Make a donation

Author Topic: digital SLRs? 100% Clueless  (Read 5195 times)

Offline cal tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
  • dub or die
digital SLRs? 100% Clueless
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:41:50 pm »
im looking at getting an SLR but wouldnt know were to start for the life of me.

What price range should i be looking at for beginner/intermediate use? makes, models etc?

Any advice much appreciated
Candy weiß Mk6 GTI - Stage 2

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: digital SLRs? 100% Clueless
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:09:47 pm »
dpreview.com for info.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline icenutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:47:04 am »
Budget really depends on what you can afford.  Look at a Canon 450d and Nikon D40, then move up if you can afford it.  There are some nice looking models out there made by Sony/Samsung, Panasonic etc, but you can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon really.

To be honest I reckon that most of the current DSLRs out there are pretty good, so anything you get won't be rubbish.

To 'teach' youself photography, I'd just buy magazines for a few months and it will all start to fit together.  The main thing to sort out in your head is how aperture and shutter speed inter-relate.
Get all your sports nutrition products here; http://www.myprotein.co.uk and use the code MP73153 to get 5% off your first order.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:07:38 pm »
I read a book called Understanding Exposure by a chap called Bryan Peterson.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Camera/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239717938&sr=8-1

Very helpful and informative. In fact I have just bought several of his other books and they are all very good. This one especially.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Digital-Photography-Techniques-Pictures/dp/0817437967/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239717938&sr=8-5

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:27:23 pm »
i bought this.....

Cost £220, and is 10.1 megapixel, 18x zoom and had great reviews.
Panasonic lumix FZ28 black. Comes with some good cd rom stuff to mess around with your pictures. Pc world and jessops stock them, or hunt online to get about £30 saving from store price.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 04:38:16 pm »
I've got a 450D and I'm a beginner.

I find it easy enough to use and the auto settings are excellent & intuative enough for when you've not got time to be messing around with stuff and want a quick 'snap'. When you have got time, there's a mind boggling amount of stuff they'll do too.

The only reason I chose it over the Nikon was because there's seemingly more choice in aftermarket bits available for Canons and those bits are cheaper too compared to Nikon upgrades. I might be wrong, but that's how it looked to me.
Sideways yo!

Offline Toptrump

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 06:08:03 pm »
I too am a complete beginner although I managed to splash out about £600 on a camera and lens.  I have a Canon 400D and the reason for that is other peoples opinion of the 350D the model it replaced and the price compared to others.  I don't think there is any reason to go deeper into the camera price range at the beginner stage as the costs just go skywards.  On top of that I got the Canon 55-250 lens because it was mainly for learning motorsport.

I always use the Manual mode and try and learn as I am taking pictures.  But if it all goes wrong throw it in auto and take some shots.
Walk softly and carry a big gun!

neo66

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »
My dad got me the Cannon 450d, awesome bit of kit. Liveview with it compared to the nikon at the £400/500 mark.
Got good awards and reviews. Took it to Canada the last time I went, quite robust under extreme circumstances.

Offline cal tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
  • dub or die
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:38:14 pm »
 :happy2:

some good info to get my teeth into

cheers guys
Candy weiß Mk6 GTI - Stage 2

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 11:07:52 pm »
I wonder what issues people are having with their 350d's as mine has been fine after 3 years!

I'd recommend it to any beginner, along with a couple of second hand lenses, filters and a tripod.  Then the fun begins! :)
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline Steve Baker

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:46:48 pm »
I have been using the Canon EOS system since 1986 when their first auto focus EOS 650 was launched. The beauty of a decent digital SLR system is the lenses are 'mostly' inter changeable so once you have invested in good lenses if you upgrade or re-new the body the lenses will still fit!  :happy2:
Try and buy the more expensive lenses. The quality of the glass used in the optics is always far superior and will ultimately reward you. Also if you wish to sell 2nd hand they hold their value remarkably well. Buying fast lenses
(F2.8 or below ) will be a benefit in difficult low light situations too.
I have progressed through EOS 650, 600, 1' 1N, 3, 10D, and now on a 40 D and would recommend Canon to anybody looking to buy their first DSLR. They are very simple to operate fully auto or can give you as much flexibility in your photography as you want. Hope you get want you want.  :wink:
Steve Baker

Offline gadget

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »
I have just upgraded my 350D to a 40D and kept all my better lenses.

Due to the fact the 40D is being discontinued you can get it at a good price for a Pro Camera the quality difference is HUGE over the 450D.

It may be a Pro Camera but it does still suit a beginner as 80% of the time mine is on Auto.

Spend what you can but I warn you now it is a bug and you will get addicted.

Golf GTi Edition 30-Grey - 5 Door - DSG
APS Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res Exhaust, R32 Brakes, Eibach Springs, Eibach ARB's, Carbon Speed Air Intake, Forge DV.
And much more to come.