Make a donation

Author Topic: Parking Sensor faulty?  (Read 3580 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
Parking Sensor faulty?
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:44:24 am »
I am getting an intermittant ghost reading from my factory fitted reverse parking sensors.

I had a look and one of them is flaking its paint slightly and starting to bubble.

Does anyone know what I can expect to pay to get this rectified at a stealer or is self fit an option? if so, where would i source it from.

Do these come ready painted or have you to paint them yourself?

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Parking Sensor faulty?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:08:32 am »
You dont need to replace the sensor just get the paint repaired on it, they come un-painted so even if you buy a new sensor you will have to paint it.  And the ghost is probably the sensor picking up the paint which it is seeing as an obstacle reflective surface with a gap between the sensor surface and the inner wall of the paint.  Even overly dirty sensors can read as an obstacle.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »
Thanks  :happy2:

I will give it a sandown and remove the debris from the area, hopefully it will fix it.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:29:59 pm »
Dont go too crazy with the sand paper as they will be plastic under the layer of paint (should be black in colour) removing the paint will show if its just the bubble in the paint causing it to go crazy. 

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:33:25 pm »
Do you know if they can be replaced individually if required? Do they pop/ screw out or is it a bumper off job and to a garage?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »
Think they can be individually replaced, never done it myself but I believe each one has a separate plug connection into a wiring harness and will detach from the bumper.

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:48 pm »
I flaked the paint off it seems to have improved things but the plastic face of the sensor is pitted, it looks corroded. I'll post a pic in the morning but reckon it needs a swap out unless I can "prime" the sensor some way then paint to match the rest.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:15:16 am »
The sensors sit in a retainer on the bumper, if you can reach it from the bottom you need to release the 2 plastic lugs. Otherwise you will need to take the bumper off. You can unplug it from the wiring loom
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline pobmk4

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 05:23:41 pm »
If its corroded then i'd advise you to replace it, its quite a common problem throughout the range, but its a DIY job, theres not much to it (well depending how big your arms are!! :grin:) but as Ed says, remove the screws from the tabs below the bumper and reach up and remove the sensor from its mounting point!!