Make a donation

Author Topic: Fitting LED Sidelights  (Read 14401 times)

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Fitting LED Sidelights
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 04:46:33 pm »
ah wiggle up & down, will try that next time.
last time I used small nose pliers, blind , just feel to find end of bulb holder to pull, and they did take some pulling...hopefully vw have made this easier on mk6 & 7?

no photos sorry, but they are bright & very white.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:50:01 pm by paulw123 »
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline mk5Eire

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 05:53:46 pm »
Ive never found any good LED sidelights. Ive used the mtec white sidelights and ive used some of the ones off ebay but i prefer the look of the oem sidelights or osram do sidelights which are a bit whiter than the oem ones and they can be seen in the daytime. The led sidelights cant be seen during the day at all.

When fitting them wear rubber gloves, as mentioned already it helps the grip plus you shouldnt touch the glass of the bulbs without gloves on. Might also save your fingers and hands from getting shredded trying to take out the bulb.

ReeceH13

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 09:51:59 am »
Thanks to Paul for reccommending these lights, they're great!  :happy2:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:54:35 am by ReeceH13 »

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 09:58:33 am »
The other reviews on the forum suggest removing the headlight to this work but it really is not necessary. I used my phone to take a picture of the light so I knew what I was looking for. I then used a needle nosed pliers with a 45° angle to grip the light housing. From the picture shown the sidelights have 2 cables coming off and the housing is an orangey-brown. Grip the housing NOT THE CABLE firmly with the pliers and pull directly out. Grip the original bulb firmly with your fingers and just pull out from the holder. Make sure you give the new bulb a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth before you plug it back in.
Tip: To make sure you’re getting the right light, turn on the sidelights to get an idea of where it is located but be sure to turn them back off before removing,
The driver side is a little more tricky because there’s a few things in the way. You can still get at it with pliers but you’re doing it blind so use your phones internal camera to see what you’re gripping or alternatively remove the front grill, loosen the headlight and pull out at a slight angle to get a better view. You don’t need to take the bumper off because you’re only tilting the headlight to one side.