Make a donation

Author Topic: Dodds GTTDi180  (Read 64852 times)

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: Dodds GTTDi180 2012 spec
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2012, 11:50:13 pm »
Few updated pictures of the car as it stands:

Patriotic much? What happens when you squeeze down little country lanes in Scotland. :smile:  

Fitted these tonight courtesy of Matt. Great deal on them and they totally transform the look of the car. :happy2:

Still to fit:

Waiting for VW to inspect round the boot handle as there's rust bubbling there too. :-(

Offline Alzak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2012, 06:05:59 am »
Hi

Where did You bought those LEDs

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2012, 08:52:14 am »
Hi

Where did You bought those LEDs

From here. http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51319.msg592954.html#msg592954  :happy2:
You drive a SEAT Leon I see. Possibly different bulb kit.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2012, 08:52:51 am »
Ok, here’s what’s been happening recently. I picked up a puncture at the weekend (a wee screw in my rear tyre). The tyre never lost on pressure so I didn’t get it fixed immediately. On Tuesday I took leave of my senses and popped into my local Kwik Fit on my way home from work. :stupid: The place was empty so my car was taken in straight away and put up on their two poster car lift. My concern began when the grease monkey didn’t know where the locking wheel key was. After I pointed to the boot I stood next to the car and watched him work. He noticed the wheels were ‘painted’, an aftermarket exhaust and the unmissable WALK bushes. :smile: I told him a few things about the Golf so he was sure to know I was at least semi intelligent towards car, etc. He couldn’t get the wheel off (probably due to it being powder-coated and being slightly tighter on the spigot. I have managed to remove all 4 wheels (for cleaning) before so I knew it wasn’t that tight. He decided a heavy rubber mallet was needed and after a handful of bashes the wheel came off and promptly fell some distance to the ground. Like buttered toast it landed face down first with an audible clunk. I didn’t complain immediately because I needed them to fix the puncture. Kwik Twit’s are well known for deciding not to fix the puncture just because they don’t like the look of the customer. They wouldn’t fix it anyway, stating that I must have run on the tyre completely flat (no chance) and that it wasn’t repairable. They then offered to replace my 5mm Toyo T1R with an asymmetric (to compliment my 3 other directional tyres) Ying Yong tyre for a reasonable twice the normal price. :scared: I politely told them where to go and left with my spare wheel on. I got home (5 mins away) and opened the boot, where they’d slung the wheel, and took pictures. With these being time-stamped and showing that they’d thrown my wheel on top of my personal possession (clothes, jigsaw puzzle, tools) I phoned the Thick Twit’s manager and told him what had happened. I was asked to come back and shown them the damage the next day.

Yesterday I went back and got the manager to look at the wheel/tyre in my boot. I specifically hadn’t touched it or moved any of my things underneath in order to show him exactly how I found it. His first reaction was that the damage was old, “See how there’s bubbling round about the damage there.” So I explained that powdercoat doesn’t bubble. “Well it’s rust then” he claims. My engineering degree helps explain to him the incredibly low iron content that Aluminium alloy contains (zilch). Finally I took him the workshop floor and pointed to him the dent in the floor where my wheel had landed and where flakes of my exact colour of wheel powdercoat still were. He conceded that yeah they were to blame and asked me to leave the wheel with them and he would get a company to repair it. After asking who it was (I deal with a few local wheel companies) he stated it’d be a ‘professional’ company, I pressed further and he replied ‘a sandblasting company’. After some more to-ing and fro-ing I have eventually managed to get it repaired at the company of my choice, i.e. the company who originally powdercoated the wheel. And Thick Twit’s will foot the bill. They also offered vouchers to compensate for the poor service. I told them I’d never set foot in a Kwik Fit branch again so no point taking the vouchers.

Result: one wheel re-finished as new. Puncture repaired by powder-coating company (no fuss) and I had a chance to have a good butcher’s under my car while it was on their lift. I’ve noticed some of my tyres are low so will be ordering new tyres thru the powdercoating company. Hopefully getting the wheel re-powdercoated and new tyres on next week.

Rant over.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:55:23 am by dodds-gttdi »

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2012, 09:44:46 am »
^^ I had the exact same problem with ATS when i needed mine tracking. I went in with the steering wheel slightly to the right and departed them with it way over to the left.... They also damaged my winter wheels aswell!

