Make a donation

Author Topic: Been offered the following from VW as winter alloys any views  (Read 5531 times)

Offline WolverineMAc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Been offered the following from VW as winter alloys any views
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 03:20:06 pm »
Thats was the impression I got aswell.

Told them I had found the following alloys :

6.5Jx16H2 ET 50 5x112 and they said that these would not work as the offset is not right, one of 3 things is happening either they do not know what they are talking about; do know what they are talking about; or bullsxxxting me.

Mk5 Gti Edition 30, Manual, Tornado Red

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 03:42:25 pm »
It is just the cost of 18" winter tyres they are at least £75 more expensive per quarter compared to 16's.  Have found a german VW winter tyres pdf and they are suggesting 17" not 16" for some reason.

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/fileadmin/pdf/prospekte/2010/Winterkomplettradkatalog_2010_gb.pdf

17" is more of a good compromise between the great handling of our cars and the lower cost on wintertyres. I have had both 17" and 18" on my GTI, and to be frank i feel that 17" are the best solution, (i have 18" atm). you still have the excellent handling of the GTI but relativly "cheap" wintertyres on offer plus i feel with the very white winters we have had the last 3 seasons they seem to grip better in the lose snow.
IMO you should not even consider 16" for the GTI. Buy a cheap car instead for winter use  :wink:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 03:44:57 pm »
I would have thought, for winter wheels you want as much tyre as possible, personally I wouldn't use 18's or 17's but 16's.

do 16s fit over the GTIs brakes?
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »
I would have thought, for winter wheels you want as much tyre as possible, personally I wouldn't use 18's or 17's but 16's.

do 16s fit over the GTIs brakes?

I would say yes, as 17" fits over the R32 345mm setup. But that's no reason for going 16" on the GTI  :P

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 06:52:55 pm »
Yeah, 16's fit over GTI brakes. I have them on my car and have had to use my OEM wheels from time to time (between refurbs/wheels swaps)

as far as I can remember, mine are 16x6.5" ET51. Tyres are 205/55/16. Let me know if you find good priced 16 inch winter tyres as I'm on the lookout too.  :happy2:

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »
Quote from: danishmkvgti link=topic=35690.msg431916#msg431916 date=1317652945

[/quote

17" is more of a good compromise between the great handling of our cars and the lower cost on wintertyres. I have had both 17" and 18" on my GTI, and to be frank i feel that 17" are the best solution, (i have 18" atm). you still have the excellent handling of the GTI but relativly "cheap" wintertyres on offer plus i feel with the very white winters we have had the last 3 seasons they seem to grip better in the lose snow.
IMO you should not even consider 16" for the GTI. Buy a cheap car instead for winter use  :wink:

I'm with Danish on this one and he has got a lot more experience than most with winter tyres :notworthy:

Last winter I used winter tyres (for the first time) on a 2nd hand set of 17 Monza's; the reasons being I got some cheap, they to tend to come up for sale all the time (except for now!) I wanted to maintain the look of the GTI, the monza's are such an easy wheel to clean, they are OEM so didn't cause any issues with Insurance, we do get snow but not as much as the rest of Europe so I wanted to maintain good grip for dry and wet days, 225 winter tyres offer much greater grip than a normal tyre on the type of snow we get and are a great balance between winter snow use and winter dry/wet use.

My wheels were cleaned and polished (again) in the summer and i will be keeping an eye on the temp and forecast to decided when these go back on the car - probably some time after the half term holidays.

With all the power/torque of the GTI I wouldn't like to run thinner tyres than 225

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:07:22 pm by Eccie »

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 10:15:24 pm »
225 winter's do work well in my view.
Last year I picked up a set of 18" Pescaras and we ran 225/40 winter tyres on the other half's Mk5 GT Diesel.
Up from the normal 17" Classix. The winter tyres were £170 a corner (Continental Ts830P) and they were awesome all winter, cannot recommend them high enough. Either way I'm a definite convert to the winter tyre idea.

The Mk5 GT has now turned into an A4 avant, so we've just ordered 245/40/18 (same model) and will run the 225's on my Golf. Well worth all the cash and the messing about every autumn/spring in my book.
Personally using the clock change as a rough guideline for the likely moment to change the boots.

Offline WolverineMAc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 11:26:04 pm »
offered them £825 for 4 winter tyres and the R32 alloys all in.  At the moment 17" Monza's are going for two much, I have no idea how you guys get your bargins.

Offline WolverineMAc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 12:57:25 pm »
Update - From VW

Sorry for the late reply I was out of the office yesterday.

If we where to go ahead with the original price I quoted it would come to £1020 inc VAT I have spoken to my service manager Paul Wilson and he has asked if we could meet halfway on the price would £900 Inc VAT be a more acceptable outcome for you?

At this price the tyres would stay the same price (£720 Inc VAT for the set) but the wheels would be £180 Inc VAT.

If you wish to go ahead with the purchase I would need to know ASAP to purchase the tyres from Goodyear.

Any further questions please feel free to ask

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »
I'd say you're getting a good deal there.

Offline WolverineMAc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 04:35:28 pm »
Deal done, for £850 they are going to swap the 2 goodyear tyres on the alloys with the Fullrun's i have on the front and store until they require changing.  Aparantely i have order the last 4 goodyears in stock