Make a donation

Author Topic: Tutorial - How to Update RNS-510 Firmware. ***New Links & Firmware*** 19/02/12  (Read 356383 times)

iansy.c

Hi, if i upgrade to 3810a_noru firmware, do i need to recode the unit?

Thanks

Ian

Offline andygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi. Can anyone help ? I just attempted this procedure on my RNS510 in my 2010 Golf R and the unit is now unresponsive. I downloaded the  I loaded the 3810 firmware onto CD, put he CD in and the screen flashed up with some text and immediately went off again (too fast to read, it looked like one line of text with the letters 'SWL' in there) and since then absolutely nothing. Now I cannot switch the unit on, I have tried a reset but again no response at all. When I press the power button I hear a whirring sound (the hard drive ?) for a while and then it stops. Is it possible this procedure can make the unit totally unusable like this ? Or do you think I have a hardware fault (seems too much of a coincidence to me as the unit has been working fine before this) ?

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
It should turn back on after turning off.

Did u burn at slow speed on a dvd?

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline andygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
I burned at standard speed onto a CD-R on my PC - never had a problem with doing this for other ISO's before. Can this cause the unit to be totally unresponsive ? I can't even eject the CD now.

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
Have you tried resetting it. < + > + eject.

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline andygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Yeah, nothing.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Press setup, eject and Mic/info buttons together.

This will force the unit to conduct a hard reset and should allow the disc to be ejected.

Burn the firmware to a DVD -R and do it as slow as possible.

Offline andygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
I'm guessing the mic/info button is the star emblem ? Nothing happened. I also tried the voice button on the wheel, same. I have noticed that with ignition off/key out pressing the power button once makes the other control buttons flash red briefly but nothing else happens. Hitting the power button again then initiates some sort of power to the screen (dim light).

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Yes the star emblem is the mic/info button. You need to hold the buttons in for about 15 secs.

If your getting some power like that if the above doesn't work hold the eject button then turn it on and see if it forces the eject.

Offline andygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Tried this ... no joy...any other suggestions!!!

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
Unplug the power connector from the back of the unit?

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline andygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
I am guessing that requires the removal of the unit which I have no knowledge of how to do. Would disconnecting the battery or a fuse have the same effect ? If I did that, would I need to have a radio (or equivalent) code for the unit after reconnecting ?

Offline andygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Is there a way of manually ejecting the CD ?

Offline Acidreamer

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
This seems to be the best place I don't to get some information on the rns510 what I'm looking for is the following the main thing I would like to do is update to firmware the information. I have is below

Control module 1T0 035 680A the hardware is the same
Comp / version is H04 1000

My main thing is I want to have be able to use a larger sd card in the radio
Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me which I should download

The car is a 57 reg Vw eos I know it's not a gti but this forum seems very informative and would really appreciate if someone could help me also you mention about battery drain would this happen on mine

Any replies would be much appreciated

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
This seems to be the best place I don't to get some information on the rns510 what I'm looking for is the following the main thing I would like to do is update to firmware the information. I have is below

Control module 1T0 035 680A the hardware is the same
Comp / version is H04 1000

My main thing is I want to have be able to use a larger sd card in the radio
Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me which I should download

The car is a 57 reg Vw eos I know it's not a gti but this forum seems very informative and would really appreciate if someone could help me also you mention about battery drain would this happen on mine

Any replies would be much appreciated

With a 57 plate looks like you might get a battery drain issue, unless the previous owner has changed your canbus. Best thing is to install something like 3810 modified fw, which will prevent battery drain, also will allow you to use bigger sd cards.