Make a donation

Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 5833 times)

h4rdy

Re: Facebook
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:52 am »
I think Boothy had a good point though with the discussion issue.

Do we want major discussion topics on facebook?

SteveP what would you rather.
If it doesn't work out we can change it.

At the moment its just hellos and a few pictures and links.

to have discussions on the FB group you will loose traffic from this site....

I tend to use our facebook page as a way of promoting the site with news which contains links to the forum, that way your showing people whats happening and where they can find the information...

to set up a group and have discussions within that group you may as well close the forum and run the group only as your taking away good content and activity from this place and using the social platform...

not sure why its a locked group also? surely you'd want to promote the site openly rather than in secret to gain new members...

Offline jonm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 12
    • Staffs-VW
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 12:42:56 pm »
I think Boothy had a good point though with the discussion issue.

Do we want major discussion topics on facebook?

SteveP what would you rather.
If it doesn't work out we can change it.

At the moment its just hellos and a few pictures and links.

to have discussions on the FB group you will loose traffic from this site....

I tend to use our facebook page as a way of promoting the site with news which contains links to the forum, that way your showing people whats happening and where they can find the information...

to set up a group and have discussions within that group you may as well close the forum and run the group only as your taking away good content and activity from this place and using the social platform...

not sure why its a locked group also? surely you'd want to promote the site openly rather than in secret to gain new members...

I can quote too but it still doesn't answer anything  I raised?

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 01:56:29 pm »
Its a valid point which is why I raised it initially anf left the decision with the mods. The site was initially restricted until we had time to research the privacy settings etc and can be changed if need be.

As for taking content away from the forum then its a definate pos
sibilty and potentially one that can be solved by each member. If they begin using it like the forum then maybe it should be stopped, I dunno? The idea behind the site was so that people could see other members face to face and know a little about them.

Ultimately the decision is for the mods to make and the group can always be changed to page if need be. Myself and h4rdy just set this up to help out, with the blessing of the mods not to ruin what is an awsome forum.

Mods —-what's your opinion? Maybe put it to a vote?

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 02:04:25 pm »
Maybe the group can be changed to only allow posting by yhe admin staff. Then iy could just be used for say, events and photo albums with the details being emailled to myself or h4rdy in order for us to post it. That way it would restrict banter etc?

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 02:08:30 pm »
Maybe the group can be changed to only allow posting by yhe admin staff. Then iy could just be used for say, events and photo albums with the details being emailled to myself or h4rdy in order for us to post it. That way it would restrict banter etc?

You could argue there is not point in having the page if you block it to that extent.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 02:12:38 pm »
Maybe we should be asking what we want from the site? If its for discussions then is it really required? Surely the forum is for discussions?

Don't get me wrong, I like the facebook group BUT the last thing I want to do is ruin the forum.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 04:29:39 pm »
But it could enhance it. There could be a good thread on here and you could point people on fb towards it. I also think restricting membership of the Group page to invite only is a mistake, as it could alienate noobs who find the site via the facebook page. I certainly won't be joining a group where I have to ask to be let in!

:booty:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
I feel there are distinct differences to FB and the forum and the content and discussions will naturally differ. I cant see there will be any issue now or in the future, but rest assured I will keep a close eye on it.

Keep up the good work chaps!  :happy2: