Make a donation

Author Topic: Can someone tell me....  (Read 8601 times)

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Can someone tell me....
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 09:19:03 pm »
Do you think the "open grills" look better?

They make the front of the car look more purposeful and aggressive IMO.  I really think they improve the front end

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 11:02:35 pm »

....Do you think they look better?

These arrived today. Really cheap! :wink:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline savechip17

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:46 pm »
ive got the open for grills. and think they look better.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20:31 am »
Jesus, now thats a price hike!

I wasnt sure onthe look tbh, with closed the flow of the grill I thought looked better - I had some on and removed but I might put back on for a second look  :confused:

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 08:40:07 am »
I have just fitted them to mine and it changed the appearence a little but does look so much better.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 09:43:25 am »

Nope. If all the mesh was punched out, they'd look ok. But as it's only a square section on each side, they don't do it for me.

I can't back it up scientifically without doing some work on it, but having worked with CFD in the past, I'd imagine this causes added turbulence and drag at the front of the car, particularly if they are used as a purely cosmetic mod and the air isn't routed any where. Think about trying to move a cup through water open-end first and the resistance you feel. With these open grills that are closed from behind, it's a similar effect
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 10:28:38 am »

Nope. If all the mesh was punched out, they'd look ok. But as it's only a square section on each side, they don't do it for me.

I can't back it up scientifically without doing some work on it, but having worked with CFD in the past, I'd imagine this causes added turbulence and drag at the front of the car, particularly if they are used as a purely cosmetic mod and the air isn't routed any where. Think about trying to move a cup through water open-end first and the resistance you feel. With these open grills that are closed from behind, it's a similar effect

Maybe you want the fully finished grill on the right...    :smiley:

Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 10:29:36 am »

....Do you think they look better?

These arrived today. Really cheap! :wink:

your another slut buying all this carbon. These looked the shizzle on Neil M's
I was going to say get some pics up, but of course no need to with you  :wink:

Offline savechip17

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 10:56:02 am »

Maybe you want the fully finished grill on the right...    :smiley:

did you cut them extra holes yourself?

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 11:12:10 am »
That is one very knackered Dremmel and a lot of patience you must have... good work!

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 11:13:03 am »
^^^^

The problem with cutting out all the holes is that you then see rough looking bulkhead in the upper region behind.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 11:15:29 am »
Mask it off and spray it black?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:17:49 am by animal »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 11:21:07 am »

Mask it off and spray it?

....Yes, the best solution but still pretty untidy looking as you'd still see the sides of the fogs etc etc - Messy visually.

I prefer the square section but it looks like an amateur afterthought stylistically (I know I've got them on mine). I really detest the filled in ones as they look like a pretend vent.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 11:52:21 am »
I'm a big advocate of form following function, not the reverse. For whatever reason VW decided to ditch the open grills. I'm happy to accept that an engineering decision has out weighed an aesthetic one.

I've seen people solve similar problems with cross members etc. showing through mesh buy painting the offending object black. You'd be surprised how well it hides everything that sits behind the grill. Obviously you wouldn't want to use a gloss black that would shine through, but with a matte finish, unless you got really close or direct light fell on the grill, you'd be hard pushed to see what was behind the full open grill.

Offline AwesomeSarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 03:16:26 pm »
Hi
Having had the time to catch up with quite a bit of forum work , I am now here on yours and decided to see what is going on
To my distress I see this
Now , what can I say?
These products , we have not been getting these from the dealers..... we have been shipping them in from America  :ashamed:
But then , now we are looking in to these from the dealers.....
I am so sorry , you will find that parts we get from the dealers , we sell at dealer prices or less
So our apologies , but we will be getting a pair on order from the dealer now , as we have just got the part numbers , so please watch , as the prices will be lowered very soon
Sarah