Make a donation

Author Topic: GLWS.........GGrrrrrrrr  (Read 6710 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
GLWS.........GGrrrrrrrr
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »
Now that I've turned 40 is it me just being a grumpy old fart or is the common reply to a for sale thread such as GLWS really as annoying as Im perceiving it to be, what's also annoying is people commenting on prices and when youve spent best part of an hour taking pictures  & drafting an advert and putting it all together only for some smart ass to come along and totally scupper your bl0ody efforts.

Im not talking about brakes here, I tend to know pretty much what brakes are worth and my stuff gets priced accurately and goes fairly quickly.

Tried to sell a piece of gym equipment today, the advert wasn't 5 mins old before somebody came up some cryptic comment about it being overpriced.

So.....

My point is what are peoples thoughts about classifieds being locked after post 1 and all correspondence being done by PM or email

I've seen some farcical situations with car adverts where its turned into a bunfight over what a guy thinks his car is worth and what he's trying to achieve price wise.

Discuss.........

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: GLWS.........GGrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:14:29 pm »
glwt oops sorry Dave :signLOL,I used to comment glws on things for sale but have stopped doing it now.Fair point about locking the thread and answering by pm

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:18:42 pm »
I have always said members should lock there threads, the option is there for people and i always lock mine and just invite pm's, but lot's of people like all the posts in their threads as a free bump.  :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:13 pm »
I don't think the GLWS is a problem as it can keep a for sale thread at the top of the section. This in turn keeps it in people's minds.

Arguing over price is wrong. I've nothing against someone saying "Mate your price might be a bit high as they are for sale at X,Y,Z for £X, £Y, £Z in a similar condition to yours" This could help with the sale but they should leave it at that.

You will get some people that will try and take the piss and Not everyone does research and you will sometimes get people trying to get back what they paid for something 18 months ago (i'm talking parts/gadgets etc here not cars) :stupid:

But most will price stuff fairly. So others shouldn't start a bunfight over price. Locking the thread is probably the only way to prevent this.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:43 pm »
didn't realise you could lock them :ashamed:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:31:45 pm »
I think it might just be your age Dave :signLOL:

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:33 pm »
Also, sometimes people ask genuine Qs which is helpful to other potential buyers, this saves you PMing the same answer over and over again. As TC says, if you really want to just lock the thread. Easy peasy  :laugh:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:38:59 pm »
I do think that do disable replies to for sale ads would be the final layer of polish on what's a really well tidied up For Sale section...

But....I understand giving people the choice probably makes sense...

Having said that, it would also encourage people to price accurately without it dissapearing to page 2 after 4 hours in the new format....

One other positive point about classifieds on here is that the mods have seen off the really irritating *****Feeler****** ads that plague other forums....

Anybody wanna buy a treadmill?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=at8nrm1k1bqubdfps7pvj1jt53&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 09:52:46 pm »
GLWTS

:P

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 09:54:41 pm »
I don't want to buy the treadmill as I think it's overpriced by about £50 but GLWS  :evilgrin: :laugh:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:59:54 pm »
I deteste seeing people saying things like "you can get a new one for £40 more" :stupid:

It really pisses me off.

I've done the good luck with sale thing along with a positive comment about the item In the past mainly as a way to bump the thread In the hope that it would aid the sale.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 10:01:31 pm »
I don't want to buy the treadmill as I think it's overpriced by about £50 but GLWS  :evilgrin: :laugh:

Your wife posted pics up of your ever growing beer belly since marriage. that £50 is worth every extra penny.   :evilgrin:  :pomppomp:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:17:24 pm »
I don't want to buy the treadmill as I think it's overpriced by about £50 but GLWS  :evilgrin: :laugh:

Your wife posted pics up of your ever growing beer belly since marriage. that £50 is worth every extra penny.   :evilgrin:  :pomppomp:

Rather be hairy and fat than the alternative   :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Eh Jay?

DaveB proud to be stout.....only selling the treadmill cos I felt tight using it!!!   :laugh:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 10:22:45 pm »
I think the usual "glws" and "free bump" posts are useless and should be deleted (unless by the op). No reason why genuine questions can't be left for all to see. Often there's extra info that may aid other buyers who didn't get the sale.

If there's an overrealistic price eg 05 stock GTI priced at £20k, it's reasonable to suggest it may be too high. Some people are just trolling and again their posts should be deleted.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 10:35:31 pm »
I think the usual "glws" and "free bump" posts are useless and should be deleted (unless by the op). No reason why genuine questions can't be left for all to see. Often there's extra info that may aid other buyers who didn't get the sale.

If there's an overrealistic price eg 05 stock GTI priced at £20k, it's reasonable to suggest it may be too high. Some people are just trolling and again their posts should be deleted.

I really think it's not worth commented even if you think the 05 Gti is over priced. The seller will find out soon enough if it doesn't sell? Right?