Make a donation

Author Topic: disappointing performance continued....UPDATED after a day at MRC Tuning  (Read 18979 times)

Offline RunRabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: disappointing performance continued....
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 09:29:48 pm »
For it to be overfuelling on a std map and aftermarket map then there's something consistantly wrong with the car and not the map. It's either got a boost leak and chucking in fuel for the amount of air it expects to recieve, the MAF is faulty and telling the ECU that there's more air than there is or the O2 sensor is telling the ECU that the there's not enough fuel in the exhaust fumes and chucking in more to compensate.

I can't see a lot else being wrong tbh, there's only certain reasons that a car really overfuels

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 10:06:42 pm »
how can you diagnose where the problem is coming from? all through VAGCOM while driving the car?

am told that there is nothing wrong with the MAF but will get them to check again..

no chance its the second PCV that hasnt been replaced?
Candy white GTI, MRC tuning Remap - the rest will remain standard...

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:28 pm »
What did he say about the MAF?  May be worth plugging another one in, just to test.  I think a sensor is fooling the ECU into thinking it needs to fuel.  Is the Air filter ok?  Bear in  mind where the car was imported from, that sand gets everywhere...........

I think theres been a mixup along the way with his documented engine code...because cars are LHD in the UAE, therefore meaning that his car can't have come from there  :smiley:

the fact that UAE is LHD is not a reason for the car to have not been imported via there.  A lot of BIG dealerships buy cars and stockpile them.

On thread, I hope you get it sorted.  I still think that something is telling the brain (ECU) to send more fuel, so the ECU is doing as it is told.  All the ECU does is act like a big calculator, lots of inputs, and several outputs.

:confused:

Offline RunRabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14:38 pm »
how can you diagnose where the problem is coming from? all through VAGCOM while driving the car?

am told that there is nothing wrong with the MAF but will get them to check again..

no chance its the second PCV that hasnt been replaced?

Could well be the second PCV, it's worth looking at before you start looking at bigger things.

Borrow a fellow members MAF and O2 sensor, I don't know how long they take to change on the TFSI but I can't imagine it being long.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14:42 pm »
Maybe the ECU is faulty?

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »

Big turbo I presume?? 395hp is a pretty a 'optimistic' claim for a K04 car..

i know they've mapped a GTI with a GT30 turbo on it to just over 400bhp, so i reckon he's got one of those.

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 10:21:35 pm »
MRC did mention that they could overide the ECU code to tell it to send the right amount of fuel but that still doesnt solve the problem of why its over fueling in the first place....

they are going to change the fuel filter - will get them to have a look at the second PCV and another look at the MAF

then do diagnostics while the car is driven to try and find a faulty sensor.

after that f*ck knows what could be causing the problem unless its just a particuarly sh*t engine

Offline RunRabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 10:23:35 pm »
MRC did mention that they could overide the ECU code to tell it to send the right amount of fuel but that still doesnt solve the problem of why its over fueling in the first place....

they are going to change the fuel filter - will get them to have a look at the second PCV and another look at the MAF

after that f*ck knows what could be causing the problem unless its just a particuarly sh*t engine

What's your mpg like? Any white smoke on boost? Does it make full boost?

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 10:25:57 pm »
Are you getting any support from the dealer that sold you this car as if it were mine i would be demanding something! Technically they haven't they mis-sold you this vehicle as something it isn't, if im not mistaken. I hope you manage to get it sorted anyway!

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 10:28:47 pm »

What's your mpg like? Any white smoke on boost? Does it make full boost?

mpg isnt great, car is definitely running full boost according to VAGCOM. no white smoke. i did get nearly 100 miles to a 1/4 tank recently wiht a mixture of stop start london driving and motorway which seems about right

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »
Are you getting any support from the dealer that sold you this car as if it were mine i would be demanding something! Technically they haven't they mis-sold you this vehicle as something it isn't, if im not mistaken. I hope you manage to get it sorted anyway!

i bought the car from yorkshire and i live in london but have been in touch, they offered to give me my money back on the car if i wanted.

to get the same spec car i have from VW is around 14.5k / 15k which is money i dont have.

i paid 13k
car specs:
DSG
electric sunroof
xenons
electric seat
parking sensor
5 door
6 cd disc changer
multi function steering wheel
color coded bumbers

problem was when i took it to a local VW garage they couldnt find a problem with the car, they ran diagnostics and couldnt find anything so there wasnt much i could go to the dealer i bought the car from with....

once i find the full scale of the problem i will be contacting them asking for money towards the repairs i have had to pay for even though the car is under warranty...

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:51:11 pm by duncan »

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 10:35:34 pm »

i bought the car from yorkshire and i live in london but have been in touch, they offered to give me my money back on the car if i wanted.

to get the same spec car i have from VW is around 14.5k / 15k which is money i dont have.

i paid 13k
car specs:
electric sunroof
xenons
electric seat
5 door
6 cd disc changer
multi function steering wheel
color coded bumbers

problem was when i took it to a local VW garage they couldnt find a problem with the car, they ran diagnostics and couldnt find anything so there wasnt much i could go to the dealer i bought the car from with....

once i find the full scale of the problem i will be contacting them asking for money towards the repairs i have had to pay for even though the car is under warranty...

I understand your quandry now, hopefully you will get to the bottom of this soon and with the minimum amount of outlay! :happy2:

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 11:38:11 pm »
Glass guide says i should get 13100 px with my extras; maybe i should try and px it for an ED30 and pay 4k off over 5 years...

found a couple of nice ones for about 17k from VW

only worth it if i got what i paid for it px and am guessing thats unlikley..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:00:50 am by duncan »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 12:00:15 am »
Right Duncan.  :rolleye:

Here is my advice

First off go back to the company you bought the car off, and kindly ask them will they honor the deal they offered you of giving you your money back, tell them you would like to persevere with fixing the car but you need to set a time limit on it as you cant go one throwing money and time at it.
once you have that to fall back on get back to sorting this car. Stop buying bits for it and dont buy a re- map just get the standard car back to good health. As John - o has said if you add bits without finding out the problem it will make it harder to trace and could exasperate the problem.
Even if you need to give it back and get a new car, a few more weeks of reading on here will change your knowledge of what to look out for and what to avoid. Hope this helps  :smiley:

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 12:04:09 am »
Right Duncan.  :rolleye:

Here is my advice

First off go back to the company you bought the car off, and kindly ask them will they honor the deal they offered you of giving you your money back, tell them you would like to persevere with fixing the car but you need to set a time limit on it as you cant go one throwing money and time at it.
once you have that to fall back on get back to sorting this car. Stop buying bits for it and dont buy a re- map just get the standard car back to good health. As John - o has said if you add bits without finding out the problem it will make it harder to trace and could exasperate the problem.
Even if you need to give it back and get a new car, a few more weeks of reading on here will change your knowledge of what to look out for and what to avoid. Hope this helps  :smiley:

thats good advice.

when i was at the rolling road today they put the car back to stock ECU settings and that came out rich but was running at 195bhp which is pretty close to standard.

was thinking getting the remap was actually a good form of diagnostics as when the car is being pushed more its revewaling the weaknesses, if that makes sense....

am going to phone the garage i bought the car from tomorrow and have another chat with them.

otherwise may consider pxing it and getting an ED30...

big difference between insurance on a GTI vs ED30?