to complain about you showing them Jake  :signLOL:

Have you had yours trial fitted mate?

It would help me out if you knew the measurement from the floor to edge of wheel arch, centre of the wheel front and rear?

:drinking:
Lee.