Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear wheel bearing/warped rear disc?????????  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Muzza

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Rear wheel bearing/warped rear disc?????????
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:04:34 pm »
In need of some superior knowledge!  Had my current GTi for around 6 months and have been convinced since i got it that there is way too much noise from the rear n/s wheel.  Garage I bought it from insisted it was road noise. Bo#@%cks! :fighting: Was so cinvinced it was the wheel bearing I went and bought one.  Now got both rear wheels off and it seems like the noise is coming from the r/n/s brakes, warped rear disc?? Never heard of it myself. Should also say, no play on either of the rear wheels.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Candy White 3dr colour coded 06 GTi, work in progress...

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Rear wheel bearing/warped rear disc?????????
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »
Hi Mate

Have a good look at the inside half of you tyres tread. If there is a "saw tooth" wear pattern that is the source of your noise. Two new tyres got rid of my noise completely, some brands of tyres are worse than others.

It is very common on MK5 Gti's, there are plenty of posts on here to confirm that I'm not daft suggesting that. :jumping:

I've not heard of any similar noise from brake discs.

TonyZ

Offline Muzza

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Rear wheel bearing/warped rear disc?????????
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »
Cheers Tony

After a second and third opinion the consensus is that it's the rear discs that are worn and the lips on the inner edge are causing the noise.  New discs and pads ordered so will let you know how it goes. 
Candy White 3dr colour coded 06 GTi, work in progress...