Make a donation

Author Topic: Will a remap wreck the clutch?  (Read 1789 times)

Offline ni-coilovers.co.uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • stores.ebay.co.uk/ni-coilovers
Will a remap wreck the clutch?
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »
Hi, I just cant find online what torque the standard clutch is ok with.  I dont want to fit a new clutch.  Car is GTI 200 with 50k miles.  I am going stage 2 and thought is it best to keep it to no more than 260lb/ft??  No idea with this as the car is new and I used to have a TDI before.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Will a remap wreck the clutch?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:57:51 pm »
it's how the torque is applied by the map that decides if the clutch can manage it's  job. torque low down is fun but kills clutches. Driving style is also a factor.  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:17:55 pm »

it's how the torque is applied by the map that decides if the clutch can manage it's  job. torque low down is fun but kills clutches. Driving style is also a factor.  :smiley:

....Exactly!  :happy2:

Torque is stressful if overdone and it's not clever to adopt a driving style which is lazy and depends on the torque. It's more fun using the gears anyway to more efficiently use the revs.

Most of us here prefer to use an established tuner like Revo whose remap takes torque stresses into account. The remap might be more expensive but it'll cost a whole lot more if damage from a poor remap is suffered.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:24:42 pm »
its more liklely the driver that will destroy the clutch than the remap.  Having more torque means people get lazy with gear changing and dont change down when they should, ie at motorway speed, the car once mapped will pull very hard in 6th, so no need to change down, however doing low rpm high gear accelerations means that peak torque is applied to the clutch for a prolonged period.

if you change down, raise the revs and let the power get you moving you'll prolong the life of the clutch.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:22:12 pm »
Cheers.  I do drive quite hard but I just dont want the torque to kill the clutch as I do like 2nd/3rd gear pulls.  I had an Ibiza FR TDI at 290lb/ft before and it was fine for 30k miles I had it from new tho. 

I will get it mapped so its not peaking, a smooth bit of delivery.  I know the TDI Golfs PD engines can handle 300lb/ft max.  Just unsure about GTI

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:27:33 pm »
Cheers.  I do drive quite hard but I just dont want the torque to kill the clutch as I do like 2nd/3rd gear pulls.  I had an Ibiza FR TDI at 290lb/ft before and it was fine for 30k miles I had it from new tho.  

I will get it mapped so its not peaking, a smooth bit of delivery.  I know the TDI Golfs PD engines can handle 300lb/ft max.  Just unsure about GTI

i have about 450nm and it took a while before my driving style got the clucth to slip, app. 35.000km  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »
Cheers.  I do drive quite hard but I just dont want the torque to kill the clutch as I do like 2nd/3rd gear pulls.  I had an Ibiza FR TDI at 290lb/ft before and it was fine for 30k miles I had it from new tho. 

I will get it mapped so its not peaking, a smooth bit of delivery.  I know the TDI Golfs PD engines can handle 300lb/ft max.  Just unsure about GTI

all TFSIs peak and drop off, thats the trait of the engine.  2nd gear and 3rd gear pulls are more than fine, its when your doing 5th and 6th gear pulls from 2k that you'll have an issue in the end.  Drop a cog raise the revs and you'll be fine.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:17:03 pm »
Cheers I will give it a go and tell the guy not to pull the clutch out of it lol

Thanks