Make a donation

Author Topic: Does anyone drive uprated speakers off headunit?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Alexander

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Does anyone drive uprated speakers off headunit?
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:53:17 am »
Does anyone have uprated speakers and headunit and not drive them through an external amp?wondering if this is going to sound decent enough until I save up for a decent amp install.
then again anything has got to sound better than standard!
2005 Black Audi A3 Sportback TDI-Bose and Full Leather
2005 Black 3Dr GTI-Leather and Upgraded Sound System-Gone

Offline bennylenny88

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • needs moar lowwww
    • Email
Re: Does anyone drive uprated speakers off headunit?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 12:17:23 pm »
its a defo no no. i was running high qualitly hertz speakers in my mk5 on the standard hu just before i sold it and it sounded horrible. you`ll defo need to run a amp

2 x cerwin vega 15" subs and MTX 1000D amp with box and complete wiring for sale.. PM for details

Offline Alexander

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:24:16 pm »
sorry didnt make myself clear i meant using an uprated headunit as well and just using the 4x50w internal amp in that

Offline bennylenny88

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • needs moar lowwww
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 12:48:33 pm »
ohh.. well id still recommend using a amp because you`ll defo get better quality from that :happy2:

2 x cerwin vega 15" subs and MTX 1000D amp with box and complete wiring for sale.. PM for details

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:17:22 pm »
i'm running hertz up front and polyglass V1's in the rear powered only by the Pioneer headunit, when i took the car to see my audio guy and he sat in it to listen to what i have already he was impressed with the volume and bass i was getting - any he's won tonnes of sound off compsĀ  :party:

i was planning to amp the speakers but i simply dont need to, just gunna run an amp for the sub

so my short answer is if you get the right match up then it's all good

Offline Alexander

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:10:29 pm »
thanks VC think ill give it a go!will make sure I carefully match up headunit and speakers , done quite a few audio installs, never done anything with 3 ways though so wondered how they would drive off 50w.
will be saving up the pennies for a real top notch amp install so its nice and hidden!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:06:17 pm »
I'm driving the rear coax's off the head unit (Kenwood DNX 7200) and it sounds spot on. The front 3 ways and the sub are driven off a 4 way Audison amp. All the speakers are Hertz "Hi-energy" range and are excellent quality. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 08:57:49 pm »
In my Mk2 Octavia I had uprated speakers. DLS 6.5 components upfront and DLS coaxials in the rear.
Initially this was driven by an Alpine 9583 if I remember correctly. I hated it, couldn't make it sound right, so put the standard HU back.
Then came a MFD2 which was light years ahead and finally I ended up running those speakers from a RNS510 (Columbus in Skoda speak).

To my aging ears it sounded pretty good. In fact better than the current RNS510 and 10 speakers I have in the Golf.

For me I think the speakers need to be the first port of call as I am a fan of the RNS. If I can amp them then even better. :smiley: