Make a donation

Author Topic: Lean Fuel Issues after 4k rpm on Revo Stage 2+ Ed30  (Read 86151 times)

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: Lean Fuel Issues after 4k rpm on Revo Stage 2+ Ed30
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 08:51:11 pm »
its a interesting issue but I wouldnt be concerned,  REVO are   :happy2: and have a huge customer base.
As with APR though, I still question why things are done a certain way as ED30 maps tend to differ quite a bit :innocent: for AFR and boost profiles etc

edit : this is the thread, note it becomes a bit of a bun fight but some interesting points.
It would be virtually impossible to know whether your own map (insert vendor here) has prot mapping without logging it yourself........

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57371&highlight=APR+AFR
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:56:02 pm by john_o »
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 11:24:30 am »
I'll ask Keith about the protection issue at JKM tomorrow - I think he is back at JKM today but probably very busy with backlog work.  I'll also get the logs from him and post them on the forum.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 11:26:20 am »

Also I live in Bury St Edmunds and am willing to help if you ever need it.

Thanks KRL... thats really appreciated.  If you're free sometime in April I might bring the car over and you can have a look - hopefully it'ill be running properly by then  :happy2:  BTW, what do you do for a living as you seem quite clued up - so much so that I actually thought you were Kevin from Revo  :grin: :grin: :grin: 

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 04:41:20 pm »
I'm just an enthusiast and a bit of techno geek as well, hence my interest with VCDS etc.  :evilgrin:
Most of my knowledge comes from playing around with my own car and VCDS and reading up on various stuff in the forums. 

In real life I work in telecoms and spend most of my time troubleshooting various radio networks. 

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:41 pm »

In real life I work in telecoms and spend most of my time troubleshooting various radio networks. 

You don't work for BT at Adastral Park do you?

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 06:26:08 pm »
illyun :

first off really appreciate you taking the time to share all this info  :happy2:
I know first hand how frustrating and time consuming these issues can be  :sad:
Im confident JKM will resolve it as they seem thorough and the best people to have on the case  :happy2:

my prob irrelevant musings ........
Have you tried flashing the car back to Stage2 and seeing how it runs on that SW (just to rule out SW issues?)

That was done by JKM in early March.

Im surprised the car allows the boost/AFR to get into dangerous lean territory before backing off, usually its over protective?

I'll ask Keith about that tomorrow..  :happy2:

Is your cam/follower ok?

Checked by JKM 2 weeks ago and it had no signs of wear . :innocent:

Im surprised the hpfp logs ok while the condition is happening!

Same here  :rolleye:

if its a low pressure problem the hp rail pressure would drop as it cant be fed enough?

Don't know if this has been looked at.
Is it always the same rpm the afr leans out?

Yes, approximately...  :sad:
is there any possible fuel line damage under the car?

I'll get JKM to check...  :happy2:

hope it gets sorted soon and keep us updated
search golfmkv.com as theres plenty of info on their for REVO logs (actual vs requested) and also the fault code.
fingers crossed
JohnO

Thanks for the comments/advice  :wink:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:27:42 pm by illyun »

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 11:09:14 pm »

Nope, although BT are one of our customers.  I don't have much contact with them.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 11:56:46 pm »

Nope, although BT are one of our customers.  I don't have much contact with them.

You lucky man...  I worked for Alcatel-Lucent for 4 1/2 years - 3 1/2 of them on site at Adastral on 21CN.  Now I am contracting for Virgin Media as a Network Architect/Designer/General Dogsbody. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:58:30 pm by illyun »

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 12:46:18 pm »
Cool, I am currently working for Nokia Siemens Networks.   :happy2:

Where are Virgin Media based, are they close by?

No.... Hook (near Reading)  :sad:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 10:35:37 am »
Right, the car was in for a couple more days at JKM this week and this is what they found...

As for their labour charges, JKM charged less than 2 hours labour, while the car was with them for two days and I am sure that the car was worked on for longer than that  :happy2:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:44:33 am by illyun »

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 10:36:23 am »
Anyone having problems reading that?  Its ok for me - just about.

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 11:33:27 am »
Just about readable at the top.

Youve put the same page twice though?

Cheers,
Dan
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 11:43:30 am »

Youve put the same page twice though?

Ahh, yes... ehem.  Now sorted  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:25:54 pm by illyun »

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 11:52:29 am »
Interesting reading.

Im having an issue currently which the car seems quite lean. The ECU is adapting wrongly for some reason it seems. possibly a dodgy sensors.

Its ok after I reset the ECU, but then slowly adapts to this lean condition, over 10-15minutes. no fault codes though. Havent monitored the injection timing yet. might be a good avenue to explore. Ive recently had new injectors and software so am in talks with APR about that.
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 01:21:58 pm »
Speaking to Keith at JKM, he asked me if I had disconnected my battery at any stage...  I thought about it for a second and confirmed that when I did the S3 i/c job myself, the battery had been disconnected.  Keith said that this would have reset the Revo settings to F=0, T=0 and B=0. I didn't realise this at the time and straight after the job, drove it down to VWR in Milton Keynes from Birmingham to have the Quaife fitted.  The car stayed there for a couple of days and I picked it up to take it down to JKM for the Stage 2+ remap  :evilgrin: 

I was forced to fill up with fuel from South Mimms (BP Ultimate which I think is shyte - first time I had ever used it in the car - it always gets V-Power) and the engine warning light came on 5 miles after filling up.  Anyway, I didn't make it to JKM in time and ended up getting Northampton Motorsport to apply the map the next day where I asked for boost to be set to 5.  That night I checked the engine warning with  VAG-COM and from the date//time and mileage, worked out that the issue occured while it was at VWR - just before I picked it up.  The Quaife was probably tested by VWR before I picked my car up and naturally, they would have given it some to make sure everything was working ok... 

This brings me back to what Keith from JKM said.... he said that if the Revo settings were on 0,0,0 then it would mean that the timing may cause issues if the car was driven hard - not sure why although he did explain why but I've forgotten.  I had lean fuel and excess fuel warnings on VAGCOM and I reckon that an inital fuelling issue has had knock on effects and maybe damaged the injectors and associated parts like the fuel pressure limiting valve which may have been subject to very high fuel pressures following the Stage 2+ remap at Northampton Motorsports.... maybe the cause isn't one, but several and the damage has been caused to involved parts of the fuelling system... of course, this is speculation, but JKM have replaced a few bits of the fuelling system and now have narrowed down to the injectors, so it seems to make sense.  I'll find out next week when the injectors are tested and replaced.