Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2569359 times)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12750 on: March 18, 2024, 08:19:01 pm »
Car just rolled over 216,000 miles  :grin: No plans to sell at all.

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #12751 on: March 19, 2024, 11:56:06 am »
Just passed MOT with no advisories at 129,000 miles  :grin:

3rd MOT with the BCS 100 cel sports cat passing emissions too.

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12752 on: March 19, 2024, 08:02:36 pm »

I'm at 122k and can't bring myself to sell. I look at MK7s and then just think I will miss my old girl.

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12753 on: March 26, 2024, 10:01:57 pm »

I'm at 122k and can't bring myself to sell. I look at MK7s and then just think I will miss my old girl.

Me neither, the fact it just went through it's MOT today and passed with one minor advisory for a swollen brake line and another for a screw in the middle of a tyre also makes me not want to sell. Seriously thinking maybe a Stage 1 at R Tech might be on the cards this year...at last, only taken 5 years 😅

Offline MandyFlibble

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12754 on: March 31, 2024, 08:25:29 am »
Putting her up for sale  :sad:

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #12755 on: April 20, 2024, 12:37:25 pm »
Finally found some decent, genuine R32 side skirts to replace my standard black GTI ones.

They were blue and so got some quotes which cost £250 + vat at places, so passed on that and resorted to the rattle can but tried to avoid due to lack of time.....but made some 😅

Created a make shift spray booth in the garage

Bought the paint from TPS, sanded, prepped and repaired knocks before painting with plastic primer, the colour and lacquer. Wet sanded it all 2000, 3000, 5000, 7000 and 100000

And now a little more sun baking before going on the car soon

Not a bad finish if I say so myself

Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12756 on: April 20, 2024, 12:54:00 pm »
At my visits to R-Tech for stage 1 and then 2+ I was told the Vvt had some fluctuation. I changed the solenoid in between the first and second visit and it made the fluctuations less but not 100%. So looking back at pictures of when I did my cam chain I saw there were grooves in the phaser itself (I had no idea when I did the chain that the grooves aren’t actually supposed to be there 😂) so decided a new phaser was in order. All fitted up and running sweet. Amazing how quiet the engine is with over 100k.

Also had a general under bonnet and front grille tidy up…painted with satin black tough paint and gloss red.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #12757 on: April 20, 2024, 02:50:34 pm »
Finally found some decent, genuine R32 side skirts to replace my standard black GTI ones.

They were blue and so got some quotes which cost £250 + vat at places, so passed on that and resorted to the rattle can but tried to avoid due to lack of time.....but made some

Created a make shift spray booth in the garage

Bought the paint from TPS, sanded, prepped and repaired knocks before painting with plastic primer, the colour and lacquer. Wet sanded it all 2000, 3000, 5000, 7000 and 100000

And now a little more sun baking before going on the car soon

Not a bad finish if I say so myself

So you bought them!?! I had my eye on them and confirming they came off a 5 door, was about to hit buy and they disappeared. Well done with those though, as they don’t come up often and looked in good nick. Was going to see about getting them professionally done but might try the diy route when I find another set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12758 on: April 20, 2024, 07:53:01 pm »
Yes sorry  :innocent:

Good luck with the hunt
Mike

South Coast

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12759 on: April 22, 2024, 12:27:53 am »
At my visits to R-Tech for stage 1 and then 2+ I was told the Vvt had some fluctuation. I changed the solenoid in between the first and second visit and it made the fluctuations less but not 100%. So looking back at pictures of when I did my cam chain I saw there were grooves in the phaser itself (I had no idea when I did the chain that the grooves aren’t actually supposed to be there 😂) so decided a new phaser was in order. All fitted up and running sweet. Amazing how quiet the engine is with over 100k.

Also had a general under bonnet and front grille tidy up…painted with satin black tough paint and gloss red. [/url]
One more thing, often overlooked, is the N205's oil pickup screen (first pic) should be carefully removed, cleaned, and replaced. This insures maximum oil flow for the cam adjuster to properly adjust itself via the N205. Three new rings also insure the containment of the oil fed to the new cam adjuster unit (second pic).

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 12:29:49 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12760 on: April 22, 2024, 03:20:38 pm »

Also had a general under bonnet and front grille tidy up…painted with satin black tough paint and gloss red. [/url]
One more thing, often overlooked, is the N205's oil pickup screen (first pic) should be carefully removed, cleaned, and replaced. This insures maximum oil flow for the cam adjuster to properly adjust itself via the N205. Three new rings also insure the containment of the oil fed to the new cam adjuster unit (second pic).

Definitely good advice!! Luckily I did both of these whilst it was apart  :happy2:

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12761 on: April 22, 2024, 03:47:28 pm »
Treated the car to a new steering wheel - nothing wrong with the old one (except for fraying thread at the 3 o’clock position where my thumb rests) but wanted to smarten it up a bit.

Next job to upgrade the gear knob to match.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12762 on: April 22, 2024, 03:56:06 pm »
I like it, but think the carbon buttons are a little too much carbon if that makes sense.
Mike

South Coast

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12763 on: April 22, 2024, 03:59:56 pm »
I thinking the same - I’m getting used to it but I can always swap it for the original black ones. The carbon fibre layer makes the buttons more recessed so not as easy to press either. Also not sure which gear knob I should pair it with

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 04:05:44 pm by fakie1977 »

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12764 on: April 22, 2024, 04:27:59 pm »
If the weave is the same, then carbon......but it looks different to me.
Mike

South Coast