Glad you got it sorted and made them pay for the re-furb  :happy2: :party:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2012, 12:06:00 pm »
Sorry to hear about your troubles mate. This is a prime reason why I hate taking my car anywhere and have someone else work on it. Not all, but most have no proper skills for this sort of work and take no care at all. It wound me up just reading it. Can't imagine how frustrated you were. Glad the outcome was the right one.

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2012, 05:59:45 pm »
Looking good Dodds, although imo some colour coded skirts would finish it off nice.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2012, 11:28:02 am »
Thanks for the comments. Hoping to put my wheel in to get fixed this afternoon. Means I'll be running on my spare for a day or two though.  :sad1:

On the plus side I got a good look at my tyres and saw that the front two were on the limit and the rear two have worn down on the inside to about 1mm. This is due to me lowering the car a lot last August (Pi Springs), then onto Eibach Pro Springs earlier this year and not getting the rear camber corrected til April.  :laugh:

So I ordered 4 new tyres yesterday at 12:45. Camskill offer a same day dispatch if ordered before 1pm so I was hoping to catch that. Normally they deliver in one day but it can take up to 3 so they say. Tyres arrived at 11am today. Spot on. Sterling service (again).  :happy2:

I went for Kumho Ecsta KU37's (225/40/18 92W). They get a good write up for their price and are assymetric instead on my directional Toyo's they'll be replacing. I know Golf's normally sit on 92 Y tyres but my car is never gonna see 300kph (Y-Rating) or even 270kph (W-Rating).

I'm going a roadtrip up North of Scotland on Saturday for a week so will report back after that (800-1000 miles).  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:49:29 am by dodds-gttdi »

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2012, 11:32:51 am »
I'm going a roadtrip up North of Scotland on Saturday for a week so will report back after that (800-1000 miles).  :smiley:

Jealous! Have been to Scotland a couple of times but wanting to see a bit more of it. You'll have to do a trip report with plenty of photos  :happy2:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2012, 10:36:58 am »
Not too many pictures from last week but plenty miles driven. 1039 to be precise!!  :happy2: Had a great week of virtually no rain (once, for a couple of hours) so I got plenty of driving done. I went up with a Mk6 Golf and Honda Accord but toyed about with a whole range of cars; Fiesta Zetec S, Corsa VXR, MG ZS 2.5 V6 to name a few.

Tyre report: My Toyo's weren't down to the limit but when I changed them the car seemed a completely different animal. Going to asymmetric tyres meant a much quieter ride, a lot more comfortable and grippy beyond my requirements. The car was filled to the roof with people and luggage but still performed well in terms of handling, economy and power (saw off a few boy racers in the week). All in all, a good trip.  :happy2:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2012, 11:50:32 am »
Last night, I fitted my 17" Monza's with Nokian WR G2 Winter tyres. Only temporary as my Omanyt's are off whilst one get's re-powdercoated (Kwikfit :mad:)

Car feels quite different. The 17's are slightly comfier than the 18's (obv) but these tyres are great in the wet. We've had a flood of water ith last day (airports and major roads closed, etc) so they've been fully tested in the righ conditions. Looking forward to when the temperature drops below 7 (probs late October) where these tyres will really shine.

Will update with pictures when I get out of work. I'm heading straight to VW today to get my wings checked for warranty replacements. Fingers crossed!

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2012, 12:41:51 pm »
Got a call from Inch VW yesterday to book my car in for replacement wings. So far they are FOC and the dealer is working with VW UK on the bootlid. They presumed a 70% contribution from VW UK but will fight them to get it to 100%. I haven't asked them to do any of this and I didn't even need to show the dealer the Rust pdf to get them to offer me wing replacements. Big  :happy2: for Inch VW Bathgate.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2012, 03:05:14 pm »
They probably found out you won the lottery, And they are speculating to accumulate.  :wink:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2012, 10:17:45 am »
Wings booked in for the 15th of October. They're gonna repair the botlid for £160 also (70/30 contribution from VW UK apparently). I'm going to post up final rust pictures just before the car goes in and also ask for my wings back afterwards.

Here's a weekend picture up the Cairn Gorms

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2012, 02:22:50 pm »
Good to see the quick twits are at it again! Hope its up to scratch. The R36 wheels are growing on me... Nice car chap  :congrats: