Make a donation

Author Topic: rusty front wing again (sorry)  (Read 1862 times)

Offline craig_t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
  • Craig
    • Email
rusty front wing again (sorry)
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »
after cleaning my car over the weekend i noticed that the drivers side front arch lip has a little paint blister. i looked around on the forum and found that it is something to do with the inner arch rubbing the paint away causing rust.

i have been over to the body shop today and have given me a quote, but before i get the repair done is there any thing i can do/mod to stop it happening again. it is a 2005 gti and once repaired i dont want the same situation again in a few years.

if there is anyone who has had this problem before and found a way around it could you let me know.

cheers
Admin notice, sig pic removed for being to big.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: rusty front wing again (sorry)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:07:47 pm »
I have solved the problem with 10mm wider Seibon CF wings  :signLOL:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:10:34 pm »
I have solved the problem with 10mm wider Seibon CF wings  :signLOL:

Ooooooh show off  :grin:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:19:39 pm »
It depends were its rubbing?
I can think of a few ideas but it depends were the problem is exactly.
1... You can get 3M film that is used as stone protection by companies and often used behind body kits etc. Put this betwen the painted panel and were its rubbing. As this has to ware through first.
2... If its the foam insert getting soken wet and causing the rust spot as they soke up water as they are open cell foam not closed cell, why it makes no sence but ... Then treating it with a water repelent spray like fabsil may help and also putting the said film between it and the wing were it touches so it does not rub the paint.
3... Lots of waxoyl inside the wheel arch as they are not very well painted behind the arch.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline craig_t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
  • Craig
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:52:31 pm »
Cheers for the suggestions :)
Admin notice, sig pic removed for being to big.