Make a donation

Author Topic: Bin laden killed  (Read 6646 times)

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
Re: Bin laden killed
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:10 am »
They've done all right !!

Kill him and dump him at sea was the best solution.

:wink:
"You get what you pay for."

Ifti

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 12:38:46 pm »
sky news has a bit more info, burial at sea is an islamic tradition and also they didnt want his grave becoming a shrine

unfortunately there are plenty more nutters out there

No, it's not - but burial within 24 hours is, which is what I believe the newspeople refer to when they say "he was buried at sea within 24 hours in accordance with islamic tradition". But the burial at sea is to prevent a grave from becoming a shrine. Smart move I think.

The way they've handled this says a lot about Obama, actually. I imagine a Republican president would have put up pictures/video of the corpse, or brought it back to the US. Obama by not doing that kept his dignity (and the US moral high ground) (while at the same time probably ensuring his reelection). I imagine of course they've taken all the necessary dental records (and I've heard they've done DNA tests) to ensure beyond any doubt that it was indeed OBL.

...also, must've been some hard-corps pilots (probably 16th SOAR? any military types want to chime in with speculation?) who undertook a mission to fly under radar, at night, through mountainous terrain there and back...

Neither Pakistan or Saudi Arabia would allow the body back into their country - hence the sea burial.

Nasir

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 03:15:17 pm »
It is not Islamic tradition to bury the body at sea, or within 24 hours. Why they're saying is up to anybody to decide.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »
Burial at sea is not but burial within 24hrs is :confused:

Either that or every briefing I have ever had on Islamic traditions within places like Pakistan,Afghanistan,Iraq (some by Imman's and Islamic scholars) are all telling pork pies.

The brief I have always been given is that according to Islamic tradition it involves ritual washing, shrouding and burial within 24 hours.

Ifti

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 07:30:40 pm »

Either that or every briefing I have ever had on Islamic traditions within places like Pakistan,Afghanistan,Iraq (some by Imman's and Islamic scholars) are all telling pork pies.

The brief I have always been given is that according to Islamic tradition it involves ritual washing, shrouding and burial within 24 hours.

Thats correct. Burial at sea has nothing to do with anything. It was only because they probably didnt know what to do with the body since the closest countries didnt want anything to do with it.

Nasir

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 07:38:35 pm »

I've always been aware (and others believe the same) that the body should be buried within 3 days.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:43 pm »
Are you getting confused with the 3 days of mourning to be observed by relatives?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 08:49:15 pm »
Are you getting confused with the 3 days of mourning to be observed by relatives?
He's got a muslim name, is probably muslim and you're questioning him on islamic rites of passage?  :grin: :signLOL:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 09:02:00 pm »
I have been subject to similar briefs, and they all stated that devout Muslim custom is bathing, shrouding and burial is to be carried out within 24 hours of death.

Guess they must be wrong.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:03:43 pm by QD »

Ifti

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 09:09:09 pm »
Ive always been told its within 24 hours if possible.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 09:16:15 pm »
He's got a muslim name, is probably muslim and you're questioning him on islamic rites of passage?  :grin: :signLOL:

Well yes when everything I have ever been briefed on says contrary to what he is saying :confused:

I don't mean this in any dis-respect to Nasir as I'm not saying he is the same. But I have met a fair few Muslims who don't know what their own traditions are and a fair few who interpret them differently to suit themselves

But I am inclined to believe what I have been briefed given the level of knowledge of the person giving the brief.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:18:35 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »
Osama bin Laden killed in Pakistan.

Who says you cant take your bin out on a Bank Holiday.  :laugh:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »
@Stealth - I'm a muslim, and I'm saying it's within 24 hours (if possible). The three days is a mourning period.

Nasir

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 10:46:13 pm »
It has been interpreted differently. Unfortunately I have been to Islamic funerals and there is no sudden rush to bury the body in 24 hours. Anyway I'm no Islamic scholar and the outcome is good nonetheless (Bin Laden's death).

Edit: I think it also depends on what country you live in (whether you have a freezer etc). But the earlier the better.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:00:16 pm by Nasir »

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 11:01:46 pm »
Indeed a mean bit of flying, the special forces helicopter pilots are a hairy bunch...got a guy in our company who never mentioned his prior flying life but only let it slip after 5 years of working together and after letting slip a "Hereford" operation from the 80's. I get told to shut up when I quiz him now.

A true pro and very very good operator, with incredible situational awareness.

One would hope the "mother load" of intel pays dividends going forward