Make a donation

Author Topic: Oulton Park - 31st of July  (Read 7197 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Oulton Park - 31st of July
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 09:36:22 pm »
Could do

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 09:38:31 pm »
Does any one know if spectating is free at this track day or is there still a small gate fee.  :smiley:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 10:56:32 pm »
Free, drive straight into the paddock too.
Sideways yo!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 09:53:39 am »
Really good day, car performed faultlessly with the exception of one part - the tyres. F1 assyms.

Initialy I thought I'd been picking up muck and lumps of pad on the brakes causing vibration scrubbing speed, soon realised it was the tread blocks on the tyres moving. Couldn't get the pressures right, they'd be ok, go crap and then come good again... guess I just have to accept that I can't track it on road tyres on a warm/dry day, it's just too heavy. Epic grip though, and the fact they've done 2 'Ring trips, Donnington, Curborough and Oulton along with getting me to work and back each day - you can't really argue I've not had my money's worth out of them.

Otherwise, balance was perfect. I was a bit rough with it, so probably didn't look the smoothest out there. I wanted to learn what it was like when you had it by the scruff of the neck on familiar ground. Threw it about like a maniac and it just give it right back in bucket loads, rewarding a flick of oversteer with a nice tuck of the nose and so easily controlled on the limit. Managed a Tiff style 70mph tail slide all through Druids, more by chance than talent, but the car flattered my 'save' and I'm sure it looked pretty cool.... small things amuse small minds as they say!

Brakes, didn't fade once, although they've now got gold, rather than silver calipers from the heat.
Suspension and ARBs, perfect for that track.
Geo, I could probably get the rear a bit looser now I know what I can do with it.
Power, was keeping good pace with a Carrera 2S in a few sessions. I was stripped out mind.

Oh, and that Schroth harness is worth its weight in gold. Never got uncomfortable and held me in perfectly, allowing me to feel the car a lot more.

Timed the last session and my best 1 up with bugger all fuel was a 2:10.

Nice to see TC and meet Matt, hope you had a decent day.

** await's TC's passenger report.
Sideways yo!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 01:00:59 pm »
 :happy2:
nice tony , shame I was working  :chicken:
what was the best psi for the tyres ?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 03:27:58 pm »
First off i am very appreciative of the passenger lap, it gave me a great insight, and a good look at what to expect.  :party:
Also Mike is being very modest, he is one very good driver.   :notworthy: The car was flying round that track believe me and Mike looked like he was on a Sunday drive. I was aghast at how smooth and composed he and his car was.  :congrats:
And as for the set up of his car, well again i was pretty amazed tons of grip, no wheelspin at all virtually no rubbing just that slight juddering under braking.   :pomppomp:
The car was on the limit 95% of the time and it was so composed only the tyre squeal was letting us know that we were keeping up with a Carerra.  :rolleye:

I really need to get my car on a track. I loved it.  :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 09:26:35 pm »
John, if it is a cold/damp day then I found 2.1BAR front and 2.2BAR rear is a pretty good place to start. Depending on where you are, you may need to drop a touch more from the nearside front.

A warm/dry day I can't find a 'right' setting, tried 2.0BAR cold and tweaked from there, but with no real change to be fair.. the car is just too heavy for road tyres on track.

TC, I'm rather flattered - thanks.  :smiley:
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 10:16:33 pm »
Forgot to post the couple of pics, ther not very good but its not easy taking a shot of a car doing a ton plus.  :surprised:

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 09:34:12 pm »
Just thought id share my pics of this one..........(selfishly they are all of me but only because Ibought a cd)

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/steveyd/

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 09:45:05 pm »
Just thought id share my pics of this one..........(selfishly they are all of me but only because Ibought a cd)

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/steveyd/

Nice how much did they cost.  :happy2: