Make a donation

Author Topic: Access to rear bulbs  (Read 1526 times)

Offline els904

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Access to rear bulbs
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:38:25 am »
Hi.

I've had my GTi for nearly a year now (though it is an 08 chassis it only had 140 miles on the clock when I bought it - one of those dealer oddities).

I'm taking it abroad next week and have got the statutory spare bulb kit and thought it might be an idea if I actually knew how to replace the bulbs if necessary.

I'm a little stumped by the rear cluster. I've found a slot in the boot lining which I can just get my hand through.  Am I meant to actually change the bulb through this hole or is it there simply to aid removal of the lining.

If so does it necessitate the removal of any trim. It's still a bit new for me to rip things out willy-nilly - especially as nothing actually needs changing at this stage.

Where's the Haynes Manual when you need it?

Thanks in anticipation

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: Access to rear bulbs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:17:30 am »
you need to remove the rear cluster and there is a flap which houses the bulbs
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »
the slot is useless tbh, you see the trim that goes up the side of the boot and along the bottom (black plastic) just pull that away from the side as its on clips. then it will free the carpet behind it. This will allow you to pull the carper out of the way, which in turn allows you to see the back of the tail light. theres two nuts, undo these and the rear connection and the whole unit just pulls off. This will allow acces to the rear bulb.

make sense?
My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline els904

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:47:46 pm »
the slot is useless tbh, you see the trim that goes up the side of the boot and along the bottom (black plastic) just pull that away from the side as its on clips. then it will free the carpet behind it. This will allow you to pull the carper out of the way, which in turn allows you to see the back of the tail light. theres two nuts, undo these and the rear connection and the whole unit just pulls off. This will allow acces to the rear bulb.

make sense?

Yes thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 10:57:38 pm »
Its detailed in the manual.

First time I was a bit skeptical that you were supposed to removed the entire cluster from the car but it actually makes it the easiest car I've ever had to change bulbs on.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:35:31 am »

make sense?

Yes thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning.

good luck let us know if you have any problems
My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline els904

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 03:09:49 pm »
Its detailed in the manual.

Except that my car hasn't got the removable trim as shown in the manual.

However, I unclipped the bit around the opening (I was hesitant about that bit because I've broken too many things in the past by assume that there were clips where there weren't) and have seen enough to feel confident about changing the bulbs if I have to. Perhaps I'll take the cluster off when it stops raining.

Thank you all for your help.

I don't propose taking a spare Xenon bulb with me, but I was glad to see that there is a switch to change the dip direction so I won't have to worry about headlamp convertors.