Make a donation

Author Topic: Tornado Red GTi DSG  (Read 3460 times)

diesel junior

Tornado Red GTi DSG
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:47:29 pm »
Hola amigos, sun beating down here so no finer time to get stuck into the new car and after a 6 hour shift i hope the pics do justice! Started the party with the Meguiars Clay bar then it was Autoglym Ultra Shine and Extra gloss protection both pummelled into submission by Halfords 240v DA polisher which did a great job as ever. Only disappointment was that i couldnt get the tailpipes as to how i would like them...are they meant to be chrome? Well, they survived the wire wool/WD 40 assault and am now planning my next attack, maybe Brasso but maybe a wire brush on the end of my Black and Decker for a bit more abrasion....any advice much appreciated!

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Tornado Red GTi DSG
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:36:16 pm »
Looks fantastic mate  :congrats: Well done  :smiley:

diesel junior

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:48:57 pm »
Thanks very much! On my Corrado i had some panels resprayed and a damn good job was done, however on the Golf the paint is original and you realise (IMO) that nothing can beat the factory finish.........

Nasir

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:22:31 pm »
Beautiful, more pics please :laugh:

Use Autosol (sp) with some wire wool on the exhausts and they'll look brand new again.

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 07:09:33 pm »
Lovely looking car! What are the front tyres, they look similar to the factory fit Nissan GTR tyres?

diesel junior

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:41:41 pm »
Autosol? Not sure what that is and we probably cant get that here in Spain!!!! The Brits tend to complain about Halfords but a few of us would crawl over broken glass for a Halfords over here.....Nasir thanks for the tip tho.....have just looked it up on Google, looks good stuff, would you use a metal brush head on a power drill to get them as they should be for extra oomph by the way??? George, the front tyres are brand new and are Bridgestone Potenzas and seem very good, mind you have just had three years on Dunlop 195s on the Corrado which may account for a bit of the difference..... :grin: Here are a couple more photos for you, they are here in Altea (just north of Benidorm) but the site is famous as the Greenwich meridian goes thru here and people are always having their picture taken with one foot in the Eastern hemi the other in the West etc, tourists eh??????  :stupid:

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:54:51 pm »
I would happily trade Halfords for sunny Spain  :laugh:

diesel junior

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:06:11 pm »
Not sunny today, better weather for the Royal Wedding than here! Will have another go at the tailpipes tomorrow. Had a good drive today, that S mode on the DSG is something else  :happy2: If Kate Middleton's sister was a gearbox.........anyway, car goes in on Tuesday for cambelt, rollers and water pump change, thanks for the advice on the latter, makes sense to do it at the same time.....happy driving!

diesel junior

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 03:04:42 pm »
OK, here are some more pictures from the sunny Costa Blanca, the car has its cambelt and water pump change on Thursday, it deserves it, i am truly in love with it  :happy2: Sadly i do not miss the Corrado any more, 312mm front disks have got something to do with it i think........ :grin:

The engine came up a treat with KH7 kitchen degreaser, the cover make it so much easier to clean than the Corrado.....

Nasir

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 03:11:35 pm »
Great pictures once again mate, I see you tackled those exhausts nicely :happy2:

diesel junior

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 03:15:19 pm »
Thanks Nasir, exhausts are much better but am back in the UK for a month in just over a week and Autosol is on the shopping list and some more abrasive wire wool wouldnt go amiss either. It was a so and so of a job but not on the level of doing a heater matrix on a Corrado  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Nasir

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 11:50:54 am »
 :signLOL: I wouldn't know about Corrados. How come you've not put the 18" Monza IIs on?

diesel junior

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 02:37:06 pm »
Hmmmm, good point, er, because i havent got round to the wheel thread yet!! I actually like the ones it came with but they need a refurb in the autumn when i come back. Go on the Corrado forum and the heater matrix is a legendary job, for one person its 7 hours minimum and everything has to come off, dashboard, seats (for access), instrument panel you name it and the end result is a pin sized hole in the matrix. Having said that, the worst part is when the damn thing breaks, 120kmh and all of a sudden the vents chuck steam at you, zero visibility, zero G12, zero entertainment........

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 07:38:04 pm »
Still looking good buddy! Can you do me a favour and get the part number for those tyres please? It probably starts with an R

diesel junior

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 11:54:48 am »
George they are RE 070 Bridgestone Potenzas i checked 'em this morning! I have always been a Michelin fan but these are excellent, we have had monsoon like conditions here over the last few days (if you saw the match on Tuesday you would have got an idea......) and the tyres have been terrific thru the rain, standing water etc i recommend them! Just need a wheel refurb in the autumn when i come back! Thanks and happy motoring!