Make a donation

Author Topic: GLWS.........GGrrrrrrrr  (Read 6711 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: GLWS.........GGrrrrrrrr
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 10:46:53 pm »
That was an overexaggerated example but can be applied to other things. Sometimes it may be difficult to guage the value of something.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 11:05:10 pm »
i also reply with glws if its a mate, as a free bump. dont do it very often but it keeps it at the top. There was a post today that i nearly commented on about some std gti breaks that were over priced but i didnt mention it as its just rude.  :fighting2:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 11:23:14 pm »
I don't want to buy the treadmill as I think it's overpriced by about £50 but GLWS  :evilgrin: :laugh:

Your wife posted pics up of your ever growing beer belly since marriage. that £50 is worth every extra penny.   :evilgrin:  :pomppomp:

That's strange. She know's i don't drink so it would have to be a Diet Coke Belly :P :P

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 11:27:06 pm »
Was it an Edition 30 version?  Should have been in white................ :popcornsoda:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 06:24:00 am »
QD EXACTLY!!

In one unwelcome thoughtless post, any chance of that item selling has been sh1tcanned!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:08 am »
I agree with Dave. For sale threads should be locked. If you truly think there's an issue with overpricing, it's more polite to pm the seller.

If he takes issue, it doesn't descend into posted flaming like I've seen. Worst that happens is a few rude pms. Plus if the buyer does agreee, a quick 'edit' or 'price drop' is all it takes. It's annoying to have to trawl through 2 pages of 'glws' to find that the item was sold 3 hours ago.

Keep the for sale thread tidy! :innocent:

Rant over, I'll get my coat....

Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:03 am »
if i see an item over priced i will pm the seller with a link showing the same item cheaper. id never put it in a post!

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 08:25:18 am »
i also reply with glws if its a mate, as a free bump. dont do it very often but it keeps it at the top. There was a post today that i nearly commented on about some std gti breaks that were over priced but i didnt mention it as its just rude.  :fighting2:

You just did  :grin: :laugh: :signLOL:

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 08:27:32 am »
The only problem I can see with locking threads is people being in-undated with PM's of the same thing saying "Will this fit my...." whilst if this was just in a thread at least that way people can read the replies and see without the need to ask again.

When I see a locked thread in the for sale section my instant reaction is that the item has already been sold so the thread has been locked.

GLWS doesn't seam too bad, I've used it a few times, never actually just posted it always put it on the end of a question or something.

I can just see it creating more hassle then is really needed of needing to repeat yourself and empty your inbox a lot?

Just my two-pence!
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 09:41:28 pm »

The only problem I can see with locking threads is people being in-undated with PM's of the same thing saying "Will this fit my...." whilst if this was just in a thread at least that way people can read the replies and see without the need to ask again.

When I see a locked thread in the for sale section my instant reaction is that the item has already been sold so the thread has been locked.

GLWS doesn't seam too bad, I've used it a few times, never actually just posted it always put it on the end of a question or something.

I can just see it creating more hassle then is really needed of needing to repeat yourself and empty your inbox a lot?

....I totally agree, and also with stealth's post.

Also by keeping it public it keeps both buyer and seller more 'honest' and fair - Everyone can see what's going on.

"GLWS" is only okay if it's like a smiley on the end of something useful to the thread being said.

Too many PM's is a nuisance - I wish that some folks would ask me questions in public rather than by PM, though it depends on the question. I'm talking about questions which can benefit lots of people on the forum by being public.

I'm actually put off being interested in items sold only via PM.

@ DaveB:
If you're like this at 40yo what are you going to be like at 50?  :grin:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:43:28 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:49 pm »
Taking a shot at someones price in the open is bad form.  The market will soon dictate its worth.  I recently sold an item via the forum and I think the questions people asked 'in the open' added clarity as there was maybe points that I hadn't clarified enough.  Other members added their knowledge of the product which was also welcome and something of an endorsement.

I think it boils down to 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' when it comes to adding comments to another persons sale thread.

I had never considered that GLWTS would be anything other than genuine but I guess the point of this is that some are using it in a facetious way?  Deff bad form.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 11:52:23 am »
I can see both points, locking the thread can be obtrusive and could lead to scammers as everything is done behind closed doors where as in the open someone may smell a rat and alert other posters as these scammers will operate on other forums as well.
flip side I had a member here comment on something i was selling and within 1hour 3 buyers pulled out. I will only comment on something i have interest in buying and where i know the price guide first hand. Feeler threads are just a waste of web space.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 01:11:37 pm »
I will comment in order to help. For example: Someone posts they want item X in the Wanted section and someone else posts they have an item X in For Sale, so I inform each of the other. It's surprising how many folks don't connect without some help.

I think it's also helpful to a seller if I am able to add info or a link to more info about what he/she is offering for sale. Also, to correct some info. But never to suggest the item could be bought cheaper elsewhere.

I feel strongly that For Sale and Wanted threads should be left open by default. The author can always lock their thread and invite PM's if they prefer that option, whereas it doesn't work the other way around.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 01:27:13 pm »
Maybe some kind of warning or something might be appropriate. Eg do not post in a For Sale  thread unless you:

- are interested in buying the product
- have some questions you wish to ask about the product/seller eg location
- have some positive information eg you bought the same item and love it
- have useful negative information eg suitable for certain models or need for further equipment

Anything else eg online shop is cheaper, I paid £10 for brand new, GLWS etc gets deleted and generates a warning. Three warnings and you're out ie banned from the entire forum and subforums for a period of say three months. Harsh enough to ensure you don't reoffend. No so harsh that it drives away members.

Note: this doesn't stop people PMing potential buyers to dissuade them from buying. Also means more regulation of the For Sale section and therefore more work for the moderators.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.