Make a donation

Author Topic: Tutorial - How to Update RNS-510 Firmware. ***New Links & Firmware*** 19/02/12  (Read 351293 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
You generally can't go from a 1xxx firmware to higher than 268x firmware. You can go from 268x to 38xx or higher.

You don't need to do anything with VCDS as none of the coding is changed (assuming it is correct in the first place).

You can find out your firmware if the test menu is enabled. Press and hold setup for around 30secs and you will get to the developer test menu. In there you will find the part no, sw version and map version info.

If it's not enabled you can use VCDS to enable it. Go into block 37 ---> Adaptation -----> channel 50 and enable developer test menu. Save it and do a soft reset of the Nav and it will be available.

minboshim

Thank you so much.  Much appreciated.  I'll update to 2XXX first and then proceed to update through 3XXX with the links found at the beginning of this post. 

kristian86

You have any answer to my question? Can i safely upgrade my orginal B unit upgraded to 3810 (now it looks like a D unit) to 4020 FW?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
If you have upgraded to 3810 then yes in theory however you may find some bugs due to it being older hardware.

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Can anyone reupload 3810 firmware to another site? This one is very slowfly and turn off download in the middle. Thanks.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

andred2809

Hi All,

A couple of questions :

With my current maps and firmware, I can only seem to enter the first half of a postcode, then I have to enter the street name from a list, half of the time the correct street aint there.

In order to be able to input the WHOLE post code, is it a firmware update I need or a map update?

I have already downloaded the latest map update ready to install on a duel layer DVD, is a firmware update also needed or not?

Is it possible to somehow back up all of my saved destinations from my RNS510 onto an SD card? if so how?

Thanks for your help here,

Andy.

Dannyt567

Hi
I'm new to the forum having just purchased my first golf GTi which I pick up tonight.  Great work on here by the way.....I've spent days looking at posts on here!!  :happy2:

Just one quick question.  I've deciding on fitting the RNS-510 unit once I pick up the car.  Just to confirm is it possible to fit a newer unit (F version) and then upload the firmware to stop battery drain?  Or do I have to buy an older A or B unit?  I have bought a 2005 GTi so am assuming it will suffer from the drain problem.
Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere.

Thanks

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Hi
I'm new to the forum having just purchased my first golf GTi which I pick up tonight.  Great work on here by the way.....I've spent days looking at posts on here!!  :happy2:

Just one quick question.  I've deciding on fitting the RNS-510 unit once I pick up the car.  Just to confirm is it possible to fit a newer unit (F version) and then upload the firmware to stop battery drain?  Or do I have to buy an older A or B unit?  I have bought a 2005 GTi so am assuming it will suffer from the drain problem.
Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere.

Thanks
You will need to change canbus I believe, Eddie normally has them for sale

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
Nice Correction of canvas ;)  :grin:

Offline ell.s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Hey guys,

going to have a crack at updating my RNS-510 today which is currently is currently running this FW, would anyone be able to advise me on the highest FW i can go to? would it be 268x?

Offline HumbleGT

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
Hey ell.s...i too have a B unit...

I have just successfully upgraded to 3810a using a euro modified disc done by an Oz guy from VW Watercooled called Kamold.

FW has been modified to enable Secret Menu, VIM, Also battery drain has been eliminated and its a 3 partition version done for 75% Music, 20% Maps and 5% POI's (Again this version of FW is for EUROPEAN users).

Link to FW available if anyone needs it...PM me

Took about 90 mins in total...seemed to hang a couple of times but i just left it to do it's thing (engine OFF and NO KEYS IN IGNITION) and it was a success.

I then installed V9 Maps edition 7920 and all is copacetic...all on the original 30GB HDD supplied with the nav unit.

MY problem is that is that i cant get the unit to recognise the SSD (kingspec PATA 64GB) that i've been trying to swap with.

I'm now trying to search for tools to check the disks integrity...anyone had issues with SSD installation?

Offline SNB

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my 1T0 035 680 B unit from its prehistoric 0800.  It is a 58 plate factory fit unit so I shouldn't have the battery drain issue.  What I'm after is the 7 digit postcode update which from reading this thread means I need to do an upgrade to 2xxx and then on to 3xxx.

Looks like depositfiles have stopped free downloads.

Anyone know if they're available anywhere else?

Thanks!

Offline HumbleGT

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
SNB, what region of the globe are you in?

Offline SNB

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
SNB, what region of the globe are you in?

UK.

Offline HumbleGT

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Then I may be able to assist.

Kamold on here has set up a site with links to a firmware version that WORKS.

Go to http://www.rnsfirmware.com/

Select the modified fw 3810a and download it.

Burn the image to a good quality disc at the slowest speed possible and then feed it to your rns510!

Make sure your ignition is off with keys NOT inserted.

That site above will tell you what this fw will do for you.

All respects and thanks to Kamold.

I have used this and it works well without issue.