Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 326533 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TFSI GT Sport - slightly modified
« Reply #255 on: December 29, 2011, 11:13:28 am »
Hello - hope you had a good Xmas :xmassmiley: :santa:

Before you mount the wheels to the car could you do me a favour and measure the internal diameter of them please?

~I am thinking of running 330mm discs and wondered if they will fit in these 8x17"...

Thanks! :happy2:

Yes they will fit easy.  :happy2: i had 360 discs and calipers inside my 17in TD's

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #256 on: December 29, 2011, 11:56:09 am »
Hello - hope you had a good Xmas :xmassmiley: :santa:

Before you mount the wheels to the car could you do me a favour and measure the internal diameter of them please?

~I am thinking of running 330mm discs and wondered if they will fit in these 8x17"...

Thanks! :happy2:

I can easily measure the diameter but I'm afraid there is no point in doing that:
1. The rim is has "variable" diameter as you can see in the picture below. So it depends where I measure. And the point where I measure for a specific BBK might take some time (not to mention that the measurements could be not that accurate)...

2. As far as I know all the BBK with 330mm discs fit the 17 inch rims radially. The only issues are with the rim clearance due to the spoke design and depth (for each individual rim type).
3, TD's have massive clearance. While looking for BBK (before buying the NQSBBK) I came across many BBK's (APRacing, Brembo, Alcon, Stoptech, Tarox, Movit). Out of these the bulkiest caliper was the Stoptech one (please correct me if I am wrong). This would require a spacer of about 10mm to fit the OEM Monza wheel. From my calculations even this caliper would have about 10mm of free space for the TD 1.2 8x17 ET 45 rims.
4. If you decide upon a BBK, some BBK's have a drawing to see if they fit your rim. Just send me the drawing and I can see if it fits or not. Don't worry about me fitting the wheels because these rims will be used mostly on the track so I can measure them whenever it is necessary.

:santa:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:13:08 am by rex »

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: December 29, 2011, 03:46:23 pm »
Thanks very much chaps!

360s in 17s.......wow!

I saw over in the states one guy had Cayenne 6 pots on the Mercedes 350mm inside standard Audi A3 17".

I intend to use either 996/996tt or 997 over Mercedes 330x28s x-drilled

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2012, 11:58:11 am »
Well, it's the middle of winter and not much to do, but I like to keep myself occupied:

This mod costs about £60.

And during this time I also like to do other small things order parts for the spring and plan the track days  :driver:

Thanks for watching!  :drinking:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:26:14 pm by rex »

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2012, 12:55:31 pm »
Nice mod but beware of tight spaces. I've had some situations where I had to slowly and not fully open the trunk lid in order not to hit a wall closely behind the car. If you forget about your pop mod and push the button, the lid will hit the wall  :smiley:
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #260 on: January 09, 2012, 06:58:25 pm »
Thanks fuscobal for the advice. I am and will be careful.

And another small update... This got mounted on  the car:

In English that is an engine undertray (from here; thanks the bruce for the thread).
Unfortunately not all went as planed and unfortunately I don't have the photos to show you because of the poor lighting and the fact that I forgot the camera home.

But I can tell you that this engine undertray is not bolt on for my 1.4 TFSI (CAXA) engine.
The area circled in the photo below (Tfsi_Mike's photo) was causing me problems.

The flexible exhaust is going through there and unfortunately there was no clearance. So I had to cut the plastic around that part and problem solved (so now I still have the vent over there but the air is not redirected upwards).
Now I have about 5cm of clearance between the exhaust and the engine undertray. I hope it is enough even when the exhaust gets hot. I guess time will tell  :smiley:.

:drinking:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:14:59 am by rex »

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #261 on: January 09, 2012, 08:44:26 pm »
Cool mod, can't wait to have mine installed and exchange opinions on the driving feeling at speed !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2012, 10:48:25 pm »
I've also ordered this undertray :D

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #263 on: January 09, 2012, 11:52:17 pm »
Teff, ... 237 P will fit nice on your R.
Some parts shown for rear axle won't fit to 4-motion models.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: January 10, 2012, 12:17:09 am »
I don't find a picture of the 237 P :(

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #265 on: January 10, 2012, 12:37:40 am »
Teff, have a look:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

:wink:

The long slim covers of the rear trailing arms may also fit on a 4-motion but not sure.

email !!!
"You get what you pay for."

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:25 am »
Cool mod, can't wait to have mine installed and exchange opinions on the driving feeling at speed !

Yup...
I am curious too see if it increases my mpg values. For the Nurburgring trip I need the best mpg values in order not to spend too much money on the gas (for the long trip from Romania to Germany). In 2011 I got 47 MPG and I now hope to have even better values.
Also with a rear wing I hope it will have some noticeable effects on the track.

:drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2012, 06:07:59 pm »
Well guys, as I said this is a time of investigation and planning... I am currently expecting the wider fenders and searching for seat, seatbelts and rollcages  :innocent:
Also I can't help but watch the laps I made during my last Nring trip. Personally I like to watch Nring laps (mine or others) and maybe there are some of you that like do to that.
So, as long as I uploaded to youtube a new lap of the Nring I think it is rude not to share:

And as usual a few words:
- this is a lap that I have done prior to my personal best.
- although there is some traffic I managed a BTG of 9.06.
- and some interesting things from the film:
@ 4.49 - I get a little oversteer midcorner. This is not the first time I get oversteer at this corner. I also feel the backend trying to get loose on other inclines like the Eau Rouge climb (Raidillon at Spa Francorchamps). I am the only one that feels this? I think I need a rear wing  :smiley:...
@ 5.10 - you can see the difference between my 155bhp car and a M3 E46 (~350bhp). Just before the bend, in Nicky Lauda's corner I signal right to let the BMW pass but for some reason he don't overtake me. So I am able to get a decent exit out of the corner and so does the BMW (he has a better exit). This was it is easy to see the difference in bhp  :smiley:
@ 7.35 - I change from 3rd to 3rd. I laugh with my friends about occasionally changing from 3rd to 3rd. Usually this happens (it always happened till this film) when I should be in 4th but because I have to let another car pass or I have some traffic I am in 3rd. Than I forget that I am not in the normal gear and try to change. This time I think I lost concentration because of the VW Caddy I am overtaking. Anyway, my mistake...
@ 9 09 - I miss 4th gear. I think I need a short shift (the one for the GTI does not fit the 6 speed gearbox of the TSI).

All the best!  :drinking:

P.S. I just noticed that the quality is not quite the same as the raw video I have  :sad1:. Sorry!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:15:41 am by rex »

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2012, 10:07:08 pm »
Rex just spent the last 2 hours reading through this thread

Great read and a great car, some really great driving  :driver:

Keep up the good work and look forward to the next installment  :popcornsoda:

Offline rex