Make a donation

Author Topic: S3/R32 Brake Upgrade  (Read 45582 times)

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15
S3/R32 Brake Upgrade
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:07:57 am »
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to do an S3/R32 front and rear brake upgrade on a GTi please. Are the rears as simple as bolting new discs ,calipers and pads and bending/manipulating the existing  dirt/dust shields away from the disc for clearance? I read somewhere you need to use the brake pipes from the R32/S3...ive looked on ETKA and they list a L/H and R/H pipe (as seperate part numbers) they then list another part number for a pipe of which two are required! I am unsure of what this pipe is and if i actually need it. Can someone please tell me exactly what i will need (and part numbers if possible?) Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:10:33 am by flyboy1976 »

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: S3/R32 Brake Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:59:28 am »
I know for certain that the Fronts are a straight swap as i have done it. You just need new brake hoses from and S3/R32 as they are slightly longer than GTi ones. That's assuming you get calipers, Carriers, Dust Shield, Pads, Discs.

As for the rears im 99% certain that it is the same again a straight swap but you need brake hoses.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:10:55 pm »
The rears are a direct bolt one.

Same lines, same pads, same hand-brake fixtures etc.  Just the calipers and discs are different.

the Std GTI rear dust shields are used too, just tweak slightly to provide clearance.

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
  • Build it.. don't buy it!!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:19:08 pm »
Sounds like a good Mod, are the S3 and R32 brakes alot better than the standard GTI brakes?

Ash
I have ETKA and ELSA - Happy to help if anyone needs anything. Instagram - @f11tvw

Rotiform VCE's : US Spec Rear Bumper : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : De-Wipered : Revo Stage 2+ Map : Revo Intake : Revo throttle pipe : THS Intercooler : K04 Conversion : Milltek Cat Back + Pipwerx Decat : Sachs Stage 3 Organic clutch + Single mass flywheel : Quaife ATB Differential : S3 Brakes + Vagbremtechnic discs : Full SuperPro Bushes : SuperPro ARB

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
I have ETKA and ELSA - Happy to help if anyone needs anything. Instagram - @f11tvw

Rotiform VCE's : US Spec Rear Bumper : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : De-Wipered : Revo Stage 2+ Map : Revo Intake : Revo throttle pipe : THS Intercooler : K04 Conversion : Milltek Cat Back + Pipwerx Decat : Sachs Stage 3 Organic clutch + Single mass flywheel : Quaife ATB Differential : S3 Brakes + Vagbremtechnic discs : Full SuperPro Bushes : SuperPro ARB

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:25:08 pm »
Sounds like a good Mod, are the S3 and R32 brakes alot better than the standard GTI brakes?

Ash

Oh yes. A bit like comparing Milla Jovovich to Hilda Ogden.  :laugh:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »

Ash

Milla is alright i suppose but Hilda Ogden is  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Can't beat a bit of GILF  :evilgrin:

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email

Offline cam

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • My Old MkIV GTI T
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:28:39 pm »

Ash

Yeah as mentioned above they are quite a significant upgrade on the standard GTI setup, well worth doing!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:31:37 pm »
2010 Golf R20 Brake kit!  :smiley:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Golf-R20-Brake-Caliper-Discs-Kit-R32-GTI-MK5-A3-S3-TT-/150544947296?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230d2d9860#ht_2465wt_1141

Nope older R32 brakes with Golf R retainers. The only difference is the caliper colour. Golf R are black and R32's are blue  :happy2:

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 01:34:11 pm »

Ash

:signLOL: Think im going to have to look into this!!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 01:36:27 pm »

Ash

Oh yes. A bit like comparing Milla Jovovich to Hilda Ogden.  :laugh:

Milla is alright i suppose but Hilda Ogden is  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Can't beat a bit of GILF  :evilgrin:

I suppose Hilda's teeth do come out.  :notworthy: :evilgrin:  :signLOL:

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:41:59 pm »

Ash

Yeah as mentioned above they are quite a significant upgrade on the standard GTI setup, well worth doing!

Cheers, Can add that to my "I want some of those" list   :signLOL:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 01:45:01 pm »

Ash

Cheers, Can add that to my "I want some of those" list   :signLOL:

You can get away with just the fronts but they can be a little snatchy at low speed. If you add the rears they come with vented discs and a slightly bigger piston in the caliper.

Fronts ftw.
Fronts and rears ftmfw. :smiley:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 02:11:06 pm »
regarding the brake pipe, you need it on both front calipers as they are needed to link the brake hoses to the calipers. You can reuse the brake lines on the rear as i did without any trouble  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)