Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 326537 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TFSI GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #420 on: June 09, 2012, 11:48:47 pm »
Great photos  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Glad you had fun in spite of your cold and the heat. Fabulous red on your GT  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #421 on: June 10, 2012, 08:36:04 am »
Sad to hear you were ill and couldn't beat you previous record. 2:22:XX is still great for a 150 HP hatch.
Nice pics as always.  :happy2:
No worries there is enough time to beat the record.
Thanks for the photos, the photographer (the friend that came with me) is getting better and better :).

Glad the mount has made a notable difference  :smiley:
Major difference Mike! Thanks!

Great photos  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Glad you had fun in spite of your cold and the heat. Fabulous red on your GT  :happy2:
Thanks RR!
 :drinking:

And here is one video:

Some interesting facts:
- this is la last session of the day so I am not pushing very hard (still going fast though)
- you can see how good the seats and seatbelts are
- at the beginning I follow the Clio RS (I think it was the CUP version because of the Recaro Seats) but he is not going as fast as I hoped
- later on in the video I try to follow other cars but the Caterham was ~4 seconds faster and the GTR about 3 seconds faster (they probably didn't want to or couldn't go any faster)

Thanks for watching!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #422 on: June 10, 2012, 09:03:19 am »
^^^^
Very comprehensive piece of filming  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: - It really demonstrates well what the Hungaroring is like.

When I first started watching the top righthand screen of you two guys I wondered where the heck the steering wheel was!!

I really hope you don't mind me offering my opinion [I am absolutely a novice 'X' but have had some track training]: If you check out the lines which the cars you are following through the corners you will see that they generally turn in later than you do. Try that and use your gears much more to be able to apply more power earlier when exiting the corners. Of course, some corners need an earlier entry line for the sake of better entry line and exit for the second corner when it immediately follows.

Can I tempt you with a Quaife or similar diff?  :evilgrin:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:10:53 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Acidutzul

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2.0 TDI ~165HP daily&track
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: June 10, 2012, 03:09:25 pm »
That Catherham is turning in later indeed, but if you notice, he starts turning when the finishes braking, so he's not trail-braking at all which in my opinion is not in his advantage (while Rex does that beautifully). He might be turning in late because of a late braking. Seeing that Catherham on the track, I can tell you that the car could do more. Also, you can see that neither the Caterham, not the GTR gained anything on the corners from Rex. I don't say that the lines cannot be improved... just that I wouldn't necessarily take those vehicles in Rex's movie as models :). But your advice about turning in late is a golden one and always welcome :happy2:.

Also the filming angle from inside can be misleading (you can't really have a precise image on the corner approach). From the movies below, I think you can get a better picture about the way Rex is cornering... in my opinion he's doing a very good job  :notworthy:.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #424 on: June 10, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »
^^^^
Yes I did occur to me after I posted from my armchair that the filming angle may have misled me. I was mostly basing my view from where the other cars were turning in, especially the GTR. I can now see much better from the two latest vids that Rex is indeed taking much better lines than I had thought  :ashamed:

A Warm Welcome to the forum by the way!  :drinking: - Do you also drive a Golf?

Offline Acidutzul

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2.0 TDI ~165HP daily&track
    • Email
« Reply #425 on: June 10, 2012, 09:05:33 pm »
Thank you! Yes, I drive the Mk5 blue Golf TDI that you might have seen in some previous pictures/movies from Rex. The two clips are recorded from my car. But this is kind of off-topic... maybe I will make a thread about my vehicle here one day, although I am quite far from being a GTI owner  :ashamed:.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2012, 12:35:48 am »
^^^^
This forum isn't just for GTI owners, so feel free  :happy2:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #427 on: June 11, 2012, 07:54:08 am »
RR, first of all, my philosophy is that it doesn't matter if someone is a novice or not, he might be right. So your advice and any advice for that matter is welcomed. I am trying to improve my driving skills so if you or anybody else think I am doing something wrong please don't hesitate to share that information.
Than, about the lines, I think Acidutzul explained it very well. Late turn in is a very very good advice. I tend to have a sooner turn in because, as you can see on Acidutzul's videos I brake on entry also. If I was to have a very late turn in and brake in the same time the car would understeer heavily. So I think my lines are more efficient than the Caterham or GTR ones (those cars should be much, much faster than me).
Acidutzul's videos are great to see the lines from behind. The video I posted has 2 forward videos, the one behind the driver and the one next to the rear view mirror. The camera next to the rear view mirror (bottom right) is great to see the lines (at least for me).

A Quaife LSD is something I want but I have a different manual gearbox so it won't work with my gearbox. So first I have to change the gearbox and than add a LSD. But if I am changing the gearbox maybe it is better to take a 2.0 TFSI/TSI engine with a gearbox. Unfortunatelly there are no funds at the moment.

And RR, Acidutzul is a friend of mine driving a 2.0 TDI Golf 5. We made a lot of Hungaroring trips we are always having fun following each other on the track.

Aciduztul: welcome, my friend!  :drinking:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:53:14 pm by rex »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #428 on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:10 am »
RR, first of all, my philosophy is that it doesn't matter if someone is a novice or not, he might be right. So your advice and any advice for that matter is welcomed. I am trying to improve my driving skills so if you or anybody else think I am doing something wrong please don't hesitate to share that information.

Than, about the lines, I think Acidutzul explained it very well. Late turn in is a very very good advice. I tend to have a sooner turn in because, as you can see on Acidutzul's videos I brake on entry also. If I was to have a very late turn in and brake in the same time the car would understeer heavily. So I think my lines are more efficient than the Caterham or GTR ones (those cars should be much, much faster than me).

Acidutzul's videos are great to see the lines from behind. The video I posted has 2 forward videos, the one behind the driver and the one next to the rear view mirror. The camera next to the rear view mirror (bottom right) is great to see the lines (at least for me).

....Agreed. Whether road or track, I always try to do my braking while the car is straight and before any kind of turn in so that the car doesn't become unsettled. This probably results in me being slower into a corner but then I use the gears to power out sooner helped by the Quaife.

It would probably be more satisfactory to change your whole car to a GTI rather then just change engine and gearbox for the sake of a Quaife. Best to enjoy and work with what you've got - You obviously enjoy it and that's all that matters.  :happy2:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #429 on: June 11, 2012, 09:05:16 am »
I like this car to much to change it all together (at least right now). I will try to keep the mods to a minimum from now on and just enjoy the ride...

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #431 on: June 11, 2012, 03:45:15 pm »
No money no temptation my friend  :P!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #432 on: June 11, 2012, 09:41:26 pm »
No money no temptation my friend  :P!

No money doesnt stop the wanting, I know it too well  :sad1:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #433 on: June 12, 2012, 01:26:30 pm »
 :grin: You are right Mike. But due to the lack of finances a better engine is on my wish list not my mod list  :innocent:.
The car is pretty much where I hoped it would be and I plan only minor changes (aka not expensive ones) this year.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #434 on: June 12, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »

:grin: You are right Mike. But due to the lack of finances a better engine is on my wish list not my mod list  :innocent:.
The car is pretty much where I hoped it would be and I plan only minor changes (aka not expensive ones) this year.

....You are very wise, Rex - Don't let these hardcore modding addicts tempt you!