Make a donation

Author Topic: How do group buys normally run? I might have something...  (Read 2670 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
How do group buys normally run? I might have something...
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »
I'm looking at HPFPs, and as I have a contact direct for Autotech in the US from previous dealings, I've asked for a price direct.

Says I can have 15% off their list price of $399  (this works out at roughly £233 + shipping) and so can my friends...and for any other part they sell for that matter. Full set of ARBs £303 + shipping.. you get the point.

So I'm thinking how can I take advantage of this without getting into any sort of group buy shenannigans involving taking people's money?? How would I also control who is allowed to join in, word spreads quickly and I don't want to seem like I'm taking the p*** having every Tom Dick and Harry on the take and trying to control masses of orders - would it seem harsh only allowing my friends to be part of this?.. by friends I mean people I know from regular use of this place, along with my mates on MKIVs.

Would anyone be interested in doing a bulk order to save on the shipping?? I think it'd be better if we all contacted Autotech direct for the payment part, rather than it being given to me/someone nominated, then we have a box/crate/pallet delivered to an agreed point (I volunteer TC's house.. ha ha!) and split it down into everyone's parts.

www.autotech.com
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: How do group buys normally run? I might have something...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:23:46 pm »
Mike have you looked into Autotech setting up a deal with a preferred tuner of their choice, That way you can avoid all shipping costs and import duty, and part of that saving would then go to the tuner of choice. I am just making this up as you can probably tell,  :laugh:
But i think its the route BSH are trying to go down with the group buy on intakes. It might take some sorting but your friend's are behind you cheering you on.  :grin:  notice i didn't say shoulder to shoulder.  :innocent:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:56 pm »
Sounds good to me - I'd be interested definately,

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 06:34:44 pm »
I've never paid import duty on anything I've bought from the States, not just Autotech either, but will certainly look into it and how they've obviously got around it?

However I may do a trial run with a few bits with a couple of people I know who'll not be too miffed if we get stung with duty. Will keep you all posted.
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:20:35 pm »
I've never paid import duty on anything I've bought from the States, not just Autotech either, but will certainly look into it and how they've obviously got around it?

However I may do a trial run with a few bits with a couple of people I know who'll not be too miffed if we get stung with duty. Will keep you all posted.

How do you avoid paying duty on your goods, i have a parcel coming soon.  :smiley:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:31:32 pm »
i could be up for a feul pump maybe  :smiley:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:53:51 pm »
i could be up for a feul pump maybe  :smiley:
Aren't you concerned that JKM only got around 1 in 3 AT rebuild pumps to be acceptable to their standards?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:13 pm »
I've asked Autotech about this issue and sent them a copy of JKMs post about the 1:3, I understand there may have also been a revision in design last year?.. but regardless, I want a satisfactory response for sure before I spend money.

I don't want in any way to question JKMs testing or reasons for changing supplier, they're experts, I'm not. But, I'd be interested in hearing the other side of the story.

Based on what I've seen on the likes of the Vortex, where people just straight slag each other off seemingly, APR's main selling point seems to be a lot of "it's more expensive, so it must be better, right?" - sure, I believe you get what you pay for, but I also believe this can be exploited. A best ever luxury Shepherds Pie tastes just as disgusting as a value one and a value apple tastes just as good as the best ever luxury.. it's all in the marketing, bang the price right up and make out the others are inferior.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:32:53 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:44:56 pm »
Update so far.

Autotech confirm they have revised their pump design last year, I don't think JKM have used them for over a year - so it's entirely possible there may have been a few dodgy ones pre-revision. I no reason to doubt JKM's 1:3 figure and I guess AT are never going to say that they got it that wrong... but the fact they acknowledge there was an issue and they made a revision is very encouraging.

I understand why JKM choose not to use them if that was the case, in fact I applaud their choice of customer service over making a fast buck and dealing with problems later  :happy2:

But, Regal still do sell them along with a couple of others and there's not been one report of a dodgy one since the revision...UK or States.

It's up to people to decide for themselves I guess, but at least we know how it has progressed since the problems at JKM.

There's none in stock now until the end of April though, bah!
Sideways yo!