Make a donation

Author Topic: Tfsi Mikes Money Pit :: AKS built Cupra :: TTE420 :: Rtech Tuned  (Read 693517 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
I hope BDM offer you some money back... Sounds like they lifted your leg.... And kicked you in the balls.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
I hope BDM offer you some money back... Sounds like they lifted your leg.... And kicked you in the balls.

Just finished an email to them expressing my sheer frustration!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
How much camber are you running, have you posted the printout

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74

TT lower arms:

Has everyone else has bad clearance issues?  The car is/was quite low admittedly but has been raised about 12mm all round and still catches.

It didnt seem to catch when very roughly set up, but did hourendously after alignment at BDM.

I'm going to raise it again but feel I'm just undoing the camber I bought the adjustable arms for in the 1st place?

Any input welcome  :drinking:

Hi Mike,

I would suspect that you are running >2 negative camber and 8x18 ET 45 TD's. Am I right?
With this setup my car would definitely have problems. I do not know how much Seat Leon's have front clearance but if you have rubbing issues than I would say you have 3 options:
1. remove the TT arms
2. see if you can do something to the inside of the fender so that the clearance will increase (the mk5 has a bolt that has to be removed and that gives more clearance.
3. buy some wider fenders (I am doing this at the moment; I am buying some Kerscher fenders but they don't have any products for Seat  :sad1:)
I'm afraid that by lowering the negative camber will give you only a few millimeters of extra clearance.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587

TT lower arms:

Has everyone else has bad clearance issues?  The car is/was quite low admittedly but has been raised about 12mm all round and still catches.

It didnt seem to catch when very roughly set up, but did hourendously after alignment at BDM.

I'm going to raise it again but feel I'm just undoing the camber I bought the adjustable arms for in the 1st place?

Any input welcome  :drinking:

Hi Mike,

I would suspect that you are running >2 negative camber and 8x18 ET 45 TD's. Am I right?
With this setup my car would definitely have problems. I do not know how much Seat Leon's have front clearance but if you have rubbing issues than I would say you have 3 options:
1. remove the TT arms
2. see if you can do something to the inside of the fender so that the clearance will increase (the mk5 has a bolt that has to be removed and that gives more clearance.
3. buy some wider fenders (I am doing this at the moment; I am buying some Kerscher fenders but they don't have any products for Seat  :sad1:)
I'm afraid that by lowering the negative camber will give you only a few millimeters of extra clearance.

I will raise the car a little more and look at having the arches modified. 

I will scan the printout when I get chance.

Thanks very much for your input Rex

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Hope I can explain why the alignment caused the tyres to rub more.  The first problem (that I found on my car) is when fitting the TT arms with the whiteline walk kit the caster is increased by 2 degrees, or in other words, the wheel is pushed an extra 2ish cm towards the front of the car.  This alone gives clearance issues if the car is too low.  I got around this slightly by modifying the walk kit to allow the subframe to move back and decrease the caster and by raising the car 5mm.  The TT arms also increase the track width giving less clearance from the tyre to the arch.

When aligned to the required camber the track is increased more still and the caster very slightly too.

Raising the car should give more clearance and won't loose too much camber.  Raising 20mm would only loose 10mins of camber which would take your camber from -2.40 to -2.30.  Remembering that there are 60 mins in a degree.

Mike, it would be worth popping the arch liners off and trimming where it catches on the front behind the arch liner.

:driver:
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
I will raise the car a little more and look at having the arches modified. 

I will scan the printout when I get chance.

Thanks very much for your input Rex

Raising the car helps with the rubbing issues and it might even resolve them. It just depends how much higher you'll get... I didn't want to raise my car to much, that's why I am buying the wider fenders.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home

Thanks for the reminder on modifying the WALK Alex. It would have been much easier if Mark just let you do my car as planned as you have experienced all the issues with tuning this chassis.  :sad1:

Will I be putting further strain on different parts by filing out the Walk and moving the subframe forward with the current settings?

:drinking:

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
Once the walk is modded and the subframe moved back then the only thing you will need to do is have the alignment redone :(

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Would fitting the tt wishbones without a WALK help?

What if one was to use Superpro eccentric bushes...does this still push the wheel forward?

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home

Deposit taken on the miltek so next bits are:

New System by Nige @ BCS with a blueflame decat downpipe (as soon as Nige has the new tailpipe in stock)

Drill snapped screw out of subframe and replace cracked front under tray (next time I'm at VagCo)

Pay for Revo (tomorrow)

Await arrival of new ARB fitting kit & fit (3 week wait)

Have revo put on (when arb is fixed)

Driveshaft oil seal (next visit to VagCo)

modify WALK re do alignment With VrAlex (end of the month)

:party:

Save for diff, wmi, carbon bonnet, lexan rear window. 

Job done  :smiley:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
bloody cars why do we mod them

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
1. remove the TT arms

:happy2:

The first problem (that I found on my car) is when fitting the TT arms with the whiteline walk kit the caster is increased by 2 degrees,

It's just 30' (0.5°), Alex. So a few mm.

:wink:

Mike, if you have about -2°30' of camber now just reduce it to less than -2° and raise the front ~ 10 mm.
There will be still an improvement in front grip and turn in.

:driver:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
From the standard arms at normal ride height going to the tt arms with the walk kit and lowering the car added the 2 degs of caster. It went up to 9 degs 30 mins.

Offline dionet

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email

Deposit taken on the miltek so next bits are:

New System by Nige @ BCS with a blueflame decat downpipe (as soon as Nige has the new tailpipe in stock)

Going for the dual center tail pipes, or stock location?