Make a donation

Author Topic: Euro road trip (Pic Heavy!!!)  (Read 13478 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Euro road trip (Pic Heavy!!!)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:49 am »
:notworthy: :notworthy:

So envious. Austria and Germany are stunning.  :drool:

Im really going to miss Germany  when I move home end of this year :sad1:

I bet you are... you must be mad coming back here.  :roll eye: Me and laura have always said that if either of us got the chance of a job in germany we would go without thinking. LOVE IT.

Not entirely my choice, Mrs is wanting to move back to be closer to family so fighting a losing battle I changed my next posting preference to Uk.  Going to be grim  :sad1:

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »
great trip. Some great photo's too.

Did you feel out of place? or did you Dad and brother feel out of place?  GTI VS Motorcycles :P

Just one question really. How is your car so clean thru a 3500 miles road trip?

Looks like you guys had a great trip.

No we managed to get on quite well actually! There were very few times when we got split up, but while we were waiting for each other we could pull over and get vids like these:

And with regards to the condition of the car, the weather was fantastic for the whole trip, not a drop of rain. We were really lucky. All I had with me was some Autoglym glass cleaner and a microfibre cloth to get rid of the bugs on the windscreen and headlights!

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 12:37:11 pm »
Now that was a cracking photo montage. Excellent post and, I think, inspiring as well. I'd be very interested to read any reviews of places you stayed & so on. It would be helpful for anyone planning a similar trip next year (me!).

Well done Andy :congrats:

For the 1st night in Germany we stayed in a lovely B&B in Cochem, but for the rest of the trip we stayed in 'villas' at Eurocamps to keep costs down. It was a last minute decision that proved to be a very good idea. We were originally planning on taking a tent and just finding somewhere to stay day to day. But that would have been a nightmare! Instead we booked all the accomodation on the Eurocamp website a couple of days before the off and got a great deal, I think it worked out £15pp per night to stay in them, and they were great. They were all under 18months old and came with a kitchen, 3 bedrooms, a balcony, excellent shower, sittingroom and air con (a must btw!) Id recommend it to anyone thinking of doing a trip like this, as its hassle free and there are hundreds of sites across the continent. We stayed at a site near Innsbruck - Austria, one at Lake Guarda - Italy on the southern shore, one just outside Interlaken - Switzerland and one in Luxembourg. Heres a few pics to give you some idea:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:44:28 pm by Andy_GTI »

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 12:40:41 pm »

How did you select your route and stops andy?  I will be comming back to Europe after Ive moved back to Uk as there is still so much I havent seen / done

It was literally a case of cracking out the euro atlas, and saying "that looks nice, lets stay there" and then just playing dot to dot with the locations. We did have one advantage in that my parents used to go round europe regularly with the caravan when we were little, as my dad was serving in the armed forces in Germany, so they had a good idea of places to visit.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 12:43:36 pm »

How did you select your route and stops andy?  I will be comming back to Europe after Ive moved back to Uk as there is still so much I havent seen / done

It was literally a case of cracking out the euro atlas, and saying "that looks nice, lets stay there" and then just playing dot to dot with the locations. We did have one advantage in that my parents used to go round europe regularly with the caravan when we were little, as my dad was serving in the armed forces in Germany, so they had a good idea of places to visit.

Ah ha.

Thanks for the eurocamps mention too, never heard of them before will be worth a look when I want to come back to Germany / europe

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 02:49:48 pm »
My wife worked at Eurocamp on her gap year, and still says what good value they can be. Thanks for the tip, Andy
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Adamlee

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 09:33:26 pm »
This a great post and awesome pics! Fancy doing the same myself one day! I bet a black one wouldn't have been as clean  :innocent:

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 06:12:23 pm »
This a great post and awesome pics! Fancy doing the same myself one day! I bet a black one wouldn't have been as clean  :innocent:

Im already planning this years! :happy2: Hopefully cover more of Spain/Portugal Southern France this time, although nothing is set in stone yet. Really couldnt recommend doing it enough!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 06:17:58 pm »
Great story & pics. :happy2:  :congrats:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:48 pm »
Love trips like this infact have a few of the same pics as you. Me and jhtrophy do these trips every year bloody awesome fun  :driver:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 03:32:58 pm »
Must admit It'd be better doing it with a fellow enthusiast instead of the folks and my brother on their bikes

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:51 pm »
Must admit It'd be better doing it with a fellow enthusiast instead of the folks and my brother on their bikes
............mk5 GTI euro road trip.  :driver:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

diesel junior

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 06:17:49 pm »
Really enjoyed reading this thread and the pics with it, thanks for sharing! We sometimes forget what we have on our doorstep i think, dead right the comments about Austria and Switzerland they are just stunning, mind you dont forget Scotland either especially north of Inverness, few gatsos either  :happy2:

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 09:57:43 am »
............mk5 GTI euro road trip.  :driver:

Hmmm :driver:  :smiley:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 10:20:22 am »
cool trip mate  :happy2:

i did something similar last year, might post them up too