Make a donation

Author Topic: elements 9 photoshop on the Mac.  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
elements 9 photoshop on the Mac.
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:40:15 am »
I havn't bothered using it since i bought it months ago. Decided it is time to start learning a bit of photoshoperry.
I have transferred all the pics from i-photo, done all the editing i want. Now cant load the pics onto flickr. They are Jpeg's and even when i reduce the size right down or put the quality down to low, it still tells me the file is too big.
After edit i get 3 options that i can see. 1 save, 2 save as, 3 save for web. I have tried every single combination in these 3 options but its not playing ball.  :love:

I am close to throwing the bloody thing out the window, can anyone help this dufus out.  :ashamed:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: elements 9 photoshop on the Mac.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:50:52 am »
get photoshop as i said this morning mate.

the problem is very likely to be caused by the DPI of the image. Thats easily changed in photoshop, but god knows if it is in elements. this new mac world has me in meltdown!!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:06:19 pm »
what the hell you doing playing with photos  :driver:  :wink:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 12:07:55 pm »
The picture is fine if i export it to Flickr from elements unedited. Just tried adding a border and it then is saying file size to big. Just followed a tutorial on you tube to reduce the size using the save for web option, i reduced it well past the tutorials recommended amount and still no joy.  :fighting2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:12:38 am »
^
As Jay says, USUALLY in Adobe CS 'Save for web' launches a window with the ability to easily do it in Photoshop and there are many settings there you can choose to select in order to achieve a small enough file size. Plus it tells you what size your settings have achieved before you Save it. It's fast too.

Have you registered on Adobe's User Forum and asked the question there? Adobe techies often visit there. Same with Apple Discussions.

Not an answer to your question but are you using Aperture 3, TC?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:30:37 pm »
Thanks Robin,  :happy2: i think i will start looking at Aperture 3 again, i have hardly used it.  :ashamed:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qtdv9s4u919bjek0itc3l8pn27&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:39:50 pm »
Are you resizing the photo before you save? When uploading to flickr I always resize to fit to into 1024 along the longest side. (cmd+alt+I)

Then when you save it wont be saving the full res. image.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 07:44:04 pm »
Are you resizing the photo before you save? When uploading to flickr I always resize to fit to into 1024 along the longest side. (cmd+alt+I)

Then when you save it wont be saving the full res. image.

Yes this is what is getting me confused, even if i resize it down to a postage stamp, size, it wont play ball. They are only Jpegs and if i dont edit them at all they send straight out of elements to Flickr no problem. Even if i save them as a file and then try and load from photobucket, i can find the file but cant click/highlight it.  :sad1:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qtdv9s4u919bjek0itc3l8pn27&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »
Odd. How big are the files that you are struggling to upload?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »
1.30MB.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »
LOL... hardly server overload then.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:01:46 pm »
Last time i used it i had the same problem as it was my first and only venture into RAW, but after resizing them how you suggested it worked. I have not used it since, can only think i have locked something or pressed a button marked ( DO NOT PRESS ).  :chicken:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:00 pm »
Confused? Yeah.. so am I!  :signLOL:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »
Its not the end of the world, at my age i need to be learning photoshop every night to actually take any info in. If i leave it for a few weeks i am back to square one.  :ashamed:  :grin:
Now the car swap is sorted, i am going to get back into learning photography, i get frustrated that photoshop is such a big part of the subject nowadays, but thats just because of my own  :mad: short comings.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 01:04:16 am »

Its not the end of the world, at my age i need to be learning photoshop every night to actually take any info in. If i leave it for a few weeks i am back to square one.  :ashamed:  :grin:
Now the car swap is sorted, i am going to get back into learning photography, i get frustrated that photoshop is such a big part of the subject nowadays, but thats just because of my own  :mad: short comings.

....Photoshop looks very daunting but in fact different folks only use the part of it which suits their needs and not the whole programme! You're right about frequent practice helping though.

IMO you're doing very well indeed as a photographer regardless of how much you use or don't use Photoshop. By all means experiment but don't fall into the trap of spoiling (in my opinion) pics by over manipulating them.

I thought I had posted a link for you to Apple Discussions above but.... so.... https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

The Adobe User Forum is also a helpful resource.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!