Make a donation

Author Topic: Jimp's Sage Green Daily  (Read 5259 times)

Jimp

Jimp's Sage Green Daily
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:24:24 am »
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I usually post on golfgti.co.uk but the mk5 section there is a bit quiet.
So here's my daily, a sage green 1.4 16v 75bhp Golf mk5. Sportline spec so it has the super comfy sports seats :grin: It averages 42ish mpg no matter what I do so it's good for eating up the miles. I've done a few small mods along the way, some have stayed and some have left. I've also bought some bigger stuff like aftermarket projectors and an ABT body kit but none of it stayed cause I thought it looked naff  :undecided: Here are some pictures from scattered periods over the last three years:

Last week a set of coilovers, GTI side skirts and a Cupra R front splitter were fitted. I didn't quite get the 70mm drop I was aiming for, only got 65ish. The front coils are down the way with the helpers in and the rears have 10mm left with all adjusters and stuff still in. Didn't drop the rear to the max as there would have had crazy reverse rake. There's a 1 finger gap all around at the moment. It should settle nicely though as the springs are still quite tense so once they bed it the height should drop that 10mm or so more that I was looking for. It's not as low as my Vento but not everything goes as low as a mk3  :grin: Still, it looks a lot better now  :happy2:
Only 3 terrible pictures for the moment:

The ride on these coils is luuuush. It's like stock  :shocked: If any mk5 owners are looking for coilovers I 100% recommend AP coils :happy2:
All in all it's looking a lot better. Looks properly mean when rolling. Arch gap should be gone once the coils settle down. After four days on the coils I'm very happy with how everything turned out  :smiley:
Finally, an artsy camera phone picture of some early morning beading:

Thanks for readng  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:27:28 am by Jimp »

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Jimp's Sage Green Daily
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:57:23 am »
Hey Jimp welcome!  :drinking:

The Skoda wheels look very good!  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:01:39 pm »
Im loving those wheels... what are they called?  :happy2:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:25:33 pm »
Nice color !!  :happy2:

I'd drop the rear a bit.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:11:54 pm »
Looks great now. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Jimp

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:28 pm »
Thanks everyone  :smiley:
The wheels are 18" Zenith wheels from a mk2 facelift Octavia VRS. Mate of mine has one and I bought his wheels after he got some Cades Bern.
The rear is staying at it's current setting until the helper springs up front are removed, if that time ever arrives. If I dropped the rear any further at the moment it will look reverse raked. Even though the car might be sitting level the shape of the rear arch makes it look like it has reverse rake. This happened on my Vento and I just lowered the front some more but there isn't as much out-of-the-box lowering on this coilover kit compared to the Vento kits.
Besides, nose down looks mean  :wink:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 05:29:30 pm »
Side skirts level looks even better (and drives better).

:wink:
"You get what you pay for."