Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2590208 times)

Offline smilespergallon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 0
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12600 on: February 27, 2023, 10:14:23 pm »

Replaced the front drop links today.

The fronts were easier to take off than the rears. I had to cut one of the rear drop links off, but I was able to get all of the nuts off the bolts for the fronts. There was one tricky nut, but some WD-40 and a 380mm breaker bar got the job done eventually.

Getting the new ones on wasn't hard either. I jacked up both sides of the car at the same time, as I heard it takes the stress out of the anti-roll bar and helps with getting the new drop links in to position.

It was fairly straightforward overall. I think I'm getting better at dealing with rusty bolts though, so that's helping a lot.

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12601 on: February 28, 2023, 01:21:44 pm »
I went for a drive.

Sounds stupid maybe, but I've owned the car for four months and between going to the mechanic, and sitting in the garage, or the occasional school run, I really haven't spent much time actually enjoying the car.

So last night the weather was dry, and I took her out and hit some back roads. Had a bit of fun, relieved some stress, and came home feeling better than when I left.

Also the car is running well and I only had one error code afterwards for the EVAP system  :congrats:

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12602 on: March 01, 2023, 04:22:16 pm »
Installed the RS4 FPRV in a quest to cure my random fuel cuts, old one had some crud and sh*tty crap showing and guess it was worse inside. Also changed the HPFP fuel rail that I managed to twist whilst checking my cam follower few weeks ago. Also changed a coil which was cracked at the connector part. Went for a drive after for around an hour, no more fuel cuts till now, knock on wood that they don't return as they've been driving me crazy.

Also changed the front rotors + pads, got ATE powerdiscs with Ferodo DS Perf pads and Miller's 300+ brake fluid... feels like a different car. Old brake fluid was almost black and had a sh*t ton of air on the fronts.

Also replaced the control arm bushings as they were knackered, car was wandering with WOT pulls after 100kmh, they were really toasted. Installed some Audi TT "full" ones instead of the stuff VW sells. Car feels great in turns and the wheels are rock solid, no more wandering on accels.

Happy camper  :drinking:

2007 ED30

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #12603 on: March 06, 2023, 05:29:27 pm »
So not posted for ages but thought it might be interesting for folks to know at 160k miles what needed to be done to continue breathing life into my daily ED30. I have had a very small head gasket leak for years (rear, near cylinder 4) and it wasn't serious enough to do anything about. But recently the fluid top ups were getting on my t*ts and I decided to pull the plug on a head gasket fix. At the same time it was due a water pump and belt change... in for a penny as they say.

The head was duly sent off for checking and a skim if necessary (they did) and a decoke  :grin: . At the same time the cam chain which was deemed to be a bit slack (This was the second chain as last was changed at 94k) was up for replacement. So new tensioner and chain as well... in for two pennies now  :signLOL: They also cleaned the head and put it all back together with new bolts, a new PCV, sump check, new valve stem seals and oil refill. I am gonna see if the oil consumption is less now because of the valve stem seal change. You can hope cant you??

I was amazed at how much better the engine is and sounds fabulous. Much less tiketty noise and a much much smoother engine. The combination of head cleaning and new cam chain has really made me fall in love all over again.  Not the cheapest of things to do on the car but the original leak is fixed and I get my cars mojo back again. Hopefully I wont need another cam chain until I move on to another car at some point.... Been looking to see if there are any ED35's but they are pretty rare.

Cheers
Rip
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #12604 on: March 07, 2023, 12:19:08 am »
@skkane, would be interested to here if the finish on youe Ate's lasts. Replaced the warped brembos on mine for the normal Ate's but the finish isn't as good as the brembos and they are showing signs of rusting.

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12605 on: March 07, 2023, 09:09:57 am »
@skkane, would be interested to here if the finish on youe Ate's lasts. Replaced the warped brembos on mine for the normal Ate's but the finish isn't as good as the brembos and they are showing signs of rusting.

Hopefully they will :) I'll report back once I put 10k miles on them.
2007 ED30

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #12606 on: March 07, 2023, 09:39:07 am »
So not posted for ages but thought it might be interesting for folks to know at 160k miles what needed to be done to continue breathing life into my daily ED30. I have had a very small head gasket leak for years (rear, near cylinder 4) and it wasn't serious enough to do anything about. But recently the fluid top ups were getting on my t*ts and I decided to pull the plug on a head gasket fix. At the same time it was due a water pump and belt change... in for a penny as they say.

The head was duly sent off for checking and a skim if necessary (they did) and a decoke  :grin: . At the same time the cam chain which was deemed to be a bit slack (This was the second chain as last was changed at 94k) was up for replacement. So new tensioner and chain as well... in for two pennies now  :signLOL: They also cleaned the head and put it all back together with new bolts, a new PCV, sump check, new valve stem seals and oil refill. I am gonna see if the oil consumption is less now because of the valve stem seal change. You can hope cant you??

I was amazed at how much better the engine is and sounds fabulous. Much less tiketty noise and a much much smoother engine. The combination of head cleaning and new cam chain has really made me fall in love all over again.  Not the cheapest of things to do on the car but the original leak is fixed and I get my cars mojo back again. Hopefully I wont need another cam chain until I move on to another car at some point.... Been looking to see if there are any ED35's but they are pretty rare.

Cheers
Rip

How coked up were the valves?

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #12607 on: March 14, 2023, 04:34:41 pm »
How coked up were the valves?
They weren’t that bad but I don’t have any pics, they vapour blasted and lapped the valves as well. You can definitely notice the improvement in smoothness and drive. With my high miles I think it made sense to do it as the head was off. When it had a walnut blast at R-Tec at 94k they said it was particularly bad. I think it helps with longevity and smooth running for high mile cars.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12608 on: March 26, 2023, 09:16:45 pm »
Quick machine polish today

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
« Reply #12609 on: March 27, 2023, 06:04:21 am »
Quick machine polish today

Looks stunning  :congrats:.

One day I'll get round to doing mine.

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12610 on: March 27, 2023, 02:37:59 pm »

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #12611 on: March 27, 2023, 02:49:14 pm »
Yeah Not bad :smiley:  Do like the wheels

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12612 on: March 28, 2023, 10:16:30 am »
Gave the old girl a wash and fitted a TRC front splitter and rear Whiteline ARB and links. Was a productive day and looking forward to a bit less body roll.

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12613 on: March 28, 2023, 05:46:38 pm »
Gave the old girl a wash and fitted a TRC front splitter and rear Whiteline ARB and links. Was a productive day and looking forward to a bit less body roll.

Gorgeous mate loving the front lip been debating to get one myself think I will now after seeing this. I wanted the side skirt extensions but I can't see them anywhere

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12614 on: March 28, 2023, 05:47:42 pm »

Scary stuff lol